50cc vs. 125cc Buddy

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Linda L

50cc vs. 125cc Buddy

Post by Linda L »

We've been researching scooters for the past month, and finally went to a dealership yesterday and took a test ride thru the parking lot on a buddy 125 (as a novice). I am considering a scooter as a second mode of transportation when we don't bring a car with us in the RV, and I think it would also be a lot of fun for shorter trips around our small town. The dealer I stopped at says they sell almost exclusively 125cc Buddys due to the speed limits and traffic there. But I live in a much smaller, much more rural town. The highest speed limits in my town are 35 - 40 mph and that is only on the two major roads. The rest of the town is 30 mph or less. No hills.

What are the practical differences between the two models, other than speed? Is the 50cc significantly louder? Is it worth spending the extra bucks to get the 125? Does the 50cc do most everything but at a slower speed? Licensing requirements here in Texas require the motorcycle safety course for both. And, is it worth it to buy a special edition model? The dealer has a 125 hot pink in stock, and gave me the brochure for the Lemonhead 50cc (they don't stock the 50cc, so I couldn't compare them in person).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Linda
Uncle Groucho

Post by Uncle Groucho »

A lot of folks here will weigh in on either side. A 50cc works for many people; I have one but I wish I had bumped up to a 125/150cc after about a week of ownership. You mention not having hills to deal with, but bear in mind that when you start adding riding gear on top of rider weight, the little extra ummph that a 125 will give you may make you glad you chose to aim higher. Read a few of the postings about some MBers having encounters with people who aren't kind to sharing a road with scooters and you may want the added benefit of being able to turn up the speed when you want.

On the other hand, you'll often see 150cc scooters with less than 10 miles on it for sale on CL where someone bought one and decided a week later that it went too fast for them. If you didn't leap off the one you test-scooted, you can probably handle it.

Aside from speed, the two models are pretty much identical as far as handling and dimensions, so if you were comfortable on the 125, you'll be just fine on the 50. I can't really detect a noise difference.

The 50 is great when you want something to just gas and go; not as much upkeep to worry about as far as gear oil or motor oil like the 125, but you can either do a lot of that by yourself or trust maintenance to your dealer.

The Special Editions can either be cool (Psycho, BlackJack) or on the *ahem* weak side (I'm looking at you, Lemonhead!) but it's all a matter of personal preference. Once you get your scooter, you'll most likely enjoy it so much that it won't be a pristine 9.5/10 sale on eBay if you decide to sell it later on.

Have fun and go with what appeals to you the most. Learn as much as you can before you narrow down your choices and see if the dealer will make you an offer you can't refuse on either model and then pull the trigger. Just my $0.02...

Good luck!
"Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?"

david12df

50cc vs. 125cc Buddy

Post by david12df »

how about symba 150 mpg
TVB

Re: 50cc vs. 125cc Buddy

Post by TVB »

There are a few differences between the 50 and 125 besides the size of the engine (brakes, tires), but they're minor. In terms of handling, they're essentially the same scooter.

The 50 is a little louder than the 125, because it's a two-stroke engine and those are naturally louder than four-strokes. It's the one thing I dislike about my 50. It isn't so much that the noise bothers me (it's muffled pretty well in a 3/4 or full-face helmet), but I don't like being noisy. On the other hand, some argue that being louder can be a safety feature.

For the kind of riding you describe, I don't see any problem at all with getting a 50. If you derestrict it (a quick procedure that can be done at the shop) it'll get up to 40mph on level ground, and it'll also get to that speed pretty quickly. Even when I weighed nearly 230lbs (plus gear) I never had trouble going over 35 unless it was up-hill.

If you have to get a motorcycle license regardless of which engine you get, then that's certainly one less reason to buy the 50. In that case it sounds like it's really just a matter of price vs. how you're going to use it. A lot of people will tell you that they quickly "outgrew" a 50. I haven't. I even take my Buddy 50 on thousand-mile road trips around the state every summer, and I've been very happy with it... speed limitation and all. That's because I don't want to go 55 on it; I prefer going slower. Staying off fast roads and finding the scenic route from one place to another is all part of "life in the slow lane" for me. Only you can decide if that's for you or not.

