California jobs

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

2wheelNsanity

California jobs

Post by 2wheelNsanity »

Hello, everyone its been awhile since I made a post, Kaze is still down and I am waiting to get the money to fix her.
But the reason for this post is I just put in an application for a position in Petaluma, CA. the position pays $18.00/hr. and I was wandering in California money terms is that a good wage?
There seems to be more entry level biology jobs in California than any other state and the pay is usually around 30k/yr.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

your rent (if you rent) will be your biggest expense for anything other then a room. $18 an hour at a 40hr week puts you at $720 before taxes. if you are single income a one bedroom or studio can eat through two weeks of your wages.

the bay area is said to be the most expensive place to live (rent) in the country. and that is the area you plan on living

that said if its anything like Los Angeles their are surrounding cities and suburbs where rent can vary from place to place and neighborhood to neighborhood. and even in Los Angeles some deals can be had on condos and apartments in Downtown atm. but they are small and you have to want to BUY downtown. i don't know the situation where you are going, however

if you are single and enjoy life you can do it on a tight budget imo. if you can rent a room or tolerate roommates or plan on being two income, even better. but California living on 30k a year? idk? it all depends on how much you like cali and its culture. i have not much knowledge of the bay area, though

in Los Angeles i would say heck yes. but i am a native and know how its done. take me out of L.A. however and i have to think "what would i do in the Bay Area?" or other places...

I LOVE LA, though. think i'd live here even if i had to live on the street. i'd just move to Venice Beach 8)

good luck, anyway. one persons shoestring budget is another persons cali dream. just depends how you work it and what you like to do

EDIT: but to answer the question....no. its not a GOOD wage. but its livable depending on who you are and what you do and you won't die in the streets
Riding is riding
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

It's doable although it will be tight for a while untill you learn where/when to go out. The bay area is expensive but I find that people are quite adaptable to situations. It maybe hard at first but everything is hard at first...
2wheelNsanity

Post by 2wheelNsanity »

I thought it would be a tough go on only $18/hr. I've been to San Fransisco three times, as a truck driver, and all were a headache, but then again most places in a semi are a headache. The rent is the killer there around $1500 for a one bedroom; plus one of my biggist problems are my student loans, between the two I would have to live on bread and water. Well thanx for the info and keep on scoot'n in your big wonderfull state, even though it is expensive :D .
SoCalScooter

Post by SoCalScooter »

2wheelNsanity wrote:I thought it would be a tough go on only $18/hr. I've been to San Fransisco three times, as a truck driver, and all were a headache, but then again most places in a semi are a headache. The rent is the killer there around $1500 for a one bedroom; plus one of my biggist problems are my student loans, between the two I would have to live on bread and water. Well thanx for the info and keep on scoot'n in your big wonderfull state, even though it is expensive :D .
Can you live comfortably on $30,000 per year in California? You bet! You might not be able to drive a brand new BMW or live in a mansion, but you can get by on more than just bread and water.

Petaluma is about a half hour north of San Fran proper, if I recall correctly (I have an uncle who lives there). The whole bay area is pricey, but I would bet your rent would be cheaper in the north suburbs rather than in the city, proper. With that said, get a roommate, or two! $2,250 for a 2 bedroom is still cheaper than $1,500 for one person.

Another thing to consider if you live in an expensive area and don't make a lot of money - Public Assistance. My sister (family of 4) lived in Santa Barbara for a few years while her husband worked on a research grant. They made less than $90,000 per year and thus qualified for housing assistance. They were happy to have the help and they were able to afford a decent place to raise their kids. (For those that would frown on public assistance - It's a social safety net that was put in place for a reason. I'm not advocating making a lifestyle out of it. Use the program for its intended purpose of helping you while you study/advance your career).

In regards to living on a budget/saving money - check out Mr. Money Mustache's blog... The guy writes well and he (and the forum community there) inspired me to get serious about retirement savings (I'm 34 and hope to retire by 55 at the latest). He also has an article titled "Get Rich with Scooters" :D No More Harvard Debt and Early Retirement Extreme are also interesting reads, but focus on more extreme measures to meet your goals.

