What do you love about your Buddy or other scoot?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Drum Pro

What do you love about your Buddy or other scoot?

Post by Drum Pro »

What I love about my Buddy is that everything except the ecu is bang easy to wrench. No special tools, no disassembling practically everything to get to do the basic maintance. Now your go....
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

So easy to add options on to. So far I've added front and rear racks, cowls, windshield, under seat release, BOB adapter, LED lights for the deadlights, Back-off brakelight modulator, Gorilla alarm, heated grips, and Ram mount. :D
skully93

Post by skully93 »

What I love about my Buddy:

It's fast for such a small displacement machine.

Looks good, performs well, takes abuse, easy to maintain and get parts/accessories for 99% of the time!

My Kymco:

Workhorse. even though it's new to me it has a good amount of miles on it, yet it performs well. I see it lasting a long time with maintenance, may replace some of the stock parts with aftermarket ones when the time comes.
TVB

Re: What do you love about your Buddy or other scoot?

Post by TVB »

Drum Pro wrote:What I love about my Buddy is that everything except the ecu is bang easy to wrench. No special tools, no disassembling practically everything to get to do the basic maintance. Now your go....
I love the fact that I almost never have to deal with that stuff. :)
pinthea

Post by pinthea »

I love that per Fuelly and my fill-up data, I'm getting over 90 mpg.

Now, that might be inflated due to the Buddy odometer potentially being optimistic due to the speedometer being optimistic, but even accounting for this optimistic error, it's still gotta be in the 80 MPG range.
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

I love my Honda Big Ruckus for being a solid dependable bike that will take me anywhere I want to go in comfort with a minimum of fuss.

I love my Genuine Atomic Fireball edition Stella for being fast and loud.

I love my Genuine 4T Stella for starting on the first kick every time and for being quiet.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Economy/performance (value?)
30,000 miles and still getting 80 mpg and still able to get the speedo over 70 bmph.

Underseat storage
I was riding home in hot weather one day with my jacket stowed under the seat. It started raining while I was at a stop light and I just threw out the kickstand, popped the seat and had my jacket on before the light turned green. Whenever I think about getting a motorcycle, I remember times like that.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I no longer own a Buddy but I'll still chime in:

Buddys are fun as hell to ride. There are all sorts of practical reasons to love them. There are aesthetic reasons. But for me, all that reliability, practicality and so on just buoys the enjoyment of riding one.

Since I no longer own one, I'm reminded of this every time I get to ride a Buddy. Even when we were selling our 125, when I was riding it to let people test it and to met the eventual seller, I was struck but just what a joy it is. It's the soul of the machine, as they say, a combination of all the specs and physical features and everything else.

What I love about my Stella:
It's got personality. It's not necessarily the super-nice, friendly guy at the party who introduces himself to everyone and is immediately popular. It's more like… uh… me. This is probably transference, anthropomorphism, whatever…

What I love about my LX:
Well, you never forget your first, as the Subaru commercial says. Also, I've invested a lot into it. We've had adventures. And it's fast.

What I love about my PX125:
IMHO, there's no point in dressing a P-series up like some prissy, pretty little thing. It's a fireplug. Vespa's most utilitarian design. So the PX, aka "Dave," is rusty, beat to hell and barely runs (right now). When I get it running well, I will probably leave it looking rusty and beat to hell. It's a stray dog that's one eye blind, has a chunk out of an ear from a fight and walks with a limp. It's Mad Max at the end of Thunderdome.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

I'll play,

I'm fond of my 1987 Honda Spree......a 2t 50 designed to be pounded on and then thrown away....so small that when my 180 lbs. are aboard it looks like I have wheels attached to, uh, me.
This is my primary drag strip pit bike.....weighs about a hundred pounds wet and tops at 32 MPH. WAAAAY to fast for the chassis and the 2.50X8? tires.
Has a fixed oil injection system, rpm dependent......smokes like a steel factory.

I'm fond of my Zuma.....a 2003 2t 50.
This is before they were restricted and I find it shockingly rapid for its displacement....can't believe how well it hauls me and my lady around for around town duty.
Solid, but devoid of personality.....it serves its purpose well.

I'm fond of my 09 Stella......I am a retired wrench and my desire to tinker is well recieved by it.
Adjust this a bit, tighten that a touch, experiment with different lubricants looking for that almost perfect shift knowing the design of the gearbox will never allow such a thing.
A bit of re-engineering to prevent a problem that has been discussed on this forum (Thanks everybody!)
It successfully takes me back to a, believe it or not, simpler time.....man and machine thing if you were born well before Kennedy became president.

I have two 'almost' scooters.....a 1976 Honda Trail 90 (high/low trans) and a Honda CT-70, 1993.....street legal mini-bike.......I'm fond of those too.....just cause I think they're cool.

Rob
vantage

Post by vantage »

I have a Stella 4T

I like : the sound it makes

The simplicity of the design
The simplicity of the mechanics
That I can get almost any part online.
That I can work on it myself
It will get great gas milage if I ever have to fill it up. LOL
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

You all have too many bikes. I am having bike envy.

I loved Italia the 1st time I saw it. It is a pretty bike. Even my mom who hated the whole idea of me riding admitted the bike was really attractive when it first came off the truck and she saw it.
Since I got a 150 cc from the start I appreciated how fast it was as soon as I started riding. In traffic it is absolutely great. It is also very comfortable when cruising side roads.
A big part of the reason I love owning my Italia: any time I have a question someone always has an answer or suggestion here.
I would eventually get a maxi scooter strictly for bring able to ride interstate long distances. Not so sure I would give up my Itallia since most of my riding happens locally and I need smaller bike's lightness and maneuverabity.
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

Robbie wrote:I'll play,

I'm fond of my 1987 Honda Spree......a 2t 50 designed to be pounded on and then thrown away....so small that when my 180 lbs. are aboard it looks like I have wheels attached to, uh, me.
This is my primary drag strip pit bike.....weighs about a hundred pounds wet and tops at 32 MPH. WAAAAY to fast for the chassis and the 2.50X8? tires.
Has a fixed oil injection system, rpm dependent......smokes like a steel factory.
Spree's kick ass. Those crazy little singlespeeds.

I've got an Aero 50 I'm working on slowly, It's not much bigger but it's Variated! Also has not one but two gloveboxes on it, Totally awesome.

Yaknow, This thread made me think, I have yet to own a bike with a pet carrier, All my bikes have fuel tanks and engines under the seat instead.
PIStaker

Post by PIStaker »

ericalm wrote:It's a stray dog that's one eye blind, has a chunk out of an ear from a fight and walks with a limp..
...named "Lucky"
TVB

Post by TVB »

Tocsik wrote:Underseat storage
I was riding home in hot weather one day with my jacket stowed under the seat. It started raining while I was at a stop light and I just threw out the kickstand, popped the seat and had my jacket on before the light turned green. Whenever I think about getting a motorcycle, I remember times like that.
I had an incident like that. A friend and I were chatting in the parking lot after dinner before I started a fairly long ride home, when it started to rain. I opened the seat, took out my rain gear, and resumed talking as I put it on. He was impressed with my "post-apocalyptic self-sufficiency".
amy

Post by amy »

I love my white sidewalls.

I love hearing old southern men say, "Yewv gawt niiice whaate sahdwhalls on that thar thang!"

I attached a child's bicycle squeaky horn to the mirror, and I love squeaking at at people.

I love seeing people smile about scooters.

Plus, I love all the technical stuff everyone else wrote.