As for the extra cost of the Internationals or the Lemonhead... that's pretty much an aesthetic question. If you really like the looks of one of them, it is. Otherwise, probably not.
Dage'sVew

Post by Dage'sVew »

Re: choosing a Buddy....... I bought mine for the same reasons you give Linda, but I have discovered that having those extra cc's give me so much more freedom to explore when we take our RV to exotic locales ! :D Correct me if I'm wrong folks, but it seems to me that there have been a larger number of people who have said they should have gone bigger compared to the number who said they should have bought smaller.
TVB

Post by TVB »

Dage'sVew wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong folks, but it seems to me that there have been a larger number of people who have said they should have gone bigger compared to the number who said they should have bought smaller.
But those numbers don't make the people who do prefer their "smaller" scooters any less right. :)
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

My opinion is that the 125 makes a good alround scooter for a wide range of conditions. It does not really cost much more than the 50 at the beginning and you can get that difference and more back in resale. The weight and height of the two scooters is pretty much the same so riding the 125 is no more demanding in any way than riding the 50. The 125 goes no faster than you ask it to. The difference is that it has more oomph on tap if and when you need it. That is an important difference and worth the money IMO.
mhardgrove

Post by mhardgrove »

Some states don't require you to carry insurance on a 50, some do, be aware of that before you make you purchase and check to make sure your legal. I have a 125 and love it, but if you don't have to be anywhere in a hurry a 50 should do you fine.
Yorkiemom

50 or not to 50?

Post by Yorkiemom »

Well, my thoughts are these...
I purchased a Buddy 50 1750 miles/1 year 1 month ago...and I LOVE IT!

I live in a smaller city, though it is more metropolitan than you describe...and it is perfect. I can get upwards of around 43mph without hills or extremely high winds. If that is all you seek, then that is all you may need. Now, in Missouri, you don't need to license or register the 50, you don't have to have a motorcycle endorsement (though I already do as I also own a touring motorcycle that I ride when I need to go farther, faster), and you don't even have to wear a helmet, though again, I always do. All of that makes a better argument for the 50 in Missouri.

I have never really felt the need to have more power, more speed, given how and where I ride the scoot. And trust me, I know what it's like to hit the highway at 75mph on the motorcycle. I bought the scoot to commute to school (teacher), to the gym, basically to do almost all of my in town driving...which I do with no problem. I think, with such a short wheel base and not much weight, I wouldn't ever WANT to go over 50mph or so atop the scoot...though I know many do and feel fine with it.

I agree with the others though...it depends on how you really plan to ride it and if you think you might want to do more on it. One thing to consider, and perhaps already mentioned...the 50 doesn't require oil changes, an added expense...as you simply add oil and add gas and the scoot does the mixing itself. The 50, since it is a 2-stroke, has GREAT pick-up and acceleration. And, as for the added cost of a 'custom,' that is personal choice and nothing more. If one of those grabs your eye to the tune of a couple hundred bucks, go for it...if not, pick a solid and get ready to smile 'til your face hurts.

Whichever way you go, keep us all posted and post a pic after you've purchased. We'd love to see what you chose.
Christophers

Re: 50cc vs. 125cc Buddy

Post by Christophers »

Linda L wrote:What are the practical differences between the two models, other than speed? Is the 50cc significantly louder? Is it worth spending the extra bucks to get the 125? Does the 50cc do most everything but at a slower speed?
We started with a Buddy 50 and very quickly moved on to a pair of 125s after purchasing our first 125. The 50 only gets ridden now to keep the engine lubricated and battery charged (We can't sell it for sentimental reasons). The 125s are just that much more enjoyable to ride around town. They're definitely preferable as daily commuter bikes.

