wish me luck

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jonlink

wish me luck

Post by jonlink »

Just ordered new K61 tires and NYC forks (Boston's roads are killing me). Local guys haven't been responsive, so I'm going to try doing it all myself. We'll see how it goes.

Has the process of replacing the forks been documented here? I took a quick look and found nothing. If not, I'll try to do it (though it may be a disaster).

Any tips on tools I'll need. I don't have much here with me, so think of starting from next to nothing (not even a socket wrench... don't know where I lost that in the last move).
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

I have never installed them but aren't the NYC forks going to stiffen the ride? This is usually the case with performance suspension parts, you get a great increase with handling but a decrease in comfort.

If you're looking to dodge the rough spots they are probably the way to go. If you're trying to smooth out the ride there may be better alternatives. I'm sure others know more about them than I do
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
jonlink

Post by jonlink »

Good god, I hope you're wrong. :shock:
There is no dodging the crap that is wrong with Boston's roads.

EDIT: So, I definitely need a torque wrench. Anyone have experience with this one?
spr0k3t

Post by spr0k3t »

The performance shocks will improve the ride but it does stiffen the front suspension. I believe the difference will be an improvement overall. as for the torq wrenches... the clickers are the best way to go as you can dial in the weight you need.
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

jonlink wrote:Good god, I hope you're wrong. :shock:
There is no dodging the crap that is wrong with Boston's roads.

EDIT: So, I definitely need a torque wrench. Anyone have experience with this one?
I've used one......so far, just as accurate as my Snap-On.
Why both?.....I have the good stuff at work....the inexpensive hobby tools at home. The HF stuff falls under hobby catagory.

However, if the torque specs being called for are at the low side, like less than 30 foot pounds, go for a inch pound wrench.....like a 3/8 inch drive version.
These are far more accurate for low torque situations and I don't think you'll be doing anything that requires more than that if memory serves.

Rob
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

I own one of the 1/2" Harbor Freight Torque Wrenches. I haven't used it much but it is a good solid feeling tool. Especially for the money (HF prices always amaze me). Check the reviews for the one you want. When buying mine the 1/2" was by one manufacturer and had great reviews whereas the 3/8" was from another manufacturer and was generally panned in the reviews. But for those of us on a budget, I think it's a great buy.

Also, if you need a low torque setting check that it goes as low as you need.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Good luck! I'd be interested to hear the review of the suspension, as it is one of the things I'd consider doing to mine later on.
MGM

Post by MGM »

Installation instructions in this link. viewtopic.php?t=7576&highlight=ncy
jonlink

Post by jonlink »

Thanks for the feedback folks.
From what I've read since the first response it seems like the new forks should help smooth out the ride. I'll report back on how they handle in Boston with all the crazy roads we have here.
MGM wrote:Installation instructions in this link. viewtopic.php?t=7576&highlight=ncy
Not sure why my search didn't turn that up. Thanks! It is exactly what I was hoping for. When I do it I'll make sure to photo document it so that it can be built out into an even better tutorial.
ThreeSheets
Dealer

Post by ThreeSheets »

best of luck!
<b>FLAT SQUIRREL SCOOTERS</b>
421 N. Randall Rd, Lake in the Hills, IL
www.flatsquirrelscooters.com
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

I've ridden a Blackjack with the upgraded suspension and highly recommend it. If I had the money, I'd do it.

I have the HF 3/8" torque wrench and it's OK. Just don't use it for oil or gear oil drain bolts - put those on by feel.
I bought a pack of socket adapters for times when I need to use larger sockets on the 3/8" torque wrench (like removing the rear wheel or torquing the clutch or variator nuts).
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Tocsik wrote:I've ridden a Blackjack with the upgraded suspension and highly recommend it. If I had the money, I'd do it.

I have the HF 3/8" torque wrench and it's OK. Just don't use it for oil or gear oil drain bolts - put those on by feel.
I bought a pack of socket adapters for times when I need to use larger sockets on the 3/8" torque wrench (like removing the rear wheel or torquing the clutch or variator nuts).
It's generally not a good idea to use a torque wrench for breaking bolts free. Even though it's called a wrench it is actually a measuring tool. Get a nice breaker bar for busting loose those tough nuts!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
jonlink

Post by jonlink »

Everything I need except for the extension and the sockets is on order. I'm insanely broke for the rest of August now, but hopefully it'll be worth it. We'll see how it turns out. I did get a breaker bar as well. Thanks for the tip, BuddyRaton.

I ended up order a torque wrench through amazon (a neiko). The torque wrench on harbor freight that was capable of 15ft/lbs got knocked fairly hard.

Now I just have to play the waiting game.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

good luck, dude. i do not envy you. i have a rear tire change on my Agility coming tomorrow, myself. not doing it myself, though. found a shop to do it for $45. good enough as i got the tire itself on deep closeout for $30. its a Vee Rubber :)

i ride a BJ a few times a week but have never rode a stock Bud. however i can say over some very rough stuff i practice riding on....around a 3/4 mile stretch of semi private road....it is very stable and surefooted. i can feel the little scoot bounding and getting tossed about a bit, but it is never scary or dangerous. on the contrary as a matter of fact. confidence inspiring, i would say

but smooth? is that even possible on a scooter over rough stuff? just how rough are you talking? i can't imagine any worse then the stuff i practice on. that road looks like it was bombed out

good luck, once more....
Riding is riding
GOwithIT

Post by GOwithIT »

Hi there,

I bought my 170i two months ago and was really worried at first because I was having pretty bad tailbone soreness from riding so I upgraded the rear shock to a YSS adjustable shock and alls good now.

Good Luck! GOwithIT
jonlink

Post by jonlink »

Just an update. The front forks and K61's have greatly improve scoot's handling. The little guy can corner like a champ now. Bumps still suck something awful, though. I'll have to see about taking some photos some time to show folks what I'm dealing with.

If you can imagine a road that is literally wavy, with chunks missing, spots that have had five or more bad patch-up jobs, and chunks the width of the entire road cut out (and poorly patched), then you're beginning to picture what I deal with ever 500 meters or so of my daily commute. I've heard folks talking about dodging the bad spots, I don't think those folks have ever seen Boston roads. Here and there you'll find things that are avoidable, but there are lots of spots where one has to just deal with it.

Next time I need to change my rear tire I'll probably see about throwing on a better rear shock. Until then I'll enjoy my new handling. :D