NSR-what books(if any)are you reading?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

chub1965

NSR-what books(if any)are you reading?

Post by chub1965 »

just finished 4th game of thrones book and wondered if other scooterist also enjoyed a good book from time to time.
Tristik

Post by Tristik »

~~
Actually, I'm about 2/3 of the way through the 3rd "A Song of Ice and Fire book"...

You have damn good taste, my friend!
~~
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Due to all the reading I need to do at work, I'm sorry to say that I don't find it as pleasurable as I once did. Sorta like a busman's holiday. Maybe that'll change when and if I ever get to retire.

In any event, I always found Kenneth Roberts' books about the colonial/revolutionary era very entertaining. If you're into that genre, here are three good ones

Northwest Passage (Made into a movie in 1940, starring Spencer Tracy)
A Rabble in Arms
Arundel
theflash784

Books

Post by theflash784 »

I like a wide varity of books. I go for the science fiction/fantasy..mystery...a good spy adventure or intrigue novel and I admit, I even read certain romance novels. I love David Weber's Honor Harrington series and just finished Kristin Britian's newest Green Rider novel. I also love L.E. Modesett's books.
Syd

Post by Syd »

I just finished The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry, and since I had nothing else on hand, I decided I'd try (for the 4th or 5th time) Ulysses. Tough slog, but I'm already further than past attempts.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
TVB

Post by TVB »

The latest book I've read was Witch Doctor by Brandon Seifert and Lukas Ketner. It's a graphic novel about a physician who treats metaphysical illnesses that manifest like supernatural monsters. Creepy and funny.
Mousenut

Post by Mousenut »

I pretty much only read non-fiction now and leave the fiction to the voices in my head but I am reading "The Bread Baker's Apprentice" to learn how to make decent bread. Hoping to build a wood fired pizza oven in my back yard next year and I'd like to know how to use it for more than pizza before I build it. I have my eye on a couple other Peter Reinhart books after this one. It's amazing how little we know about such a simple thing until you start to learn more and realize that you can never know enough.
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

I bought this:

http://storybundle.com/

I've read through Bypass Gemini and Unstable Prototypes and I've just started on Journey to Hart's Halo.

A++ Would buy again :)
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

The manga cookbook and the book of five rings...
amy

Post by amy »

"Fall of Giants" by Ken Follett

The first novel in the Century trilogy, it follows the fates of five interrelated families – American, German, Russian, English and Welsh – as they move through the world-shaking dramas of the First World War, the Russian Revolution, and the struggle for women’s suffrage.[/list]
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

I re-read a lot. Either I've got a short attention span (hiding my own Easter eggs), or I can re-enjoy a good book like a good movie. Drives my wife nuts.

Recently....

I like Follett: Pillars of the Earth, Key to Rebecca, On Wings of Eagles (nonfic)
Early Tom Clancy (before he partnered with a 'with' author)
Dale Brown (the Elliot/MacLanahan earlier stuff)
Cryptonomicon (9 or 10 times - it's just too much fun) but can't get into Stephenson's Baroque cycle.

And if I'm ever stuck with time on my hands, I usually keep a few fan-fics on my iPad. Most is crap, but there are some genuine gems.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Currently: Chessmen of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

Just got done reading Sacre Bleu by Christopher Moore-he's funny if you like that stuff. Finished The Song of Fire and Ice series earlier, but loved it.
Big fan of Tom Robbins, and I love Douglas Adams, yeah I like to laugh when I read.
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
scootavaran

Post by scootavaran »

right now i'm reading 2 books for my inner fanboy.

David Kalats, A critical history and flimgraphy of Tohos godzilla series
Karen Travis, Gears of War novels.
jonlink

Post by jonlink »

James Joyce's Ulysses now.
Philips K Dick's The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch next.
Then, Haruki Murakami's Kafka on the Shore.
Rob

Post by Rob »

PeteH wrote:I re-read a lot. Either I've got a short attention span (hiding my own Easter eggs), or I can re-enjoy a good book like a good movie.
:+!:
I just started a re-read of the Travis McGee series by John D. MacDonald.
There are 21 books in the series and I'm back on #3, "A Purple Place For Dying".