The Buddy 50 might have advantages if you plan on bringing it with you on an RV. It is significantly lighter which makes it that much easier to move around.
Attachments
IMG_0525.JPG
IMG_0525.JPG (134.81 KiB) Viewed 1804 times
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Dooglas wrote:My opinion is that the 125 makes a good alround scooter for a wide range of conditions. It does not really cost much more than the 50 at the beginning and you can get that difference and more back in resale. The weight and height of the two scooters is pretty much the same so riding the 125 is no more demanding in any way than riding the 50. The 125 goes no faster than you ask it to. The difference is that it has more oomph on tap if and when you need it. That is an important difference and worth the money IMO.
+1 to this.

The buddy 50 is very fast for a 50, and can be made faster!

What I like about 125 or 150 is that you get better mpg ( because you're not killing the thing) and the tires are a bit wider. the 125 is just a bit faster off the line too.

However, both are GREAT machines, so play with them. Me, I go a lot of places a 50 didn't cut it, so I upgraded immediately.
persephonelily

Post by persephonelily »

I have a 50 and the husband has a 125. He has a longer commute, so it made sense. Before I had mine derestricted and a few other little things done, I had trouble keeping up with him on hills, but now, we are pretty evenly matched unless he decides to go WOT for a long stretch of uphill riding. I LOVE my 50. He LOVES his 125. I have ridden his 125 and it is definitely more powerful (at least, it feels more powerful). But I think if/when I upgrade, I'm going to skip over 125 and go right for a 150 or even a 170, just because the 125 is not THAT much different than a derestricted 50.

But that's just my 2 cents. I am also a short (5'0") wide(ish) lady, and I like a smaller scoot. With my stubby little legs, I notice a difference in how well I can touch when riding his over mine. It's a tiny difference in height, but I feel it. I'm sure you'll love whichever you choose.
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

You can always ride the 125cc slower.
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"
Pflower001

Post by Pflower001 »

I have a 50 and i love her. It is an excellent intro to the scooter world in my opinion. A friend has an lx150 she has let me ride and it is enormous. Waaaay too much scooter and engine for me. Sure in a year i may want to upgrade, but i am ridiculously happy now. I have ridden her from LA to newport beach multiple times and i never feel like i dont have enough power. The 50 is a great scoot for a great price.
SYMbionic Duo

Post by SYMbionic Duo »

50cc is great if you live in a dense urban area.
also as just a runabout in a small town, they are fine.

You mentioned taking one with the RV, i'd suggest the 125 then. sometimes RV camps are located in places, where you have to take the highway to get anywhere useful, and as such, you might be stuck, if you had the 50.

Also you mention 'We', if you are thinking of riding 2up, go for the 125.

-duo
Nothing is Foolproof to a sufficiently talented Fool.
Linda L

Post by Linda L »

Thanks for all the replies. You've given me lots of things to consider that I wouldn't have thought of on my own. For now, I'm keeping an eye on the Craigslists in TX and on the for sale board here, as I would consider either model used if the price was right.

Linda
Oparu

Post by Oparu »

Before I bought my Buddy 125, I talked to a friend who owned a 150 CC vespa. She advised me to go for the 125 because it would enable me to keep up with traffic better. I'm glad I have the 125 because I was able to go on 50 mph roads with no problem. Having said that, if you don't need to go on roads with speed limits higher than 30 mph, maybe you don't need the 125. I don't do my own oil changes so I have to pay about $60 every 4 months for that.
phatch

Post by phatch »

My original plan was a 50 cc, but the roads here are just fast enough that I would be running the engine full-blast everywhere I went, and I didn't want to deal with replacing a motor. Also, I watched my friend on her 50 cc yamaha, and cars were TAILING her on a 45 mph road. She had to replace her motor, too (coincidence?).

