600 miles including the best road I have ever ridden

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Howardr

600 miles including the best road I have ever ridden

Post by Howardr »

Just finished posting Part II of the ride to Roswell, NM and back. This part covers one of the most amazing roads I've ever ridden, NM County Rd 152.

A friend and I rode 1100 miles in 2 days. It was about 600 miles and 15 hours back to Tucson.

http://skyislandriders.com/?p=1490

BTW, I just posted a video with pics from the trip to Roswell that didn't make it into Part I. Video to Part II soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQBDTm-lR48

There may not be music to it yet. It takes a while for YouTube to add it. What is the secret to being able to use regular tunes from my CD's without violating copy write?

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Beautiful pictures! How hot was it there?
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

I rode this last week and cold was actually the issue. On the way to Roswell (Part I) we rode about 100 miles in the rain. In Ruidoso, at about 7000 feet, it was 61 degrees and raining.

On the way back, it was pretty cold in the morning. It was 58 degrees when we reached Capitan.

Fantastic weather otherwise. It was unseasonably cool in the desert. temps in the 80's and partly to mostly cloudy. Our biggest weather concern there, was wind.

Howard
gitsum79

Post by gitsum79 »

Hey Howard,
glad you enjoyed one of my favorite roads and one of the best motorcycle rides ever.

A few of those signs said 10 mph! My HD 200 and my son's TU250X pretty much had the entire road to ourselves that day and we blew through there at a very brisk pace.

I posted about it a couple of months ago here:

http://symforum.com/index.php?topic=1732.0

I think 380 out of Roswell was the same route the 2012 Cannonball took :wink:

I was just up at highway 152 again last weekend cruising two-up with the wife, We took highway 26 west out of Hatch and turned north on 27 up to Hillsboro. There's an awesome ghost town called Lake Valley on the way.

Next time you head out this way maybe we can coordinate a ride.
ThreeSheets
Dealer

Post by ThreeSheets »

sounds like an awesome trip! Would have loved to join you.
<b>FLAT SQUIRREL SCOOTERS</b>
421 N. Randall Rd, Lake in the Hills, IL
www.flatsquirrelscooters.com
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

gitsum79 wrote:Hey Howard,
glad you enjoyed one of my favorite roads and one of the best motorcycle rides ever.

A few of those signs said 10 mph! My HD 200 and my son's TU250X pretty much had the entire road to ourselves that day and we blew through there at a very brisk pace.

I posted about it a couple of months ago here:

http://symforum.com/index.php?topic=1732.0

I think 380 out of Roswell was the same route the 2012 Cannonball took :wink:

I was just up at highway 152 again last weekend cruising two-up with the wife, We took highway 26 west out of Hatch and turned north on 27 up to Hillsboro. There's an awesome ghost town called Lake Valley on the way.

Next time you head out this way maybe we can coordinate a ride.
Yup, the Cannonball did take 380, although that is not why I took it. they went north to Socorro, I believe, and caught US-60 west.

I would have said something to the group about the ride but it was kind of last minute. My grandmothers health took a bad turn and i wanted to go see her on this side of the funeral.

It would be great to meet up with the NM and west TX folks sometime.

Howard