Observations After 9 Days Of Scooter Ownership

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

TomCat

Observations After 9 Days Of Scooter Ownership

Post by TomCat »

After a week+ of getting familiar with the scooter, here's what I've discovered:
1) Riding one of these is like trying to balance a chair on a skateboard.
It's MUCH easier to control when both feet are hanging over the sides of the floorboard. I can see where foot pegs or highway bars would help with stability, especially in turns. I gotta get one or the other.
2) The center stand is a bee-ach to use, at least for me, now. I've read posts & watched videos on how to do it but it's still a struggle, & I weigh a pretty solid 170 lbs. Maybe it'll get easier with practice.
3) Seems to me that riding a scooter is more difficult than riding a motorcycle because you straddle a motorcycle, like a bicycle (see #1).
4) If you use the kick start (which I did just to try it out) remember to fold the peddle back before taking the scoot off the center stand. Otherwise they will jam together :oops:

I'm still just riding through the subdivision getting used to the handling characteristics but hopefully will soon feel comfortable enough to take the scoot out into the big bad world of cars & such.
Tom
Other ride--- Lifted '08 Suzuki SX4 AWD

"Quotes on the Internet cannot always be considered as factual" ------- Abraham Lincoln
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

I'd recommend taking a MSF course for some hands on riding training.

Also, practice. Scooters are easier to balance at 10 to 15mph then they are at 3 to 5mph. If you feel the need to have both feet hanging off to the side, then you need some more time in the seat :) I promise that after a few hundred miles and a few months, you'll laugh reading this post. (Most of us went through something similar when first starting).
Mutt the Hoople

Post by Mutt the Hoople »

Having a hard time with the center stand? You aren't holding the left brake are you? Mine pretty much roll up on the center stand with their own weight. My Buddy is easy. My Vespa GTV was harder until someone gave me a tip and I changed my position a bit. But the first day or so I had my Buddy I tried to get of on the center stand while gripping the front brake and I could do it but it was a bitch.
96 Decibel Freaks
ericalm
Site Admin

Re: Observations After 9 Days Of Scooter Ownership

Post by ericalm »

TomCat wrote:After a week+ of getting familiar with the scooter, here's what I've discovered:
1) Riding one of these is like trying to balance a chair on a skateboard.

3) Seems to me that riding a scooter is more difficult than riding a motorcycle because you straddle a motorcycle, like a bicycle (see #1).
LOL. The RH50 has different ergonomics and riding position than a lot of other scoots, and the teetering feeling is a little more pronounced. The RH is very light and has a more upright seating position than some others. Even just sitting on one, I feel like I'm leaning out over the handlebars. It's one of those "you get used to it" things, I imagine. Every time I ride a new/different scooter for any significant amount of time, it takes some adjusting to.

As far as #3, tell that to motorcyclists! In time, you'll discover that the scooter is easier and also much more maneuverable than a motorcycle thanks to the small wheels.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
TTaM

Post by TTaM »

TomCat wrote:3) Seems to me that riding a scooter is more difficult than riding a motorcycle because you straddle a motorcycle, like a bicycle (see #1).
But on the scoot you don't need to worry about the clutch or gearbox. Its also way lighter, so stopping at lights there's much less of a concern of dropping it.

My scooter is great around town. I hate riding my motorcycle in the city. Mainly the weight and turning radius.
spr0k3t

Post by spr0k3t »

1. You get used to it. Each set up is different.
2. Easiest way to do the center stand, put your left hand on the left handgrip, right hand on the rear rack. put the center stand down and rock the scooter a little until the stand hits both points evenly. Stand on the lever and pull. The weight of you standing on the center stand lever should just roll the scooter right up on to the stand with very little effort.
3. This is one you just have to get used to. The smaller wheels means less stability at higher speeds. Less weight overall as well. Soaking wet the scooter is less than 300lbs.
4. One option would be to either get a longer kickstart, or a shorter centerstand. Only get a shorter center stand if you have lowered the scooter though. However, yes that is a bit of a pain with the RH50.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Be wary of the center stand. Snapped two welds on my center stand of my Rattler in 2 months of regular commuting.
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I guess it also should be asked: are you parking on any kind of incline? that'll multiply the force you need.

I'm a solid 175+, and at first I was like "wtf? how do I...."

now I can do it just flicking down my leg. you really do get used to it. My Zuma was harder since the stand was placed differently.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Welcome to scootering and welcome to Modern Buddy! We love riding reports from new riders.

The centerstand thing is a thing. I can't use use one because it gives me a backache every time. I think it's a geometry thing, but I'm done arguing the point. I just wrapped my brain around the ins-and-outs of using the side stand and went on with life.

Meanwhile enjoy learning to ride! :D
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

neotrotsky wrote:Be wary of the center stand. Snapped two welds on my center stand of my Rattler in 2 months of regular commuting.

