NSR-what books(if any)are you reading?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

laxer

Post by laxer »

laxer wrote:I'm now reading Bad Monkeys which is essentially a sci-fi Catcher in the Rye. A pretty fun and easy read.
I was wrong, this book starts somewhere but takes you nowhere fast. Maybe I should have realized I wouldn't like it since I didn't like Catcher in the Rye.
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

I hane picked up an old favorite for the dozenth time in 40 years; Nine Hundred Grandmothers by R A Lafferty. Funny profound and timeless. A collection of short stories. R
Dracolibris

Post by Dracolibris »

I felt the need to take a break from YA fiction, so I just finished "Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith" by Jon Krakauer and will start "Suck It, Wonder Woman: The Misadventures of a Hollywood Geek" by Olivia Munn, while waiting patiently for my husband to finish "Cold Days" by Jim Butcher so I can read it too.
Knowledge is free at the library. Just bring your own container.
laxer

Post by laxer »

Right now I'm reading Sold by Patricia McCormick. Interesting writing style and a very moving story about child slavery and sex trafficking. Also reading House of the Scorpion as my YA novel right now, so far, so good.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Boardwalk Empire: The Birth, High Times, and Corruption of Atlantic City
by Nelson Johnson

I'm reading this because I enjoy the Boardwalk Empire series on HBO. However, thus far this is a very slow read. I may not make it to the end.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

English History made Brief, Irreverent, and Pleasurable by Lacey Baldwin Smith, Author of Henry VIII: The Mask of Royalty.

Really a good read.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I just finished Zero to Sixty: The Motorcycle Journey of a Lifetime ... meh.

A guy closing in on 60 with recently diagnosed heart disease decides to take a road trip from New Mexico to Alaska on a Harley. These kinds of things are usually right up my alley. This one .... not great, not terrible and I did struggle some to get through it.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
Syd

Post by Syd »

PowerShell Cookbook. Until it makes me nod off at work.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

The Green Pearl by Jack Vance and The Civil War; a narrative by Shelby Foote I am on volume 3. R
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Just got my copy of Clancy's Threat Vector from the library, plus working through Daniel Silva's Gabriel Allon series.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
TVB

Post by TVB »

I'm in the middle of Peter & Max, a novel by BIll Willingham set in the universe of his Fables series of graphic novels (which "inspired" the recent spate of fairy-tale-characters-in-the-modern-world TV series like Grimm and Once Upon A Time). The book is about Peter Piper, and his older brother Max, who [spoiler] goes mad and becomes the Pied Piper of Hamelin. Willingham does a good job of inventing more complex stories behind the folk tales, and this is up to the standards of the graphic novels... just with much fewer pictures. :)
Mutt the Hoople

Post by Mutt the Hoople »

It's been a re-read winter for me. I have re-read, "To Kill A Mockingbird", and now I'm on a Graham Greene kick... "Just re-read "Our Man From Havana", and now starting on "The Third Man".
96 Decibel Freaks
laxer

Post by laxer »

Just finished Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter and must say that I was pleasantly surprised at how well researched it was and how well the vampires were worked into what was essentially a biography of Lincoln. For YA lit, I'm reading the Leviathan series by Scott Westerfeld (fun historical science fiction that takes place during WWI).
feetchermancj

Post by feetchermancj »

Just read the classic. "Watership Down" great book.
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

Books are a good substitute for a scooter ride on a Cold Sunday Morning. And I am reading; The Templar's Penance by Michael Jecks.
chub1965

Post by chub1965 »

its a nice 56 degrees here in rva and i took a few laps around town but the sun is droppng and so is the temp.so i will be finishing up"the valkyries"later on tonight.pretty good but not as good as "the alchemist"
GrittyTacoman

Post by GrittyTacoman »

still shifting wrote:The Green Pearl by Jack Vance and The Civil War; a narrative by Shelby Foote I am on volume 3. R
Those three by Shelby Foote are amazing. Classic!

I just finished Dog of the South by Charles Portis. Very funny. Great writer. Right up there with True Grit.

Now I'm back to non fiction with Richard Evans' 3 volume history of the Third Reich.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Mutt the Hoople wrote:...now I'm on a Graham Greene kick... "Just re-read "Our Man From Havana", and now starting on "The Third Man".
I met him quite by accident in the late 1980s in an English-language library tucked away in a bomb shelter in Switzerland. True story! How many people can claim that, I wonder?
Last edited by jrsjr on Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Syd

Post by Syd »

jrsjr wrote:
Mutt the Hoople wrote:...now I'm on a Graham Greene kick... "Just re-read "Our Man From Havana", and now starting on "The Third Man".
I met him quite by accident in the late 1980s in an English-language library tucked away in a bomb shelter in Switzerland. True story! How many people can claim that, I wonder?
Now that that sounds like the beginning of a John le Carre' story!
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Syd wrote:
jrsjr wrote:
It was a tiny little library with one huge literary icon. Graham Greene was holding forth in a chair next to the enormously thick bomb-shelter door with a small group of folks standing around hanging on his every word. I couldn't believe it.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Syd wrote:
jrsjr wrote:
A Small Town In ... Switzerland? :D
C2

Post by C2 »

I just finished listening to the audio book of Pete Townshend reading his autobiography, "Who I Am." And I have to say.. the story is amazing! I recommend it highly. The story is very well written, and having hearing it told in Pete's voice and wit really makes it come alive.

