For those with high mileage: Keys to longevity?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

High mileage survey

Bone Stock, professionally maintained
38%
Modded and professionally maintained
8%
Bone Stock, self maintained
15%
Modded and self maintained
38%

Total votes: 13

PIStaker

For those with high mileage: Keys to longevity?

Post by PIStaker »

For those with high mileage: In your opinion, what are some of your keys to longevity?
For example: intervals between oil changes, rollers, clutch replacements, spark plugs etc.
Along the way, have there been any major overhauls, or component replacements?

Are you running bone stock? Or have you made any mods?
I'm heavily modded, so I not fooling myself into thinking I will reach as many miles with my set up.
But I hope to.
How many of you maintain your scoots yourself, and who rely solely on your local shop?
Sorry for the interogation, but much appreciated.
Mike
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Just break it in properly and follow the manufacturers recommended maintenance schedule. I certainly have been anything but gentle with my scooter. In my experience, your scooter can either become a couch potato or a thoroughbred. It's all a matter of how you ride it and maintain it. Mine gets sluggish if I don't take it out for a good long aggressive ride on a regular basis.

FYI, my scooter has been stock, then modded, and now is stock again (but I will be replacing my mods as soon as my present rollers wear out). NoHo Scooters has done most of the maintenance work but now I do some of it myself.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
TVB

Post by TVB »

Wait... you're supposed to do something to make these things go for a long distance? :)

I really haven't done much. I've left it stock (or rather, returned it to that condition, by derestricting it), brought it in to the shop for a look-over by a mechanic once a year, and changed the odd part when it needed replacing (e.g. tires, brake pads, spark plug, air filter). I don't ride it like a lunatic, but I'm far from a fair-weather weekend rider; I've certainly ridden it hard and put it away wet* on occasion. Over 17K so far.....

*Get your mind out of the gutter; it's equestrian jargon. :)
BoneGirl

Maintenance

Post by BoneGirl »

I just turned 33K in 2 years, 6 months, 26 days. Second Buddy and it's going strong. Break it in as directed and do regular maintenance. Keep a journal of everything you do on your scooter from when you changed your tires (and what brand of tires you used), what oil you used and mileage at that point, same with belts, rollers, etc. Be aware of changes in sounds, vibrations, etc. that could signify clutch, variator, gearing problems.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

25k, still mostly stock. I replaced the stator twice, several tires, a couple spark plugs, regular oil changes, 13g Dr pully sliders, and recently put in an NCY racing clutch. As for maintenance, I'm 50/50. I did the shop maintenance until the warranty ran out, then most of the easy stuff I do on my own. It's been a workhorse, but for the most part has been incredible!