Prima exhaust upgrade and air intake??

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

toot

Prima exhaust upgrade and air intake??

Post by toot »

Hi, I am new here and have read many posts about adding a Prima exhaust and re jetting with the kit from Scooterworks.... but what about intake air filter upgrade??? Do you need it, and where do you get it.... I have a 2009 (NEW) Buddy 125. I was thinking about adding an exhaust in my first Dealer visit in Dec. Thank you, Terri :shock: :?: :?
PIStaker

Re: Prima exhaust upgrade and air intake??

Post by PIStaker »

toot wrote:Hi, I am new here and have read many posts about adding a Prima exhaust and re jetting with the kit from Scooterworks.... but what about intake air filter upgrade??? Do you need it, and where do you get it.... I have a 2009 (NEW) Buddy 125. I was thinking about adding an exhaust in my first Dealer visit in Dec. Thank you, Terri :shock: :?: :?
Terri, for mine, I just just cut the intake tube at the base of the backside of the air box. I then used a 3 inch (or so) PVC pipe that fit inside the intake, and slapped my UNI filter directly to that.
You'll have to dial in the jets. It will vary depending on the exhaust you are using, the size of the carb, your altitude etc, etc.
dialing in the carb is some voodoo science that takes some plaint around with. Good luck and have fun with it. It's so worth it in the end.
I've had the big borek it on mine for 12k miles, and it's been nothing but fun.
ride safe,
Mike
toot

Air intake

Post by toot »

Thank you for the reply.. I will check out the uni filters online... Terri :lol: :D
toot

EPA California NO PRIMA EXHAUST???

Post by toot »

Talked to dealer about Prima Exhaust install so my warrantee would not be Voided, and was told he could not put one on because of Emission Standards for Ca.???!!!! Oh, Well :( :cry: :x :?: :?: :!: :!:
PIStaker

Post by PIStaker »

Toot,
Is this 2009 new to you, or New Old Stock from the dealer?
In short, are you the first owner? And is it still under warrantee? I don't think the warantee transfers.

Secondly, if it's out of warantee, it's 4 bolts, nothing to doing it yourself. No matter what your skill level. No special tools required.

Third, this may be a naive (clearly non Californian) question: what are the repercussions if you do put it on yourself and start rolling around town?

Is there a danger that someone would pull you over to inspect you? Are there mobile inspection stations?

Or is this strictly a warantee issue?
toot

Prima Exhaust and EPA Ca

Post by toot »

Thank you for you fast response.... My scooter is NEW OLD STOCK.. I have only 90 miles...He said he would not put one on, becasue of the reason I stated. I could call NOHO Scooters to see if that is true. I felt that he just has had a lot of problems with the exhaust when he has installed them.. He said he could not even get them with the rejettiing kit.. and has had problems with the stock set up and adding the exhaust...If I really pursued it I am sure I could find one and have it installed. But for now, I am going to wait a little while, and maybe my son and I can put on on in time. Take care, Terri