The 30,000 mile mark!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Tocsik

The 30,000 mile mark!

Post by Tocsik »

Well, I finally did it! I've been off the whole week moving 2 kids back to college and a third one to his dorm for his Freshman year so I haven't had time to ride.
All the running around and shopping are done now and my "Hunny-do" list was all taken care of, so I rode the 9 miles needed to reach the 30K milestone. I wanted to snap a picture and warm up the fluids so I could do the oil and gear oil change.
About 200 miles ago I did the following so I wouldn't have so much to do at this 30K service:
  • new plug
    new belt
    new sliders (a mix of 12g and 13g)
    a full clean of the variator using brake cleaner (and I polished the pulley faces and ramps with chrome polish so they would be smooth as buttah!)
    removed the clutch and blew out all the belt dust
I'm sipping on a glass of red Moscato while I type this wondering how the next 30,000 miles will be.......
Attachments
30K 800X600.jpg
30K 800X600.jpg (154.83 KiB) Viewed 1517 times
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

congratulations! serious street cred. I only have 11 more to go to hit 25k, surely I can make that happen tomorrow morning on my ride home.
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

Nice! ride safe.
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
Tristik

Post by Tristik »

~~
That is a lot of scootin'! All those miles yours?
~~
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

congrats

i made a 30,000 mile thread some time ago for those of you who reach it. i wanted to show potential owners the reliability and durability of this scooter, as they often have questions. 30,000 miles on a scooter like the buddy would seem to show you get what you pay for and more. so when people visit and ask "are these good" just point them here :)

don't know where the old thread is but this can be the new one

30,000 mile thread :)
Riding is riding
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Dang, I'd better get my sorry butt riding or you all are going to leave me behind! Nice work Gents. Here's to the next 30k being every bit as much fun! :+!:

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
heyitsomid

Post by heyitsomid »

I don't know how you guys do it. I get tired after 10 miles ha
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Congrats! I'll toast to your next 30K!
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Tristik wrote:~~
That is a lot of scootin'! All those miles yours?
~~
Yep, all mine.
I bought the scooter new in July of 2008 at the height of the scooter craze.
If we didn't get snow here in The Mile High City I might be closer to 40K!
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

If the next year is anything like the previous couple of seasons, I'll be hitting the 30k mark around this time next year :shock: Between work, my last year returning to university as a student and the possibility of picking up a part-time gig as an instructor of all things at a local tech college, I'm going to be putting in 100+ miles a day on a commute!
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

Awesome! congrats! I'm working on 26K. I enjoy have 3 scooters, but it does cut back on racking up awesome mileage numbers.

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
PIStaker

Post by PIStaker »

Bravo. Standing O from me. I'm half way there. And looking to match you mile for mile. Sadly, my riding season is coming to a close.
First winter back in Chicago after living in SATX.

Quick question: do you find your variator/ belt slipping after polishing it up like that? Cleaning it to get all of the dust off from the belt and clutch makes sense.
But using the polish on the face of the plate would make the face of the variator slicker, seems counterintuitive.
I'm just curious about your experience.

....but after 30K miles, why am I questioning any of your maintenance routines.

Here are some open questions for all you people with high miles (which I will start a new thread on)

In your opinion, what are some of your keys to logevity?
For example: intervals between oil changes, rollers, clutch replacements, spark plugs etc.
Along the way, have there been any major overhauls, or component replacements?

Are you running bone stock? Or have you made any mods?
I'm heavily modded, so I not fooling myself into thinking I will reach as many miles with my set up.

Sorry for the interogation, but much appreciated.
Mike
TVB

Post by TVB »

monamibuddy wrote:Sadly, my riding season is coming to a close.
I figure we have another 3-4 months before riding season's over in the Great Lakes region. :)
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

Well, I'm pretty heavily modded and have over 25k. 62mm cyclinder, big valve head, performance variator and clutch. I also irde in sand, dirt, rocks, etc, etc.

It sounds trite, but I think riding a lot is key. By that I mean that letting a bike spend lats of time setting idle may be more hazardous to the bike than riding the hell out of it.

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Congrats!

Still hoping we can get together a few more times before the season gets cold.

Besides, I have a ton of ?'s for you about mods that I'll eventually do :P.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

monamibuddy wrote:

Quick question: do you find your variator/ belt slipping after polishing it up like that? Cleaning it to get all of the dust off from the belt and clutch makes sense.
But using the polish on the face of the plate would make the face of the variator slicker, seems counterintuitive.

Here are some open questions for all you people with high miles (which I will start a new thread on)

For example: intervals between oil changes, rollers, clutch replacements, spark plugs etc.

I'm heavily modded, so I not fooling myself into thinking I will reach as many miles with my set up.

Mike
Click my Fuelly sig and you'll see the mods I have done. I'm not running stock but I haven't done anything as radical as a bigger bore or changing the cam or head.
As for polishing the pulley faces, no slippage. Those faces are already smooth and the belt is pinched between them pretty tight. The smoothness of the faces just enhances the smoothness of the "gear" transitions in the CVT.
I attached a screen shot that shows the intervals where I have done service and/or mods. Oil change pretty much every 2K and sometimes I even skipped the filter change to save a few bucks.
Attachments
ScooterService2.jpg
ScooterService2.jpg (137.67 KiB) Viewed 1426 times
PIStaker

Post by PIStaker »

Tocsik wrote:
monamibuddy wrote:

Mike
Click my Fuelly sig and you'll see the mods I have done. I'm not running stock but I haven't done anything as radical as a bigger bore or changing the cam or head.
As for polishing the pulley faces, no slippage. Those faces are already smooth and the belt is pinched between them pretty tight. The smoothness of the faces just enhances the smoothness of the "gear" transitions in the CVT.
I attached a screen shot that shows the intervals where I have done service and/or mods. Oil change pretty much every 2K and sometimes I even skipped the filter change to save a few bucks.
What a wealth of info.
Have you shared this with Genuine?
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

monamibuddy wrote:
What a wealth of info.
Have you shared this with Genuine?
No. But I would. And I would donate my scooter to them if they wanna do something similar like they did for Bonegirl :wink: .
Tristik

Post by Tristik »

TVB wrote:
monamibuddy wrote:Sadly, my riding season is coming to a close.
I figure we have another 3-4 months before riding season's over in the Great Lakes region. :)
~~
You never know around here man. The snow could stay away until January, or it could start at Halloween. You just never know!
~~
DevoManchild

Post by DevoManchild »

Just rolled over my first 1000 this morning. I've got some catching up to do.
bgwss

Post by bgwss »

So how did you know to replace the bearing on the clutch and back wheel? I have over 16,500 and have not replaced those two items. :?:
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

bgwss wrote:So how did you know to replace the bearing on the clutch and back wheel? I have over 16,500 and have not replaced those two items. :?:
bgwss,
There was a high-pitched whining sound coming from the rear area of the scooter. You shouldn't need to do anything with bearings unless there is a problem. I just had a run of bad luck regarding bearings. Only a few of us on MB have reported the issue.
Here's some info from the second bearing replacement.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

DevoManchild wrote:Just rolled over my first 1000 this morning. I've got some catching up to do.
but with ambitions of trips like the BRP you're talking of, it should be no problem for you to see high mileage in short time.

As for Neotrotsky.... dude, you are racking some serious miles quickly! I remember you just starting out on modern buddy.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Big Congratulations! I just clipped 24.5k but I'm not quite there yet. I'll just have to keep working on it! :wink:
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).