Oparu wrote:...I don't do my own oil changes so I have to pay about $60 every 4 months for that.
You've gotta try it! Follow the steps - it's just messy legos :)
viewtopic.php?t=22170&highlight=picturial
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

Riding is riding
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Personally I agree with the "get a 125/150/170 because you can always ride slower" crowd. But that's just my personal thinking on it and I think there are lots of great reasons to get a 50. I always like TVB's reminders that sometimes being forced to go slower can make you a lot happier in the end.

But scanning through this thread I have to disagree with this:
persephonelily wrote:I'm going to skip over 125 and go right for a 150 or even a 170, just because the 125 is not THAT much different than a derestricted 50.

There's a good, what, 30 mph difference in top speed between even an unrestricted 50 and a 125. I'd consider that a pretty significant difference. There is very little difference between a 125 and a 150, however. I've not read any solid head-to-head comparisons of the acceleration or top speed of the 170i vs the others, though.

It seems to me that, respecting everyone's opinion on why they chose the motor size they did, there is a common theme and that is to really be sure a 50 will be enough if you get one. Because I can always choose the slower 40mph and under roads and keep my riding experiences slower but if I had a 50 and needed the power of a 125, I'd be out of luck. So a little extra consideration may be in order if you are thinking of the 50. I've seen some recommend taking a drive over your proposed riding routes and make sure you never go over 40 to see how it would work out. That sounds like a solid way to help make your decision and from what you describe in the original post, it might work out really well for you!
ThreeSheets
Dealer

Post by ThreeSheets »

I like the idea of a buddy 125 over a buddy 50 for a couple of reasons. I feel that for the price difference you get a whole lot more capability as far as the speed and roads allowed to travel on. Also it is a 4 stroke vs 2 , where I feel the 4 will last longer in the long run. If you ride two people what so ever the 125 will have that little extra umph to get the two riders moving. You dont have to buy injector oil and gas! (not that it guzzles it but another expense) If you can afford the buddy 125 I feel you will be much more happy with it, and have room to grow if this is your first scooter. Alot of people are our area would grow tired of the 50 very quickly and want to move up into a 125/170i.
<b>FLAT SQUIRREL SCOOTERS</b>
421 N. Randall Rd, Lake in the Hills, IL
www.flatsquirrelscooters.com
zuki

Post by zuki »

I own a buddy 50(derestricted ) and 125 and let me tell u there is a big difference in them. The 125 has a ton more power on the hills and is about 20mph faster on flat ground and will get up to speed faster .My commute to work has some slight hills nothing big but enough that my 50 will go down to 30mph WOT, where my 125 will hold the 40- 45mph I need to go with traffic and will do more if needed.The 125 has a better suspension little bigger tire just feels a little better. I have to ride the 50 WOT most of the time that I ride to work and I get about 72 mpg, were the 125 I ride at the same speed with half throttle and I am getting 91 mpg. As far as the oil thing I spend about $10 in oil for the 50 mix every 1000 miles to where the 125 I spend $10 for a oil filter and $7 in oil ever 1500-2000 miles.The rear end takes the same oil and probably needs changed at the same time so there really no change there. The 50 is fun just to putt around if no hurry and you don't have to ride in traffic much.The only real reason I went with the 50 first was here in Missouri a 50cc and under you don't have to have a license,insurance,or a plate to ride it and I figured it would do just fine but it just wasn't quite what I wanted I decided it would be better to spend just a little more and be happier.
cdwise

Post by cdwise »

Pflower001 wrote:I have a 50 and i love her. It is an excellent intro to the scooter world in my opinion. A friend has an lx150 she has let me ride and it is enormous. Waaaay too much scooter and engine for me. Sure in a year i may want to upgrade, but i am ridiculously happy now. I have ridden her from LA to newport beach multiple times and i never feel like i dont have enough power. The 50 is a great scoot for a great price.
There is a bigger difference between the Buddy 125 and the Vespa LX 150 than there is between a Buddy 50 and a Buddy 125 in size. The LX has 1.5" higher seat to start with while both Buddys have the same seat height and basic body/frame. We owned an ET 4 which is basically the same as the LX just with the carb instead of fuel injected engine. Body size and weight are basically the same.