When I was younger (and easily influenced), I strongly considered living my life on a houseboat in a Florida marina in part because of this series (and my love of boating and the water). Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately) my wife was having none of that.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
persephonelily

Post by persephonelily »

Oh man, you guys all read the kind of books my husband likes. I'm almost embarrassed to admit to what I am reading at the moment...

Moon Called, by Patricia Briggs. It's pure supernatural fluff, but I can't seem to get enough of them. I'm supposed to be reading The Language of Flowers for my book club, but I'm so not interested. The last book we read for club was The Tiger's Wife, which I do NOT recommend.
laxer

Post by laxer »

Since I'm an English teacher, I'm always reading at least one young-adult novel as well as ones for me. Right now I've got Tyler Whitesides' Janitors, The Napoleon of Crime: The Life and Times of Adam Worth, and The Great Train Robbery by Crichton.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

After not reading anything for 10+ years, I started reading a lot again about 6 or 7 years ago.
I didnt realize it until I looked at my kindle history but I go through about 30 books a year.
My favorite stuff is mystery and or cop and or murder stuff & I really like a series of books (nothing like getting to know a character over 10 or 15 books!)
Here are my favorite authors - I have read everything they have out:
John Sandford
Robert Crais
Michael Connelly
David Baldacci
Lee Child

For FUN - Tim Dorsey books are GREAT - lots of excitement & FUNNY

If anyone has any suggestions for authors that might be similar to my list, PLEASE let me know - I need more to read!
Thanks

What am I reading right now?
I am re-reading Wicked Prey (still good the 2nd time around)
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

Author Gillian Flynn, read all three of her books in rapid succession this summer. Mysteries, with wonderfully twisted and emotionally damaged characters.
Tam Tam

Post by Tam Tam »

A biography of Peter Sellers
"When you're racing, that's when you're really alive. Everything else...everything...just becomes waiting to race." - Steve McQueen
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

Just finished an interesting e-book.: Rhubarb by M.H. Van Keuren
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
scootavaran

Post by scootavaran »

^^^ I'm glad you brought up e-books.
I've been thinking of getting one of these to help me travel lighter.
Anyone have any suggestions or Pros and Cons about these readers?
persephonelily

Post by persephonelily »

ScootLemont wrote:After not reading anything for 10+ years, I started reading a lot again about 6 or 7 years ago.
I didnt realize it until I looked at my kindle history but I go through about 30 books a year.
My favorite stuff is mystery and or cop and or murder stuff & I really like a series of books (nothing like getting to know a character over 10 or 15 books!)
John Sandford
Robert Crais
Michael Connelly
David Baldacci
Lee Child

If anyone has any suggestions for authors that might be similar to my list, PLEASE let me know - I need more to read!
Thanks

You might like Patricia Cornwell. She writes about murder/police procedural stuff. Her main character is an ME in I think Virginia, and she's constantly getting asked to look into strange cases. Cornwell does a good job with accuracy as well, although if you start at the beginning of the Scarpetta series, you'll see how dated a lot of the equipment and procedures are. As with watching CSI, I have to stop reading them for a couple of months in between, because I have a tendency to yell "That's not how that's done in a real lab!!" and such in the middle of reading a page.
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

Reading now... Uncomman Grounds The history of Coffee and How It Transformed Our World by Mark Pendergrast and A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving a gift from a client. R
gr8dog

Post by gr8dog »

Just finished "The 12th Imam" by Joel Rosenberg. What's next? I don't know yet.
gr8dog

Post by gr8dog »

ScootLemont wrote:After not reading anything for 10+ years, I started reading a lot again about 6 or 7 years ago.
John Sandford
Robert Crais
Michael Connelly
David Baldacci
Lee Child

Thanks

You might try the Sigma Series of books by James Rollins. He blends leading edge science, history, geography and just about anything else you can imagine into action/adventure fiction. He includes references at the end of his books so you can even check out the legitimacy of the impossible sounding things in the books.
Syd

Post by Syd »

scootavaran wrote:^^^ I'm glad you brought up e-books.
I only know the original Kindle and the original Nook, but I have looked at the current Nook e-Reader. If you want to read; i.e. you odn't want a generic consumption device, most of the E-Ink based readers should be good, and the Amazon and B&N models very good. Both allow you to buy content and side load files from your PC (pre-copyrighted works from the likes of sites like Project Gutenberg as well as books borrowed from your local Public Library).

