Bonneville Blackjack

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Jaylinb

Bonneville Blackjack

Post by Jaylinb »

Well, just returned from Bonneville with my Blackjack and I took an AMA land speed record! It was an open class and I set the inaugural record at 42.1565.
It wasn't the best speed - the engine was having issues with several stock parts they required I put back on, namely the stock intake and exhaust. Combined with the 30mm carb and fuel pump, the poor thing was severely flooded and sputtered all the way down the track. But we did it nonetheless :D
To my knowledge this is the first scooter that has set an AMA speed record. I'm still awaiting the official ratification, but We did it!

Blackjack Maverick: World Land Speed Record Holder.
Attachments
Flat Out...
Flat Out...
photo 2-web.jpg (32.99 KiB) Viewed 1788 times
Geared up!
Geared up!
photo 1-web.jpg (54.93 KiB) Viewed 1788 times
- If we never do what we've never done, we'll never have what we never did. Do something new!
theflash784

Bonneville Blackjack

Post by theflash784 »

Totally Awesome!
kenbike

Post by kenbike »

Very cool! Next install a turbo and break 70 mph!
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Congratulations!
neotrotsky

Re: Bonneville Blackjack

Post by neotrotsky »

Jaylinb wrote:Well, just returned from Bonneville with my Blackjack and I took an AMA land speed record! It was an open class and I set the inaugural record at 42.1565.
It wasn't the best speed - the engine was having issues with several stock parts they required I put back on, namely the stock intake and exhaust. Combined with the 30mm carb and fuel pump, the poor thing was severely flooded and sputtered all the way down the track. But we did it nonetheless :D
To my knowledge this is the first scooter that has set an AMA speed record. I'm still awaiting the official ratification, but We did it!

Blackjack Maverick: World Land Speed Record Holder.
It only did 42mph on the Blackjack?!?! Damn, sorry to hear you were plagued with engine trouble. At least you know the cause and you got the record!!!

Congrats. Hopefully next year will be the perfect run!

(And honestly, don't mean for it to come out as critical... I think it's awesome! I just know how disappointing a planned project can be when gremlins get in the works)
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
Jaylinb

Post by Jaylinb »

Oh, out there engine problems are the order of the day - I was easily doing high 60's out there with the ram air and straight pipe, but when I switched to the AMA class from the Run-Whatcha-Brung on Tuesday, they made me put the stock intake and exhaust back on the bike, plus a host of safety additions I had to fabricate on the Salt. It took me two days to get Maverick past tech inspection before we could run.
Coupled with the 30mm carburetor, fuel pump and 4-valve head, the poor engine was drowning in fuel and fouled every spark plug. Even with the smallest jet (which I had to switch out at the starting line) it was sputtering. But I had no time to go back and find another carb. So I ran like it was.
I was luckier than most. Several people blew their engines the first or second day; we had 3 crashes, one where they airlifted the rider to Salt Lake; and one poor guy who was in front of me at the line who could not get his 2-cycle Yamaha started. The official told me he had been to the starting gate 15 times that week and had not gone down the track. I thought he would pick it up and throw that bike.
Bonneville breaks people - I've heard of men crying after a week of wrenching on their bike.
But I will be returning next year!
- If we never do what we've never done, we'll never have what we never did. Do something new!
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

woo-hoo perseverance and dedication paid off :clap:
Riding is riding
skully93

Post by skully93 »

sweet!
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

How totally awesome! Going to Bonneville is way near the top of by bucket list. Hope you had the time of your life!

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:Going to Bonneville is way near the top of by bucket list.
Me, too! I read somewhere that, if you have 5 of the same bike, you can establish your own class. Wonder if we could scare up 5 Buddys and have our own Buddy LSR class? I'm not sure what class jaylinb ran in. Apparently, it takes a while for the AMA folks to certify the results and post them.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Jaylinb wrote:...on Tuesday, they made me put the stock intake and exhaust back on the bike, plus a host of safety additions I had to fabricate on the Salt. It took me two days to get Maverick past tech inspection before we could run.
I wonder if you would mind sharing what safety additions you had to make so folks who want to do this next year can get started figuring out what to do. Thanks!

And again, kudos for persevering under what must have been very trying conditions. I listened to the replay of the live broadcast from the last day and the announcer clearly was impressed with your fortitude. :D
SYMbionic Duo

Post by SYMbionic Duo »

+1

Also, What 'stock' pipe did you have to put on? was it the prima pipe or the buddy 125 pipe?

-duo
Nothing is Foolproof to a sufficiently talented Fool.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

jrsjr wrote:
Skootz Kabootz wrote:Going to Bonneville is way near the top of by bucket list.
Me, too! I read somewhere that, if you have 5 of the same bike, you can establish your own class. Wonder if we could scare up 5 Buddys and have our own Buddy LSR class? I'm not sure what class jaylinb ran in. Apparently, it takes a while for the AMA folks to certify the results and post them.
You know I'm in! It's the ways and means I'll have to work on :P

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Jaylinb

Post by Jaylinb »

SYMbionic Duo wrote:+1

Also, What 'stock' pipe did you have to put on? was it the prima pipe or the buddy 125 pipe?

-duo
Sorry for the very late reply! I had not checked the forums in a long time. Yes, I had to put the Prima pipe back on. Made it harder since I didn't have it there and had to ship one overnight.
Plus adding a steering dampener, fire sleeves on the fuel lunes and safety wiring to axle nuts, drain plugs etc.
The full rules can be found at: www.speedtrialsbybub.com
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Hey, thought you might enjoy this.
Be sure to use the mouse wheel to zoom in and out.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
koyla87

Post by koyla87 »

That's Awseome Jaylin, Congrats!
Makes me feel better about my blacked out, pimped out, '09 BlackJack!

You're Badass Jaylin!
I wish there were more ladies out there that dedicated :)
Last edited by koyla87 on Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.