FWIW, we have a Buddy 125cc and in terms of accelerationa nd top speed it is very close to the LX. The Vespa LX and its predecessor the ET 4 aren't known as "fast" scooters while the Buddy 125cc is.

Where we live a 50cc simply isn't a good fit. I debated about what to buy before we bought the Buddy and reode a derestricted Vespa ET 2 50cc which was quit quick but its top speed wasn't sufficient for the 45-55 mph roads around us.

My decision was to go for the 125 because it is better to have extra throttle and not need it than need it and not have it. If the OP was only gong to be riding it in his quiet neighborhood a 50cx is likely fine but since the scoot will be a car replacement while traveling with the RV it is better to have the capabilit8y of going on faster roads if necessary while traveling. Plus laws on 50cc vary much more by state than on a 125cc. In any case I'd make sure it was plated and insured even if the home state doesn't require it.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

i think the fun factor is also important. i figure it takes a certain kind of personality to be happy and content with a 50cc. personally i could not be happy with an ordinary, stock 50cc. with 40mph being top speed and perhaps a cruising speed of 35mph with little to spare....that just doesn't sound like a lot of fun day after day after day. not that riding needs to be fun. but i do like it to be somewhat dynamic

where i ride i would also not like being passed a lot and having to ride in the "slow lane." i am most happy at 45mph to 55mph and like to have needed acceleration in traffic and to get out front at traffic lights. and stay there

i get the feeling 50cc riders are pretty mellow folks :)

unless its a fire breathing 'lil tuner scoot. but thats a whole other ballgame
Riding is riding
TVB

Post by TVB »

JHScoot wrote:i get the feeling 50cc riders are pretty mellow folks :)
I'm actually a seething bundle of frustration and rage. But buzzing along slowly enough to enjoy the scenery helps calm me down. 8)
persephonelily

Post by persephonelily »

I guess I should have been more specific; there IS a difference between the derestricted 50cc (as others have explained). I just don't feel it's as significant as some others. Also, I've had a few other upgrades done, and that makes a big difference, too. I can keep up with the husband on his 125 just fine so long as he isn't going WOT, I take the hills appropriately for my scoot, etc. Yes, there is a difference in power, and I'm sure on a straight with no wind, he'd leave me in the dust. But it's not about going as fast as you can all the time (which I have to try to remember myself on occasion).

I'm not at all mellow, either. I'm a seething bundle of rage as well as ^^, and riding my little 50cc smooths that out (right up until some cager pulls a stupid move and tries to murder me).
Pflower001

Post by Pflower001 »

Hmmmmm, i have never been called "mellow" by anyone who knows me and my "mellow" lil 50 does an indicated 50 (really more like 45) on a flat road with throttle to spare. I rode from hollywpod to newport beach yesterday, watching the speedometer to see. Hills i drop down to a decent indicated 35 to 40, but no big deal. My "mellow" self enjoys all the smiles and waves i get from people passing me at speeds not much greater than i am doing. :)
Rusty Shackleford

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

For the little bit of extra money, the extra CC's are worth it, IMO. If you're doing anything around the top speed of a 50, it'd be better to have the breathing room the 125 will offer. Full throttle to keep pace is no fun for anyone.
Last edited by Rusty Shackleford on Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C'mon, sko sko sko!
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Rusty Shackleford wrote:For the little bit of extra money, the extra CC's are worth it, IMO. If you're doing anything around the top speed of a 50, it'd be better to have the breathing room the 125 will offer. Full throttle to keep pace is no fun for anyone.
I almost considered a 50 for costs alone, since we also had to pay for a move AND to replace some audio gear I had damaged all at the same time. The 50 can get the job done, but as has been stated countless times, a 125cc just works less to get to the same point, and has a little breathing room beyond the top speed. In fact, I was debating between a "clearance" Buddy at $2800 and a few 50's that were around the 1800-2200 range (where the 50cc buddy sits).

