wife killed buddy?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

big77wick

wife killed buddy?

Post by big77wick »

So after an oil change, some how the oil filter managed to wiggle it's way loose and leak all the oil out. This happend while the wife was on her way home. She noticed it having a hard time running and then it stopped. She sees the oil and proceeds to try running it..... a few more miles!! Until if finally stops and second and third time and then she ends up pushing it a mile home. So needless to say, buddy got #*%@ up. I changed the oil and and it started right up... sounded a little off, not bad but not smooth like she was.

So she was understandably scared to drive it anymore and I figured it would likely be on it's way to wearing out the pistons pretty quick...

And now, after a lot of sitting and a few more trips it finally started pushing out white smoke from the exhaust.
Checked the spark plug and it is black and oily looking.

I assumed the rings/pistons are damaged and will need significant repair. I don't have any decent (if at all) scotter mechanics around town, only a one large motorcycle shop. Closest is raleigh, nc 90 miles away.

Any help or ideas for how I can repair this or find someone who can.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Do you mean Raleigh, NC? And 60 miles which way? I can't help, other than to sympathize, but without telling us where you are, it's really hard to help.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
big77wick

Post by big77wick »

in east greenville/wintervile, area. and it's 90 miles east from raleigh from where i'm at.
PIStaker

Post by PIStaker »

Sounds like oil is pushing up through the rings, to the cylinder head, which is fouling the plugs.
You'd have to pull it apart to see if the rings are intact, but then you also need to see what, if any damage was done to the cylinder.
Where are you located?

Silver lining: Sounds like a perfect excuse to kit it up and put in the big bore in.
big77wick

Post by big77wick »

I just want to get it running smoothly again.
avonpirate

Post by avonpirate »

the dreaded 'puff' of white smoke. :cry: Seen it on the race track, have experienced it myself. Your wife sounds awsome walkin the scoot a mile. :) Why would the oil filter come loose? Finger tightened or torque wrench???
She with the most 'used' toys wins.

big77wick

Post by big77wick »

I made darn sure it was really tight. But I've read that it is a not too uncommon problem. However most people know enough not to keep trying to drive it.
heatherkay

Post by heatherkay »

So wait a minute -- you changed the oil filter, the one that fell off, and you title this "wife killed buddy"? Sounds like you were at least an accessory.
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

heatherkay wrote:So wait a minute -- you changed the oil filter, the one that fell off, and you title this "wife killed buddy"? Sounds like you were at least an accessory.
+1
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

big77wick wrote:I made darn sure it was really tight. But I've read that it is a not too uncommon problem. However most people know enough not to keep trying to drive it.
As the others have noted, you're probably going to need a new top end.

A little free marital advice from someone who's going on 30 years of marriage... Playing the blame game is always a losing proposition. If you doubt me just ask yourself, what do you stand to gain by doing that? See what I mean? :wink:
Last edited by jrsjr on Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

jrsjr wrote:
big77wick wrote:I made darn sure it was really tight. But I've read that it is a not too uncommon problem. However most people know enough not to keep trying to drive it.
As the others have noted, you're probably going to need a new top end.

A little free marital advice from someone who's going on 30 years of marriage... Playing the blame game is always a losing proposition. If you doubt me just ask yourself, what do you stand to gain by doing that? See what I mean? :wink:
And people wonder why I wount work on their scooter for money! :mrgreen:
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

At the very least a new top end! Don't run or start this scooter anymore; all you'll get out of it is more potential damage.

Buddy oil filters need to be torqued to 12ft. lbs. This information is little use to the OP, but for everyone else: TORQUE. This is why.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
big77wick

Post by big77wick »

WTF?!?! really I'm not mad or upset or even trying to put blame on my wife. It happend. oh well. It sucks but that's just how it is. THe filter fell came loose, she saw this and that there was not oil left and continued to run it, which could have been avoided, and that's why the Buddy is running poorly, which is the information I was trying to convey. I'm not on here for advice on my marriage, which is great. I was hoping to find some suggestions for what to do with the Buddy. THe title was merely for background information, so that I didn't get stupid comments about why I shouldn't run it without oil. But I guess I'm doomed to get stupid comments about my marriage which is COMPLETELY UNRELATED.