Seriously Neo, you must have gotten the biggest piece of crap Rattler on the face of the planet.
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
zuki

Post by zuki »

check out this video on the center stand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIdS421acos
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

I don't know what the center stand on the RH is like, but on the Buddy, it's dead easy to center stand it. I'm 4'10" and weight just about 100lbs and I can center stand my Buddy without any issue. The lever on the stand is so long that it provides great leverage. I just basically stand on it while pulling the scooter backwards and it pops right up. Also, as a result of getting good at doing the center stand on my Buddy, I'm now able to centerstand my partner's People 150 (which I've also been riding some). Now, that scooter is much more difficult to get on the stand. But anyhow, the moral of the story is, once you figure out the proper technique, it'll be much easier. The basics are, make sure you get both legs of the stand on the ground, then push down on the lever with your foot while pulling the scooter backwards. You might want to pull up a bit at the back of the scooter, also. You can even stand on the lever to use all of your weight.
Abbott

Post by Abbott »

Is there an elegant way to take it OFF the center stand? I have just been hitting the steering column with my belly like a sumo wrestler but I always feel...unladylike.
spr0k3t

Post by spr0k3t »

Wheelz wrote:
neotrotsky wrote:Be wary of the center stand. Snapped two welds on my center stand of my Rattler in 2 months of regular commuting.

Seriously Neo, you must have gotten the biggest piece of crap Rattler on the face of the planet.
No kidding... I read through some of his fantastic history with it. Worst I've ever heard from a PGO release scooter.
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

You will gain stability. After riding only 1500 miles in 6 months I can stop at light and keep my feet on the scooter for several seconds. The balance comes with time. My dad put the roughhouse into a very soft bush after a less than 40 minutes if riding. So take you time.

Roughhouse center stand is terrible, period. Buddy 125 stand=awesome. Buddy 50 stand=so so. The roughhouse rides with more front weight bias than a buddy, it has much more legroom, the seat is too thin for extended rides. The handling is so so. Not as flickable as a buddy as it requires a deliberate approach to make it lean. The front forks are totally inadequate for off road riding. My research indicates a slightly higher top speed and bigger carburetor on the roughhouse. My roughhouse with a pipe and tuning will cruise at 43 mph GPS verified which is 52 mph indicated. I weigh 260 lbs.

NEO, your rattler was unlucky.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

feet hanging off the sides! :rofl:

these things are so easy to ride its laughable
Riding is riding
jprestonian

Post by jprestonian »

Abbott wrote:Is there an elegant way to take it OFF the center stand? I have just been hitting the steering column with my belly like a sumo wrestler but I always feel...unladylike.
I've always done all the scooters I ride just the opposite of putting them ON the stand -- stand beside, grasp left handlebar and rack, tug sideways (forward on the scoot), then toss a leg over and then get down to business.
TomCat

Post by TomCat »

Hey, thanks all for the constructive & informative replies!
I have now learned that the RH50 has an unusually high center of gravity for a scooter, so it's not just me.
Also, that the center stand on a RH is probably the most difficult to use of any Genuine product. The extension on the end of the stand is all of 1" long, another inch or two would make it much easier to use (that's what she said,,,haha).
One final observation:
the CVT is great except from a dead stop (ESPECIALLY when turning). There is no gradual engagement, like when using a clutch. Twist the throttle & it remains in neutral, then suddenly grabs. If you've given just a tad too much throttle, off ya go way faster than you intended. I'll probably learn to control this with practice, but for now I'm holding the rear brake while twisting the throttle to help control the surge.
Tom
Other ride--- Lifted '08 Suzuki SX4 AWD

"Quotes on the Internet cannot always be considered as factual" ------- Abraham Lincoln
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

It gets much much easier. I test rode a roughhouse yesterday for
a few miles on twisty roads, alleys, across rr tracks. It's a little high centered,
but not bad. I was holding a cup of coffee the whole time too. In a couple months, come back and read what you posted- I bet you'll feel a little different about it
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

TomCat wrote:One final observation:
the CVT is great except from a dead stop (ESPECIALLY when turning). There is no gradual engagement, like when using a clutch. Twist the throttle & it remains in neutral, then suddenly grabs. If you've given just a tad too much throttle, off ya go way faster than you intended. I'll probably learn to control this with practice, but for now I'm holding the rear brake while twisting the throttle to help control the surge.
Tom
Does your throttle grip seem like it has some play in it before it engages? If that's the case, it's pretty easy to adjust that. I might help with with controlling your takeoff.
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

It's supposed to have some play.
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

TomCat wrote:Hey, thanks all for the constructive & informative replies!
I have now learned that the RH50 has an unusually high center of gravity for a scooter, so it's not just me.
Also, that the center stand on a RH is probably the most difficult to use of any Genuine product. The extension on the end of the stand is all of 1" long, another inch or two would make it much easier to use (that's what she said,,,haha).
One final observation:
Tom
Yes the CVT, you will get used to that the more you ride. I still use the back brake to hold in place until I feel the CVT start to engage then release and throttle up, its not so much of a surge that way. Its gotten so that I don't even think about it anymore, more of a second-nature thing.

And the center stand, hmmpf. I really need to replace that. Still have an off day every now and again when it seems to be fighting me and just doesn't want to cooperate. Instead of it getting my ire I just use the side stand and go back later to center it.
Also because of the stand being "tight", I have managed to bend it slightly, so it kind of leans left, not enough for it to fall but enough to see it visually.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
CROSSBOLT

Post by CROSSBOLT »

Like it was already suggested, GO TAKE THE MSF COURSE. NOW! Call me the morning after......

Karl