I do like the new black and white Nook for it's smaller size and improved battery.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Po

Post by Po »

Syd wrote:
scootavaran wrote:^^^ I'm glad you brought up e-books.
I only know the original Kindle and the original Nook, but I have looked at the current Nook e-Reader. If you want to read; i.e. you odn't want a generic consumption device, most of the E-Ink based readers should be good, and the Amazon and B&N models very good. Both allow you to buy content and side load files from your PC (pre-copyrighted works from the likes of sites like Project Gutenberg as well as books borrowed from your local Public Library).

I do like the new black and white Nook for it's smaller size and improved battery.
I'm a huge kindle fan, for many reasons but mostly because I use Amazon a lot for other purchases, and if you are a prime member you can use their lending library, which is way cool. Also I use their shelfari site to track books I've read and to get other recommendations.
we thought we could outrun them but they had robot dogs
laxer

Post by laxer »

I should also mention that I just finished the first two books in Rick Yancey's Monstrumologist series and found it to be fantastic.
anthony

Post by anthony »

I'm currently reading "Traffic: Why We Drive the Way We Do (and What it Says About Us" by Tom Vanderbilt, which is a really interesting book that goes into the psychology behind our driving behavior, and which I think a lot of people on this forum would be interested in. I had seen the book referenced somewhere, and when I went to Amazon to read more about it, I saw that there was a Q&A with the author. Reading it is what made me feel like I had to read the book.
chinaski

Post by chinaski »

Currently reading Transmetropolitan.
TVB

Post by TVB »

chinaski wrote:Currently reading Transmetropolitan.
:+!:
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Love Transmetropolitan!

If I may plug a project I helped organize a few years ago, here are some summer reading ideas:

http://www.coudal.com/ftb/index.php

and mine, specifically:

http://www.coudal.com/ftb/index.php?yea ... hor=bedell

B.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Dracolibris

Post by Dracolibris »

laxer wrote:I should also mention that I just finished the first two books in Rick Yancey's Monstrumologist series and found it to be fantastic.
LOVED these books! So visceral, and horrifying! I keep trying to push them onto my teen readers, but not a lot of luck so far- I think they are intimidated by the archaic language/setting, but wow, these blew me away.
Knowledge is free at the library. Just bring your own container.
Dracolibris

Post by Dracolibris »

A book discussion in the scooter community? Sign me up! :-)

I'm a teen librarian, so obviously, a lot of what I read is going to be in the YA category. Luckily, I love that stuff, but I also really enjoy graphic novels, adult horror, science-fiction and fantasy. Some of my recent favorites have included...

Finnikin of the Rock by Malina Marchetta (reminded me of what thoroughly satisfying fantasy novels can be like)
The Fault in Our Stars- John Green (anything by him packs a whallop)
The Ranger's Apprentice series- John Flanagan
The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel series by Michael Scott
Let's Pretend This Never Happened: A Mostly True Memoir by Jenny Lawson aka The Bloggess (For all of you who like to laugh while you read- HIGHLY recommended)
Insignia by S.J. Kincaid
Legend by Marie Lu
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (a MUST for generation 1980's)
I Hunt Killers by Barry Lyga
The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

Books I haven't been able to stop talking about since I read them:
Beauty Queens by Libba Bray
172 Hours on the Moon by Johan Harsted
The Chaos Walking series by Patrick Ness
Rot & Ruin (and sequel) by Jonathan Maberry (BEST zombie books I have ever read)

