Genuine Disinformation

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

JHScoot

Genuine Disinformation

Post by JHScoot »

'wha? :wha:

Well, good thing we have vids like this to warn potential scooterisits the evil Genuine Scooters brought upon the scooting world.

Hey, thanks dude.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pKPVyfRcADo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Last edited by JHScoot on Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Riding is riding
double-o-soul

Post by double-o-soul »

if you have to catch your breath from walking around a scooter, maybe your ass needs to stay away from bikes and start walking more.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Can't wait for the follow up video where he talks about how his 300+ lbs. killed his Reflex and what a POS it is.

This is one of the reason's why I'm losing weight, (beside's the health benefits).

I just don't think its fair to compare a 250cc water cooled engine against a smaller displacement air cooled one. ALL machines have their weak spots, and when his fat ass taxes his Reflex too the point of breaking it will probably be "Don't buy Japanese, their a POS".
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
Tristik

Post by Tristik »

~~
A. Taiwan has got to be a great innovator when it comes to scooters.
B. If he didn't know the Blur's tach had major issues, he didn't do enough research before he bought his bike.
C. The Reflex is a solid bike. He won't go wrong there, but I'm 5 foot 6 inches, 170 pounds and the Blur has a tight riding position even for me. I'll wager he was NOT comfortable riding it. The Blur is not a good bike for larger people unless they modify the seat.
~~
D. I posted on his video hehe
Last edited by Tristik on Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

^ I don't think he'd be comfortable on anything smaller than a 1200 Touring bike.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
Tristik

Post by Tristik »

~~
Yeah, you can tell just from his shadow that guy has to be at the very least 300 pounds or more. The Blur isn't gonna be good for someone that big. But a Ninja 250R isn't gonna be either.
~~
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

In the vid he states he is well over 300, and the cigars for fingers was also a dead giveaway.
Tristik

Post by Tristik »

~~
At that weight, I think he should be looking at a Majesty or Burgman.
~~
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

yeah i was researching the Blur and came across another vid of his where he is selling the Blur. his headline read (in caps) "VERY DISAPPOINTED WITH THIS BIKE'S PERFORMANCE."

or something to that effect. but in that vid he doesn't trash the scoot or Genuine as in this vid. he says its a "good scooter" and "maybe my weighing 350lbs has something to do with it?"

you think?

i am 250 and used to be much larger and i know larger people such as myself ride scooters. but 350lbs is two people on a 220i. i feel like i can say that being i was once two people. hell i still am if i'm the olsen twins :lol:

:hit:
Riding is riding
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Tristik wrote:~~
At that weight, I think he should be looking at a Majesty or Burgman.
~~
HD FatBoy, or is that over stating the obvious.
TVB

Post by TVB »

agrogod wrote:...when his fat ass taxes his Reflex too the point of breaking it will probably be "Don't buy Japanese, their a POS".
So your response to him unfairly trash-talking Genuine is to unfairly trash-talk Honda? The Reflex is designed to carry over 350lbs so his "fat ass" isn't going to break it. And the guy's an ignorant boor because he's an ignorant boor, not because he weighs too much for you.
Alexbv200
Dealer

Post by Alexbv200 »

I guess he does not know that the Honda Elite is built.... in China..
vwgrl1999

Post by vwgrl1999 »

TVB wrote:
agrogod wrote:...when his fat ass taxes his Reflex too the point of breaking it will probably be "Don't buy Japanese, their a POS".
So your response to him unfairly trash-talking Genuine is to unfairly trash-talk Honda? The Reflex is designed to carry over 350lbs so his "fat ass" isn't going to break it. And the guy's an ignorant boor because he's an ignorant boor, not because he weighs too much for you.
Thank you. The weight-ism needs to stop.
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

What a creep! The scooter wasn't a good fit for him, and so now he's THE authority on Genuine. :roll:

If he wanted a scooter that could do 70 or so, he should have bought a 250 or greater to begin with.