Good luck!
TroutBum

Post by TroutBum »

Petaluma is a highly desirable area and as such pricey. Checkout Santa Rosa. It is generally less expensive and not too far north of Petaluma. To be honest at $18/hr you would need to live as a minimalist. You mentioned truck driving. Check the wineries in the areas north to northeast of Petaluma. They may have opening for drivers. I would think it pays more than $18/hr.
2wheelNsanity

Post by 2wheelNsanity »

I looked into Santa Rosa and the rent there is generally $1,000 or more for a one bedroom, but what is the traffic like on the 101?
I think I need to explain my situation a little better. I am 46 with a wife of 21 years and three great monsters. Biology jobs in the midwest are far and few inbetween, so I was looking to get some entry level experience so that I may be better qualified. While doing my search most entry level biology jobs seemed to be in California and in the northeast (NY area), so I thought maybe apply for the ones in California and see what happens. If I could get atleast a year under my belt, my resume would look so much better. All the while my wife and kids would stay here, a tough ask but a Masters degree without experience is worthless and I am not going to get anywhere, financially, by working for minimum wage at Walmart.
I thank everyone for trying to help :D .
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

You got to think very differently than you ever have.Many have walked in your shoes and lucked out when they went the small house,Yurt,etc way.

To learn more about cheaper living go here:

http://tinyhouseblog.com/

There are plenty more of the same type of websites,some very popular.Google is your friend.
Aerosmith, None Other.
heyitsomid

Post by heyitsomid »

I lived in the Bay Area for three years and I'm semi familiar with that area. If you were living alone it seems like you could easily find something in the neighborhood of $1,000 for a one bedroom. If you'd be willing to rent a room in a house or condo it would be even less ie housemates. I saw two bedrooms going for $1400. Having worked in research myself, getting yourself in the bay area would definitely be worthwhile. There are many companies out there involved in your field. Not to mention that area is really a beautiful place to live. I'm sure your family would eventually follow you there! Good luck with everything!
ThreeSheets
Dealer

Post by ThreeSheets »

best luck with your current endeavor! I do not have any experience living in California, but I have visited, beautiful place to be.
<b>FLAT SQUIRREL SCOOTERS</b>
421 N. Randall Rd, Lake in the Hills, IL
www.flatsquirrelscooters.com
TroutBum

Post by TroutBum »

Have you checked out the Sacramento area for biology jobs? Cost of living is a lot less, but the pay should be the same if not more. The Sacramento area has a lot to offer. My brother lives in Folsom and rent's a 3 bedroom house in a nice neighborhood for $1,200/mo. My neice and her husband just got an apartment near my brother in a new compex for $950/mo for a two bedroom.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

i have heard good things about Sac

also don't let all the politics of the day influence you, cali bankrupt, cities crumbling, etc

i assure you its a wonderful state with much to offer if you have some income
Riding is riding
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

what are you meaning by "biology". I work for Life Technologies in Carlsbad. We have a big R&D function here as well as manufacturing. I think 18hr is more a manufacturing wage rather than scientist wage.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

After working in California for 6 months, I have vowed to NEVER have to resort to living in that state again! Not enough jobs, WAY too expensive for just about everything and laws that make as little sense as possible and that make NYC look easy going! It's just too expensive for what it is. Some really rave about the "culture" (or lack thereof) and the weather, but for the cost and stress... it's just not for me.

Now, I know some people in San Fransisco who LOVE the place, and it really fits them. Really nice place to visit if you can afford it and it's one of the few places there that have legitimate culture. But, there is just no way I could afford that without an amazingly stunning job, and in my field there are 100 people for every 1 job there.

Considering I've been able to function on $15/hr here +/- extra cash from independent show gigs and royalty checks while paying for two dependent people, I can't imagine what I'd have to pay to make California work.
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

neotrotsky wrote:After working in California for 6 months, I have vowed to NEVER have to resort to living in that state again! Not enough jobs, WAY too expensive for just about everything and laws that make as little sense as possible and that make NYC look easy going! It's just too expensive for what it is. Some really rave about the "culture" (or lack thereof) and the weather, but for the cost and stress... it's just not for me.

Now, I know some people in San Fransisco who LOVE the place, and it really fits them. Really nice place to visit if you can afford it and it's one of the few places there that have legitimate culture. But, there is just no way I could afford that without an amazingly stunning job, and in my field there are 100 people for every 1 job there.

Considering I've been able to function on $15/hr here +/- extra cash from independent show gigs and royalty checks while paying for two dependent people, I can't imagine what I'd have to pay to make California work.
...you spent a few months in Anaheim, right? deja vu.