Look me up on Goodreads if you want to see my reviews or keep up with my current reads: Dracolibris.
Knowledge is free at the library. Just bring your own container.
chub1965

Post by chub1965 »

now reading the game by neil strauss(sweet)and neurolinguistic programing by neil shaw.trying to become a bit more social.easy to talk to scooter people but not so good with general social events.never to late to learn a new skill,hey i was forty something when i started scooting.
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

To day I am reading, The Complete Idiot's Guide to Palmistry... Really! It is a very Handy book to have around. R
TVB

Post by TVB »

I'm about halfway through Remembrance of Things I Forgot by Bob Smith. It's a darkly funny book about a middle-aged guy who, on the day that he's about to break up with his partner of 15 years for turning into a [insert political party here], gets sent back in time 20 years, where he enlists the help of his younger self to prevent his sister's suicide, while being pursued by the evil vice president of his present.
buddy boy

Post by buddy boy »

Currently rereading, "No Man Knows My History, the life of Joseph Smith"
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

Dracolibris wrote:A book discussion in the scooter community? Sign me up! :-)

I'm a teen librarian, so obviously, a lot of what I read is going to be in the YA category. Luckily, I love that stuff, but I also really enjoy graphic novels, adult horror, science-fiction and fantasy. Some of my recent favorites have included...

Finnikin of the Rock by Malina Marchetta (reminded me of what thoroughly satisfying fantasy novels can be like)
The Fault in Our Stars- John Green (anything by him packs a whallop)
The Ranger's Apprentice series- John Flanagan
The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel series by Michael Scott
Let's Pretend This Never Happened: A Mostly True Memoir by Jenny Lawson aka The Bloggess (For all of you who like to laugh while you read- HIGHLY recommended)
Insignia by S.J. Kincaid
Legend by Marie Lu
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (a MUST for generation 1980's)
I Hunt Killers by Barry Lyga
The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

Books I haven't been able to stop talking about since I read them:
Beauty Queens by Libba Bray
172 Hours on the Moon by Johan Harsted
The Chaos Walking series by Patrick Ness
Rot & Ruin (and sequel) by Jonathan Maberry (BEST zombie books I have ever read)

Look me up on Goodreads if you want to see my reviews or keep up with my current reads: Dracolibris.
!!! I really want to go out and get Jenny Lawson's book, I love her to death! I started reading her blog shortly after I got out of the hospital.

I pre-ordered George Takei's book today, mostly just because it's George Takei.

Draco, and any others who appreciate fantasies, may I suggest Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn? Fantastic book, I thought it had some truly unique elements to it. I've only read the one, but it's the first of a trilogy and I'm dying to read the next two- waiting for my friend to lend them to me.

Don't hate on me, but somebody gave me a copy of the first Hunger Games book while I was completely bedridden, and a I read it begrudgingly out of necessity; I ended up downloading the other two and being rather impressed. Not the best books ever for sure, but it also wasn't the juvenile love triangle story I was expecting, like Twilight seems to be.

Working on the Game of Thrones series.
laxer

Post by laxer »

Dracolibris wrote:
laxer wrote:I should also mention that I just finished the first two books in Rick Yancey's Monstrumologist series and found it to be fantastic.
LOVED these books! So visceral, and horrifying! I keep trying to push them onto my teen readers, but not a lot of luck so far- I think they are intimidated by the archaic language/setting, but wow, these blew me away.
Me too! Just got my hands on The Isle of Blood
black sunshine

Post by black sunshine »

LunaP wrote:Draco, and any others who appreciate fantasies, may I suggest Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn? Fantastic book, I thought it had some truly unique elements to it. I've only read the one, but it's the first of a trilogy and I'm dying to read the next two- waiting for my friend to lend them to me.
there are actually 3 more ;-) the next two in that trilogy, and then a short novel set in the future of the setting which is AWESOME. i LOVE Sanderson. i got to meet him at Dragon*Con earlier this month and he was SUPER nice. he read a chapter from the upcoming finale of the Wheel of Time series to us at a panel. ROCK.

it would take me forever to list all of the books . . . but suffice it to say that i pretty much only read fantasy and a bit of sci-fi. right now i'm reading "A Wolf At The Door" by K.A. Stewart, which is some urban fantasy goodness. i think my favorite series that i started this year was the Gentlemen Bastards series by Scott Lynch.