I'm not sure he did HIMSELF much of a favor, airing that video. He doesn't sound like the brightest bulb. Twice he mentions what he paid for his scooter, and kept walking around and around so much that I started to get motion sick. :bleh:
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

TVB wrote:So your response to him unfairly trash-talking Genuine is to unfairly trash-talk Honda? The Reflex is designed to carry over 350lbs so his "fat ass" isn't going to break it. And the guy's an ignorant boor because he's an ignorant boor, not because he weighs too much for you.
I read that as "when he breaks a reflex because he weighs too much, he'll blame Honda," not as the OP dissing Honda, maybe I'm wrong.

As far as weight, as a person of size (ha), I am somewhat uncomfortable with the weight-bashing here, too, but on the other hand, it really does need to be said and understood that a lot of scooters weight limit is less than a slightly overweight American human being and even though that weight limit is certainly conservative (I'm pretty hefty and I've got no problem with my Blur) it IS possible to 'splode scooters because you weigh too much or are carrying a passenger or cargo that you probably shouldn't be. I blew up a Vespa VBB giving a heavyish friend a ride home once, and I wonder if a lot of scooter problems aren't related to weight. Vintage and modern, it's important to remember that many of these bikes are designed for '50s italian teenagers or Asians who are (to make a wide but fairly accurate generalization) genetically smaller and culturally less likely to be overweight than the average American.

I really welcome a frank discussion of this topic, but, yes, even though this guy seems pretty douchey, let's chalk it up to something other than his weight.

So in conclusion, yes losing 10lbs is probably the best performance advantage you can get for your scooter, and it doesn't void the warranty. If you can't lose weight, just take off the bodywork and drill some holes in the frame.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

TVB wrote:
I knew I should have gone much further, so now I must make this statement.

I was in no way trashing Honda, I think they make some fine machines. I was only using the the unfair statements used by vid maker to emphasize my point.

And as for the weight issue, I was 12lbs shy of 300 at one time, so yes his 'fat ass' will probably break something else due to that. I know that I broke many things due to being over weight. I am not proud of that, so if you can't correct your own problems don't blame some thing else as being a POS.
ed85379

Post by ed85379 »

As a self-professed fat-ist myself, who usually laughs at fat jokes, I have to say the language used in this thread so far was pretty over-the-top and offensive.

For example, talking about him being out of breath just walking around it was an extreme exaggeration, and then someone mentioning his "sausage-like" fingers was just a complete lie. I saw his fingers once in the video, and they looked like ordinary fingers to me. And before you judge his girth based on the poundage, we have absolutely no idea how tall he happens to be.

So yeah, you can say that his dislike for Genuine may have had to do with his admitted weight, but you can say it without being completely offensive to people on this list who may also be obese.

For the record, I am a 5'4" tall, 145 pound guy. I almost didn't say anything, but I grew more and more annoyed as I read, and I thought that if *I* am offended, I can only imagine how more sensitive folks might feel.

Let's all be friendly, folks! There is a scooter for everyone!
scootavaran

Post by scootavaran »

That wasn't a very good review on the Reflex. Seemed more focus on bashing the Blur than anything.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

The weight issue aside, this video is an effective cure for insomnia!
Capt_Don

Post by Capt_Don »

Well, I am fat, and it does not bother me. 5'9" and 220lbs and every pound I ditch I have a better ride.
Pflower001

Post by Pflower001 »

Surprised people on here stooped to such juvenile & offensive behavior in response to a vid they disagreed with. Very disappointing.
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

Point well taken. I'm a guilty party myself. I guess it just shows we are all human and need to strive to overcome stooping... :?