Anaheim: 50.8 sq miles.
Los Angeles Metropolitan Area: 4,850 sq mile
Greater Los Angeles Area: 33,954 sq mi
California: 163,696 sq. mi

I've lived and worked in and around the Bay Area for about over 6 years, as well as near Sacramento for 5, and down in LA for the last 4 years. Completely different experiences, betting pretty different industries, markets, life styles and social scenes as well. Up in the Bay Area, San Francisco vs Oakland vs Berkeley vs Palo Alto vs San Jose are *worlds* apart, despite being within roughly 30 miles of each other. You might as well be in different states ;) If you're going to paint with a super-super sized brush based on your few months in Anaheim, of all places, at least try to paint within the lines of "LA" or even "SoCal." (which also differ pretty drastically. Ever spend much time by Venice or Hermosa Beach? <.<)

The NorCal vs SoCal rivalry runs deep!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of ... ia_rivalry

/cough

----
2wheel, I had sent you some contact info a while back for a former coworker, not sure if she was able to be of any help. I've only driven through Petaluma, and been to the outlets once or twice, so I don't know the area well. My background is biotech, and probably pretty different than what you are looking for, or I'd try to offer more help. Cost of life will vary drastically from region to region. But if you do end up making the move, the current job you're interested in may be a good stepping stone for something else in the state - we have a lot of varied bio companies.
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

I gotta agree with Edwub. California is a bit like the U.K. in that can vary quite differently depending on location. Even the style of dress and peoples' everyday attitude are different in regards to SoCal and NoCal...
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

Edwub wrote:I've lived and worked in and around the Bay Area for about over 6 years, as well as near Sacramento for 5, and down in LA for the last 4 years. Completely different experiences, betting pretty different industries, markets, life styles and social scenes as well. Up in the Bay Area, San Francisco vs Oakland vs Berkeley vs Palo Alto vs San Jose are *worlds* apart, despite being within roughly 30 miles of each other. You might as well be in different states ;) If you're going to paint with a super-super sized brush based on your few months in Anaheim, of all places, at least try to paint within the lines of "LA" or even "SoCal."
:!: +1. Of all the places to judge the entire state of California by, Anaheim would be among the worst. For that matter, you can't judge any of California by one city. I grew up in the SF Bay Area and lived in various parts of it as an adult and I can attest that there is a lot culture there and it's quite varied city by city, metro area by metro area.

As for living there on $18 an hour, you can probably survive on that. But will you also be supporting your family back home? If that's the case, then maybe not. I do agree though that making a sacrifice to get experience is a wise move. To that end, consider looking for a place to live that's not close in. If you're willing to commute some, you can get much cheaper rent. However, do consider your transportation costs if you do that. If you're able ride your scooter, then it would be worth it. But they do get a fair amount of rain in that area, so be realistic about what you're willing to ride in. In any case, good luck!
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

My first job in San Diego, I got 3 days after arriving in 2005. It was $24/hr to be a temp secretary. It'd be tight to live in San Diego ALONE on $18/hr but lots of folks I know don't live alone out here.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

neotrotsky wrote:After working in California for 6 months, I have vowed to NEVER have to resort to living in that state again! Not enough jobs, WAY too expensive for just about everything and laws that make as little sense as possible and that make NYC look easy going! It's just too expensive for what it is. Some really rave about the "culture" (or lack thereof) and the weather, but for the cost and stress... it's just not for me.

Different strokes for different folks. But as much complaining as you do in other threads about Phoenix, I gotta ask where your ideal locale would be.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:

Different strokes for different folks. But as much complaining as you do in other threads about Phoenix, I gotta ask where your ideal locale would be.
That is a valid question. My complaining about California mainly centers around the cost of living and how everyone seems to "love" California, but while I realize each region of the state is different, none have really gripped me. That and the job market is about as vicious as it gets.

It's no secret that I miss NYC. I REALLY enjoyed Brooklyn and could even tolerate commuting to Manhattan (sort of like one big video game:P). I simply couldn't afford it. The downfall of both states I suppose, but NYC just really fit my personality and what I expected from a major urban area. No place in California has really done the same. If I could land a decent full time gig in New York, I'd be back in a heartbeat!

Me and my wife are actively shopping around for a new market once I finish up the next 2 degrees (ugh! Don't ever take a career path that requires such things... dumbest move ever, even if I do love my job). We've been very much attracted to Denver since I have quite a few friends there and much of the arts scene really fits what I already do. And, it's "small town" enough for me. I don't think I could function much smaller. And the weather! Granted the winters are not so hot, but after living in Flagstaff I think I can handle what it's got. We've also been impressed with Boston with even a few possible job opportunities with the university theaters out there. But, again... cost is the biggest downfall. It would almost be more practical to live in NYC.

I suppose I'm more attuned to older cities or more culture-centric cities. California always seemed to have a veneer of consumerism over it. Some love the state, but overall it never impressed me and had a bit of smug-ness to it's image. Again, this is my opinion.
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>