Brandon Sanderson
Patrick Rothfuss
George R.R. Martin
Neil Gaiman
Joe Abercrombie
Kevin Hearne
Thomas Sniegoski

f it, here's my Goodreads acct: http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/6052676-adam-darby

add me!!!
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

I almost never read fiction. I figure life's too short to read about things that never happened. Yeah, yeah, I know, the great books and all that.

I prefer nonfiction of just about any type.

But currently I'm rereading the Illiad. I've got my son's school copy and it's a much easier to read translation than the one I got free from Amazon.

About the ereaders, I've decided that I want an e-ink device, since I have a tablet and find it too heavy and the battery life too short to be useful to me as a book. The newest devices like the Nook Glo-light and the upcoming Kindle Paperwhite are what hold my interest the most.

I'm thinking Kindle because I think it might be worth the extra to get the 3g capability, plus that wonderful display. I just hate that they've reduced the memory to only 2gb. The Nook has no more onboard but it has a card slot.
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

black sunshine wrote:
LunaP wrote:Draco, and any others who appreciate fantasies, may I suggest Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn? Fantastic book, I thought it had some truly unique elements to it. I've only read the one, but it's the first of a trilogy and I'm dying to read the next two- waiting for my friend to lend them to me.
there are actually 3 more ;-) the next two in that trilogy, and then a short novel set in the future of the setting which is AWESOME. i LOVE Sanderson. i got to meet him at Dragon*Con earlier this month and he was SUPER nice. he read a chapter from the upcoming finale of the Wheel of Time series to us at a panel. ROCK.
Oohhhhhh man, my roomie's gonna crap a brick when he finds out about the fourth one... thank you for telling me, had no idea!!
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

I sense a disturbing lack of discworld in this thread.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

Dunno what that means but it definitely went rampantly OT.
TVB

Post by TVB »

Southerner wrote:I prefer nonfiction of just about any type.
But currently I'm rereading the Illiad.
That's OK; it's "based on a true story". :)
I'm thinking Kindle because I think it might be worth the extra to get the 3g capability, plus that wonderful display.
IMHO the 3G capability isn't that useful. On a general-purpose tablet, sure, but how often are you going to want to buy a new book, but can't find a place where you can get on wifi for half a minute?
I just hate that they've reduced the memory to only 2gb. The Nook has no more onboard but it has a card slot.
You can fit a lot of books in 2GB. I have the original 2GB wifi Nook, with 40 prose books and a 200-page graphic novel on it, and that's only using 5%. And it's not as if you need to keep all of the books you purchase loaded on the Nook; you can download them, read them, delete them, then download them again if you want to read them again. (Or if you're paranoid about B&N or Amazon going out of business, you can backup the books to your computer.) Unless you must have your entire library with you all the time, 2GB is plenty.
black sunshine

Post by black sunshine »

Lokky wrote:I sense a disturbing lack of discworld in this thread.
ya know . . . i tried to give Pratchett a chance, i really did, but i can't help but to keep comparing him to Douglas Adams and . . . well, his style just leaves me kind of flat. even in "Good Omens" i felt like i could tell what Gaiman was bringing and what Pratchett was, and i definitely liked the Gaiman more. just my opinion, though . . . maybe i'll revisit his stuff later and like it :-)
avonpirate

Post by avonpirate »

Just finished Tyler Hamilton's book: The Secret Race. Thinking about it kept me up and thinking last night. The power of ego and illusion and better living through bio-chemistry. Who do I think less of if anyone? and why. As a spectator the excitement of the possibility of super heroes served me well. Wish I made that amount of $, and that I could be as tenacious as they are.
She with the most 'used' toys wins.