C2
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

PeteH wrote:
Syd wrote:
jrsjr wrote: I met him quite by accident in the late 1980s in an English-language library tucked away in a bomb shelter in Switzerland. True story! How many people can claim that, I wonder?
A Small Town In ... Switzerland? :D
Compared to the little village I lived in, Vevey was a veritable metropolis. This was Switzerland and my village was so small, it didn't even rate a train stop. We had a PTT and a boulangerie and that was about it. :wink:

P.S. I should mention that we did have a castle...
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

A Small Town In ... Switzerland? :D[/quote]
Compared to the little village I lived in, Vevey was a veritable metropolis. This was Switzerland and my village was so small, it didn't even rate a train stop. We had a PTT and a boulangerie and that was about it. :wink:

P.S. I should mention that we did have a castle...[/quote]

I grew up in a town so small that fire was a modern convienace. R
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Hmmm. I work for a somewhat large company HQ'd in Vevey. :D

Haven't been over yet, but it's a possibility.
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

I just finished "Longrider - A Tale of Just Passin' Through" by Mark "Tiger" Edmonds. Mark has over a million miles on various motorcycles, mostly BMW's. He writes, passionately, about his experiences in and observations about America and the people who live and drive/ride here. Good book. I have read 2 others by the same author. I'll be starting "Scooters - Red eyes, white walls and blue smoke" today. I first saw it at Scoot Over and got a copy for my birthday this year.

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
TVB

Post by TVB »

Howardr wrote:I'll be starting "Scooters - Red eyes, white walls and blue smoke" today.
Love the title.
DariaSen

Post by DariaSen »

I'm working slowly through Game of Thrones on the eReader when out and reading some ole James Thurber books at home. The are old 1st editions and I'm too scared to let them leave the house.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Downloaded but haven't yet read:
The Revolution Was Televised: The Cops, Crooks, Slingers and Slayers Who Changed TV Drama Forever
ONE OF NEW YORK TIMES BOOK CRITIC MICHIKO KAKUTANI’S 10 FAVORITE BOOKS OF THE YEAR
ONE OF HOLLYWOOD REPORTER’S 12 BEST HOLLYWOOD-RELATED BOOKS OF THE YEAR

In The Revolution Was Televised, celebrated TV critic Alan Sepinwall chronicles the remarkable transformation of the small screen over the past fifteen years. Focusing on twelve innovative television dramas that changed the medium and the culture at large forever, including The Sopranos, Oz, The Wire, Deadwood, The Shield, Lost, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, 24, Battlestar Galactica, Friday Night Lights, Mad Men, and Breaking Bad, Sepinwall weaves his trademark incisive criticism with highly entertaining reporting about the real-life characters and conflicts behind the scenes.

Drawing on interviews with writers David Chase, David Simon, David Milch, Joel Surnow and Howard Gordon, Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse, and Vince Gilligan, among others, along with the network executives responsible for green-lighting these groundbreaking shows, The Revolution Was Televised is the story of a new golden age in TV, one that’s as rich with drama and thrills as the very shows themselves.
When not watching TV, do I really want to read about it? Alan is a great writer and this should be interesting for anyone who watched any of those shows.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Here's a sad confession: I haven't been reading print books and magazines much because I'm in denial about needing reading glasses. The double-edged sword of Asian genes: look younger than I am, but have the crummy eyesight. Instead, reading on tablet and reading a lot of comics and manga/manhwa.

So, Neal Stephenson's 1000+-page Reamde has been sitting on the nightstand for months.

As has John Green's The Fault in Our Stars, which Dracolibris mentioned. Ostensibly YA, but everyone I know who's read it raves about it.

My Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/3637582-eric
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
TVB

Post by TVB »

ericalm wrote:Here's a sad confession: I haven't been reading print books and magazines much because I'm in denial about needing reading glasses.
Meh. It happens. Even without those boyish Asian genes. I've worn glasses for distance since I was in high school, and I've recently had to get a second pair adjusted for close-up. So I've got one pair that's good for 1-8 feet (which I wear at my desk, reading, drawing), and another that's good for 4-∞ (which I wear the rest of the time). My TV is about 6 feet from my couch, so I can wear either pair for that. :)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

TVB wrote:
ericalm wrote:Here's a sad confession: I haven't been reading print books and magazines much because I'm in denial about needing reading glasses.
Meh. It happens. Even without those boyish Asian genes. I've worn glasses for distance since I was in high school, and I've recently had to get a second pair adjusted for close-up. So I've got one pair that's good for 1-8 feet (which I wear at my desk, reading, drawing), and another that's good for 4-∞ (which I wear the rest of the time). My TV is about 6 feet from my couch, so I can wear either pair for that. :)
Oh, I've worn glasses for nearsightedness since a pre-teen. That's why I lament losing my near sight. Now I have no-sightedness. It's getting pretty bad. Guess I'll find some glasses this weekend.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

ericalm wrote:Now I have no-sightedness. It's getting pretty bad. Guess I'll find some glasses this weekend.
Um, just to be clear, you have been to see the eye doctor about this, right? :shock:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

jrsjr wrote:
ericalm wrote:Now I have no-sightedness. It's getting pretty bad. Guess I'll find some glasses this weekend.
Um, just to be clear, you have been to see the eye doctor about this, right? :shock:
Oh, I'm exaggerating it a bit but I am heading to the optometrist soon.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Sooner = Better :D
madtolive

Post by madtolive »

When youre ready for glasses, check out warbyparker.com. Theyve got really cute styles that you can try on at home.
sunil: "And if you spend 40 dollars making a pizza then you sir are a retard."
ericalm: "No name calling, please. Maybe he's using truffles and top-grade meats."
longroof

book read

Post by longroof »

"a higher call" i'll rate it 10 out of 10. it's a ww2 book.
Skippy

Post by Skippy »

Just started Rachel Maddow's Drift. Before that, John Irving's In One Person and Edith Wharton's House of Mirth. My tastes are all over the place!
theflash784

Books

Post by theflash784 »

Calculated in Death by JD Robb aka Norma Roberts. I love this series and share them with my mom and sister
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

madtolive wrote:When youre ready for glasses, check out warbyparker.com. Theyve got really cute styles that you can try on at home.
I've checked them out and like the styles but their dang wide glasses are all too narrow. I need at least a 57mm lens width for my big noggin'. It's kind of a challenge!
Collette

Post by Collette »

Currently reading The Idiot by Dostoevsky :wink:
If you want to know where a road leads, ask someone on their way back.
madtolive

Post by madtolive »

ericalm wrote:
madtolive wrote:When youre ready for glasses, check out warbyparker.com. Theyve got really cute styles that you can try on at home.
I've checked them out and like the styles but their dang wide glasses are all too narrow. I need at least a 57mm lens width for my big noggin'. It's kind of a challenge!
Maybe you ought to get goggles like the nba players get. :wink:
sunil: "And if you spend 40 dollars making a pizza then you sir are a retard."
ericalm: "No name calling, please. Maybe he's using truffles and top-grade meats."
Syd

Post by Syd »

Collette wrote:Currently reading The Idiot by Dostoevsky :wink:
I just finished something very similar. I just finished "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz". Haha!

I was really disappointed in how far from the movie the book was. :P
dakotamouse

Post by dakotamouse »

America the Beautiful, by Dr. Benjamin Carson.
Ride what you like so you'll love to ride!
Scooterist Extraordinaire!
kymur

Eragon

Post by kymur »

Eragon series is great, everyone I know couldn't stop at book 1, (I'm almost done at Book 4).

Also The Lake House by James Patterson is great. Both of these are highly recommended.
Ride Ride Ride ~Kymur
Syd

Post by Syd »

I decided to read the Marvelous Land of Oz, the Wizard's sequel. If you have never read the Wonderful Wizard of Oz, and would like to see how far from the source the movie is, it's an easy read and is freely available from Project Gutenberg. Just search for L Frank Baum.
TVB

Post by TVB »

Syd wrote:I decided to read the Marvelous Land of Oz, the Wizard's sequel. If you have never read the Wonderful Wizard of Oz, and would like to see how far from the source the movie is, it's an easy read and is freely available from Project Gutenberg. Just search for L Frank Baum.
I read The Wonderful Wizard of Oz a few years ago, and thought it would make a really good movie. :) Like most people, I love the Judy Garland film, but since most people don't read novels anymore, I'd like there to also be an authentic "translation" into modern media. :(
kymur

Post by kymur »

TVB wrote: "translation" into modern media. :(
Like a book on the movie?
Ride Ride Ride ~Kymur
Syd

Post by Syd »

"Hello, My name is Syd and I have an Oz problem."

Finished The Marvelous Land of Oz, so I got Ozma of Oz, which I finished and have started Dorothy and The Wizard In Oz.

Please help :lol:
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

I'm slogging my way through the first couple books in the Game of Thrones series. After watching the first two seasons in a semi-marathon (thanks, Roku), too many bearded scruffy guys went by too fast, so I have to put some names, faces, and places in better context. :D

Winter had better NOT be coming! I gotta ride!