...I did start to feel motion sick watching his video though...that was not an exaggeration. :roll:
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

i think its best to ignore comments you don't like on internet forums. especially comments like some in this thead. a moderator will chime in and chastise if necessary, but otherwise its just user a,b, and c making a bigger point of said posts then need be. not because a person can't have an opinion on such things, but because one opinion is just the same as the next. and its x amount of users posting the same objection to just a few posts by a couple of fellow members. so posts which may be meaningless get the attention they don't deserve from the people who dislike 'em most. and draw my attention to the posts over and over again. which sucks

anyway this rider lives in a bit of a glass house. if he throws some stones in any direction some folks might toss 'em back

i only made this thread because of his comments about Genuine Scooters. which i think border on slanderous. so far as that goes on the internet. which is not very

the fact he is 350lbs never crossed my mind except that being the main reason his scoot did not scoot as expected. he knew this before he trashed Genuine and PGO.

i admire this rider for being a big man on a scoot. i am a big man on a scoot. we are tough skinned, actually. i bet if this guy posted here he wouldn't be fazed one bit. and i bet if he didn't talk like an idiot about scooters no one would take him to task about his weight or "cigar fingers"

but he has left himself wide open for ridicule based on the things he says. so he might get a little.

not right? maybe. not pc? maybe not. but best left to the staff of the forums

now stop ruining this fine thread with admonishments and apologies and go forward into the MB community and prosper!! :P :P
Riding is riding
Tristik

Post by Tristik »

~~
I mentioned his weight, but only as it pertains to the scoot. Like I said I'm 5'6" and around 170 pounds and I can't see anyone much bigger than me riding the scoot and it still retaining the performance it's praised and sold for. Not to mention comfort levels.

Even at my height I'm already planning on having the seat modified. The arc between rider and pillion (sp?) rider kinda rolls your butt forward into a cramped position that doesn't work well, even for me, for much longer than 30-45 minutes. I've put 110 miles on it since I got it on tuesday morning and that's my only real complaint about it so far.
~~
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

JHScoot wrote: i only made this thread because of his comments about Genuine Scooters. which i think border on slanderous.
+1
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

So about the seat, how are you planning on modifying it? Will you raise the front to meet the back or lower the whole thing? Or do you have some customized ideas that have not been mentioned in other threads?
Tristik

Post by Tristik »

agrogod wrote:So about the seat, how are you planning on modifying it? Will you raise the front to meet the back or lower the whole thing? Or do you have some customized ideas that have not been mentioned in other threads?
~~
I have no idea what I can do with it as I'm not sure how intrusive the under-structure of the seat is under the padding. All I know is I would like to gain a few inches to scoot back. However I can accomplish that is what I'm going to look into.

I don't care about maintaining a 2nd seating position. I'll never ride it 2-up. I can't afford to raise the seat, however, so if there's no room to cut a few inches back into that little arc, I may just leave it. I honestly never plan on riding it for more than 30-60 minutes so it's not a make-it-or-break-it kind of thing; it would just be nice.
~~
Bjc617

Post by Bjc617 »

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1sONfxPCTU0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Bjc617 wrote:<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1sONfxPCTU0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Sadly, the answer is "No, we can't."
CROSSBOLT

Post by CROSSBOLT »

We have one each Buddy 150 and Kymco Yager 200i (really a 175). Aside from the "Stall of Fame" on the Buddy we have been really pleased with it. Kymco started in 1963 making engine units for HONDA since they could not keep up with the demand. They are currently making a 400 cc unit for BMW. So there. Ignorant can be fixed if there is a will to do so, but STUPID is forever! There is nothing wrong with any bike mentioned in the entire thread, only some limitations that we, as pilots must deal with and compensate. He has his opinion and we disagree with it.

Karl

PS: He is behaving like and ignorant, opinionated boor!
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

I love my fat ass, I love your skinny ass,I love the blur, I love Genuine, I love Honda, I love the reflex (ok that ones kinda tough to say) I love PeterC, Crossbolt, TVB, Capt Don, Scootavaran, Illnoise, Ed, Agrogod, Tristik, Alex, VWgirl, and I even love JH Scoot :P
I love to ride and so should you.
6ft 230#'s signing off :lol:
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
Swordsman

Post by Swordsman »

I think it's funny that the guy in the vid was so thoroughly disgusted with the Blur because....... the RPMs weren't accurate. I didn't hear him complain about anything else.