My scooter's been physically moved twice in two weeks.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jerome

Post by jerome »

Three total since April.

I live in a pretty busy part of Chicago. I posted back in April that somebody moved my scooter into a no parking tow zone so they could fit their car in.

Two weeks ago my scooter was moved again - this time into a pay meter parking spot (apparently so a car could get out) with a "you're lucky i didn't knock it over" note attached to it.

Today I come home from being out of town on business for four days and find my scooter completely moved to the opposite side of the street taking up a big parking spot.

I have a feeling there's only one person who's physically moving it and has something against my scooter.

First of all, I don't park it illegally. I give myself enough space between two cars when I park it perpendicular - which is also the legal way to park a scooter. I can't help if a car behind or in front parks their car too close to my scooter that it might make it difficult for someone to get out. You live in the city. You should learn how to park in and out of parallel spots.

I ride an Elite 80. It doesn't have disc brakes so I can't attach an alarm to it. I need to find a way for whomever is moving my scooter to stop moving it. I'm afraid of getting into a confrontation - I know I've done nothing wrong but I don't deserve to have my property being messed with.

Please help! Any ideas or advice is greatly appreciated.
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Chain alarm? CIA serveillance like with hidden cameras? Then you'll have the proof who's doing it for the police.
jerome

Post by jerome »

Do they really make chain alarms? It's just a bummer that someone can easily mess with someone else's private property like that. Makes me hesitate to get a new Buddy
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

I'd put an alarm on the bike.

A Gorilla Motorcycle Alarm 7007 would be easy to install under the seat in the little bowl ahead of the battery, Just connect the two wires to the battery and it'll alarm if they try and move the bike.

There are cheaper alarms out there like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Racing-Motorcycle ... ycle+alarm

If you don't want to pay for the Gorilla.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

If it was possible, I'd set up a webcam/cheap wireless camera to SEE who's moving the scooter. Then, with that information a WORLD of possibilities opens up...
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
double-o-soul

Post by double-o-soul »

personally I never park on the street. I lock onto a structural element, and throw my license plate in my glovebox if it's in parking authority areas. I'm also on a stella so I don't have a visible VIN, sorry for you buddy guys :-/

is this something you can do?
TVB

Re: My scooter's been physically moved twice in two weeks.

Post by TVB »

If it's just one person doing it, you could try leaving a non-confrontational note on it explaining that you're trying to park it conscientiously (and doing so legally) and asking them to please leave it alone. There are a lot of people out there who have bizarre notions about scooters (e.g. they aren't allowed to take a parking space), so it wouldn't be surprising if one of them has taken it upon themselves to passive-aggressively "correct" you.
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

If your only option is to park it on the street, I'd say +1 for the Gorilla alarm (but if you leave it sit for several days, it does put a small drain on your battery...).

You might also consider something like this to use along with the alarm.
amy

Post by amy »

I'd contact the local beat cop and ask her/him for advice.

Also, let them know someone is doing this and ask what kind of charges the perp would incur if they were caught.

Then post this info on car windshields... that would get your neighbors involved too.

Then, major surveillance spy action!
mhardgrove

Post by mhardgrove »

Have a disk lock? If not get a cheap one from Amazon. It will make it harder to move.
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

mhardgrove wrote:Have a disk lock? If not get a cheap one from Amazon. It will make it harder to move.
To quote the original poster:

'I ride an Elite 80. It doesn't have disc brakes so I can't attach an alarm to it.'

'
PIStaker

Post by PIStaker »

amy wrote:I'd contact the local beat cop and ask her/him for advice.

Also, let them know someone is doing this and ask what kind of charges the perp would incur if they were caught.

Then post this info on car windshields... that would get your neighbors involved too.

Then, major surveillance spy action!
Amy, in Chicago, you'd most likely be laughed at in your face by the cops here. CPD equals D-bags, more often than not, unfortunatly.
PIStaker

Post by PIStaker »

Jerome, what neighborhood do you live in?
avonpirate

Post by avonpirate »

do they move it even when the streering is locked???? This is a total bummer for you, I know this because of how I felt when my scoot was moved and dumped . :roll: But because I work at an elite club, geographically removed I didn't lock the steering column and valet couldn't keep their hands off it. :cry:
She with the most 'used' toys wins.

david12df

Post by david12df »

you need about 20 bikes parked on your street for a couple days
post address I don't care if I live 10 miles away
CROSSBOLT

Post by CROSSBOLT »

There IS a way.....one of those cameras the deer hunters use that work on a motion detector basis. The camera pen advertised on RFD-TV will run for 4 hours..... a fence charger for livestock hooked to the scooter........give up a day or a night and stake out yer scoot.......one rider volunteered to help with parking a bunch of scoots to see what your tormenter does. Maybe some of the Chicago riders would help stake out your machine so none of you would miss much work or sleep.......Try one or more of these "bright ideas" and call me in the morning! What you are going through SUX!

Karl
spr0k3t

Post by spr0k3t »

What I would do is throw a few wheel locks on the scooter. Get yourself a good alarm. After that, post a note the vehicle is under surveillance and violators of private property will be prosecuted to the furthest extent of the law (which could mean nothing, but they don't need to know that). Also, if you know some of your neighbors, ask around if they have seen anyone messing with your scooter. I'm sure with a little bit of leverage, the word will get back to you who is doing it. Once you find out, and confront them... it should stop, unless the person is a bit of a douche... and there's ways to fix that.