My conclusion? A 125cc Kymco Agility at $2135. About the same price as a Buddy 50, but that same upper-end performance that a 125 gives you. For me I wanted that extra power in acceleration and the comfort knowing that I'm not running an engine WOT to get to a city cruising speed. It's not that a 50cc is bad (In fact I have a soft spot for the the Yamaha C3), but a 125 is, when speaking of economics, a longer term investment that will bring you a greater return
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
lucasan

Post by lucasan »

Pflower001 wrote:I have a 50 and i love her. It is an excellent intro to the scooter world in my opinion. A friend has an lx150 she has let me ride and it is enormous. Waaaay too much scooter and engine for me. Sure in a year i may want to upgrade, but i am ridiculously happy now. I have ridden her from LA to newport beach multiple times and i never feel like i dont have enough power. The 50 is a great scoot for a great price.
Wow that's quite a ride pflower. What route do you take? While breaking in our Kymco Like 200i LX I have asked my girlfriend to avoid PCH as much as possible so that she doesn't have to ride too fast. I can't think of any other way to get down to Newport Beach other than a a long stretch on PCH. Is the 50 fast enough for that road?

As far as the difference between a 50 and 125 I would imagine that like a lot of members who have posted here have said literally and in so many words, you can always ride the 125 slower. We opted for a bigger dispersion engine after doing a lot of research because there was a need for being on roads with a speed limit of 50-55mph. If you want to have that option, I would say go for the bigger bike. Just my 2 cents as a novice scooter owner.
TomCat

Post by TomCat »

So many variables can affect a decision like this,,,,,,,,,,,you can get all the advice (good advice at that) you want but, in the end, do what feels right for your particular situation.
The factors that made me decide on a 50cc are:
1) My first scooter, not sure if I would enjoy riding one & didn't want to spend a lot of $ to find out
2) In Michigan, no motorcycle endorsement necessary (saving me $250 in course cost), no insurance required (saving me $200 a year, quoted by Allstate) and a 3 year sticker is $15 (as opposed to, what, $20 a yr for a plate?).
3) Where I live, I can get anywhere I want to on roads with a max 45mph speed limit. The RH will do this (50mph indicated) and it's not close to being totally broken in yet.
4) I really like the look of the RH, including the larger tires.
To an extent, all of us that ride scooters are "mellow". There aren't many scooter gangs out there terrorizing the citizens. :twisted:
Other ride--- Lifted '08 Suzuki SX4 AWD

"Quotes on the Internet cannot always be considered as factual" ------- Abraham Lincoln
Capt_Don

Post by Capt_Don »

TVB wrote:
Dage'sVew wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong folks, but it seems to me that there have been a larger number of people who have said they should have gone bigger compared to the number who said they should have bought smaller.
But those numbers don't make the people who do prefer their "smaller" scooters any less right. :)
I agree so much... I was very happy with the performance of my 50cc when it met my needs, but years later when my work situation changed, and I needed to get to places in differently scheduled times, the 170cc powerhouse was needed to meet those new needs. So it is relative.
Mutt the Hoople

Post by Mutt the Hoople »

I have a Buddy 50 (derestricted) and a Vespa GTV 250. I live in Saint Louis city and got the 50 for riding around town, running errands, plus it's so fun. And if you live in the city you have the extra bonus I'd not having to put money in parking meters... You can park on the sidewalk. And hypothetically, you have plenty of speed because most roads are no faster than 35 and a lot are 25-30mph. BUT.... Don't know what dirivers are like where you are but too many people drive 50mph on 30-35 mph roads and they'll run right over you. Plus I decided that I wanted to be be able to take the highway.

I find myself riding the Vespa more now. Still love the buddy, but ... I have mixed feelings now about a 50. But there's no right or wrong. A lot has to do with where you are riding and the kinds of drivers you have to contend with.
96 Decibel Freaks