Rough when decelerating... or my imagination

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ed85379

Rough when decelerating... or my imagination

Post by ed85379 »

For the last few rides, my Blackjack has felt like something is a bit... rough... when decelerating. But then again, sometimes I get paranoid that something is going to go wrong with my scooter, and I could just be imagining it.

Could this be something real? 3356 miles on it now, so it couldn't really be the rollers already, could it? I have been riding the highway a lot recently, so WOT for several miles at a time, if that could be putting extra wear on the engine.
PIStaker

Post by PIStaker »

Can you elaborate? Idling rough? Sputtering? Clutch not releasing?
There could be a host of things happening. Not all of them awful, but more info would be helpful.
What's your DIY comfort level?
ed85379

Post by ed85379 »

monamibuddy wrote:Can you elaborate? Idling rough? Sputtering? Clutch not releasing?
There could be a host of things happening. Not all of them awful, but more info would be helpful.
What's your DIY comfort level?
Nothing to elaborate on. It just feels "rough" when the bike is decelerating, when I let off the throttle. Nothing else to say. Like I said, it could be my imagination, but it just feels a bit different.

I have no comfort level, or tools, for working with the actual mechanics.
Tristik

Post by Tristik »

~~
Rough is pretty vague, I think the guys are gonna need a bit more description than that. For Example: My Blur is pretty pretty rough when decelerating, and by that I mean it feels like the bike is using the brakes when I close the throttle without me using the brakes (known as engine braking I'd think?). When I'm almost stopped, the CVT finally releases and the bike coasts.

Does your bike sputter like the engine is struggling to run when you slow down? Does if feel like your wheels are rubbing against the brakes? Any little thing you can add would help. Just saying 'rough' isn't enough to go on.
~~
ed85379

Post by ed85379 »

Tristik wrote:~~
Rough is pretty vague, I think the guys are gonna need a bit more description than that. For Example: My Blur is pretty pretty rough when decelerating, and by that I mean it feels like the bike is using the brakes when I close the throttle without me using the brakes (known as engine braking I'd think?). When I'm almost stopped, the CVT finally releases and the bike coasts.

Does your bike sputter like the engine is struggling to run when you slow down? Does if feel like your wheels are rubbing against the brakes? Any little thing you can add would help. Just saying 'rough' isn't enough to go on.
~~
I have been riding for 3 years. I am familiar with engine braking, or whatever it is. And it doesn't feel like brakes.

It just *feels* rough. Not smooth. Nothing is sputtering. The engine is running perfectly fine as far as I can tell. Like something is rubbing roughly on something else... *sigh* I don't know how else to describe it.
TomCat

Post by TomCat »

it could be my imagination
You may have just answered your own question.
Other ride--- Lifted '08 Suzuki SX4 AWD

"Quotes on the Internet cannot always be considered as factual" ------- Abraham Lincoln
z20k

Post by z20k »

ed85379 wrote:
Tristik wrote:~~

~~
I have been riding for 3 years. I am familiar with engine braking, or whatever it is. And it doesn't feel like brakes.

It just *feels* rough. Not smooth. Nothing is sputtering. The engine is running perfectly fine as far as I can tell. Like something is rubbing roughly on something else... *sigh* I don't know how else to describe it.
Is the word you're looking for resistance? If so, I know what you're talking about and I honestly think it's just the tires coasting and the scooter slowing down which causes that feeling.
Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
PIStaker

Post by PIStaker »

TomCat wrote:
It is possible that it's his imagination.
However, I'm a firm believer that once you've, ...for lack of a better expression, "become one with your Buddy", you know how it’s supposed to feel.
Therefore, any deviation from that, seems out of place. …which is to say: if you think it’s decelerating roughly, than it’s probably decelerating roughly.
But without any further description, I’m at a loss to figure out what it could be.

Ed,
I’d have it checked out if it gets any worse, or describe it better so we can throw some suggestions your way.
Sorry.
ed85379

Post by ed85379 »

monamibuddy wrote:
TomCat wrote:
However, I'm a firm believer that once you've, ...for lack of a better expression, "become one with your Buddy", you know how it’s supposed to feel.
Therefore, any deviation from that, seems out of place. …which is to say: if you think it’s decelerating roughly, than it’s probably decelerating roughly.
But without any further description, I’m at a loss to figure out what it could be.

Ed,
I’d have it checked out if it gets any worse, or describe it better so we can throw some suggestions your way.
Sorry.
Yeah, I am thinking it will have to be ridden by someone to know what I'm talking about. Then again, it is so subtle... I am not thinking the guys at my dealer will even be able to feel it.

Just earlier tonight I noticed a little jerkiness with just a tiny bit of throttle, pulling into a parking spot, while holding another 105 pounds of a passenger... But that could be the temperature change choke thing that my dealer suggested when I mentioned it to the scooter guys when I noticed something similar early spring, which went away.
PIStaker

Post by PIStaker »

ed85379 wrote:
monamibuddy wrote:
TomCat wrote: You may have just answered your own question.

Ed,
Sorry.
Yeah, I am thinking it will have to be ridden by someone to know what I'm talking about. Then again, it is so subtle... I am not thinking the guys at my dealer will even be able to feel it.

Just earlier tonight I noticed a little jerkiness with just a tiny bit of throttle, pulling into a parking spot, while holding another 105 pounds of a passenger... But that could be the temperature change choke thing that my dealer suggested when I mentioned it to the scooter guys when I noticed something similar early spring, which went away.
You bring up an excellent point that I didn't think about: I had to dial in my idle last night due to the change in the weather.
You might have an answer there.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

It could be the rollers or dust in the clutch.

Or… something else. Air system, fuel…
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
PIStaker

Post by PIStaker »

ericalm wrote:It could be the rollers or dust in the clutch.

Or… something else. Air system, fuel…
+1 on the rollers and clutch.
That's why I asked about the comfort level of getting his hands on the engine a bit.
There are ( 8 ) 8mm bolts that hold that CVT/Trans cover on. Was thinking it could use a blast of air to get the dust out of there.
You could possibly fudge it by sticking their hose nozzle through the vent in the back of the Trans case, but you'd achieve far less greater result.
But if Ed isn't comfortable, and doesn't have the tools, as he indicated, then you're at the mercy of the mechanics.
...it's good for everyone to have that relationship with their dealer/shop anyway though.
Provided they are reputable.

OK, that's all I got on the subject.
Good luck!!