SO once again. Any suggestions about the Buddy and not my marriage?!
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

On a lighter note, new top end? Seems like a great opportunity for a 161cc or other upgrade! Lemons > Lemonade.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
2wheelNsanity

Post by 2wheelNsanity »

Its all good, and yes we should concentrate on the solution to the problem and not necessarilly the cause. With that said, I think taking it to a qualified mechanic is the best solution. Good luck and all the best :D
thatvwbusguy

Post by thatvwbusguy »

You already got an answer about what your Buddy needs. You will need to disassemble the engine and inspect / replace most of your top end at the very least. New piston, rings, cylinder and more than likely a new cylinder head if it got really hot.

You can replace all of these parts with stock, or go up to a Big Bore Kit (BBK) without spending much more money.

There are tons of books available on rebuilding small engines. With no local scooter mechanics, a book might at least help to guide you thru the inspection process to determine what needs to be replaced.

New complete engines are also available, but probably not necessary unless this is the only thing that will once again make you feel that your scooter will be a trustworthy mode of transportation.
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.

Jay Brown
Newmarket, NH

Scooter Accessories:
https://sites.google.com/site/vanagonhe ... oter-stuff
Syd

Post by Syd »

I read the thread title as at least partly in jest, and read most of the responses the same.

Relax and stay awhile, we're all friends here (not to mention the best source of information you can find about your scoot).
big77wick

Post by big77wick »

Thanks I appreciate the feedback. I actually was able to find a local mechanic that has been working on motorcycles, atvs and scooters for 17 years. I know he's not a certified Genuine scooter guy but it seems that he should be able to handle the job given his references for motorcycles. I hope this isn't an over-simplification, since I'm sure the Buddy is not the same as other motorcycles. Thoughts?

Also, what's the benefit to a BIg Bore kit? and where should I get my parts from?

Thanks again for the advice!
Syd

Post by Syd »

big77wick wrote:Thanks I appreciate the feedback. I actually was able to find a local mechanic that has been working on motorcycles, atvs and scooters for 17 years. I know he's not a certified Genuine scooter guy but it seems that he should be able to handle the job given his references for motorcycles. I hope this isn't an over-simplification, since I'm sure the Buddy is not the same as other motorcycles. Thoughts?

Also, what's the benefit to a BIg Bore kit? and where should I get my parts from?

Thanks again for the advice!
The Buddy isn't the same but it's much like many others. If he wants or needs a Service Manual, you can get one here. As for the Big Bore Kit, it will get you from A to top speed faster.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Syd wrote: As for the Big Bore Kit, it will get you from A to top speed faster.
At the cost of reduced reliability and probable reduced engine life. (wringing more performance out of a scooter engine usually comes at a cost - just about everything in life is a tradeoff, and a personal choice :wink: )
Syd

Post by Syd »

Dooglas wrote:
Syd wrote: As for the Big Bore Kit, it will get you from A to top speed faster.
At the cost of reduced reliability and probable reduced engine life. (wringing more performance out of a scooter engine usually comes at a cost - just about everything in life is a tradeoff, and a personal choice :wink: )
That too, I just didn't want to perpetuate the bigger cc = (much) higher mph myth.
big77wick

Post by big77wick »

awesome feeback guys thanks! I (my wife) will likely prefer to just get the top end fixed and get Buddy back to being reliable and fuel efficient so we don't trade engine life for accelertion! Any other ideas as to where to get the parts necessary?
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

big77wick wrote:Thanks I appreciate the feedback. I actually was able to find a local mechanic that has been working on motorcycles, atvs and scooters for 17 years. I know he's not a certified Genuine scooter guy but it seems that he should be able to handle the job given his references for motorcycles. I hope this isn't an over-simplification, since I'm sure the Buddy is not the same as other motorcycles. Thoughts?
A top end swap is pretty basic for an experienced mechanic. The main thing is to make sure the piston is facing the correct direction.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Syd

Post by Syd »

BuddyRaton wrote:
A top end swap is pretty basic for an experienced mechanic. The main thing is to make sure the piston is facing the correct direction.
You mean up? :lol:
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

monamibuddy wrote:Sounds like oil is pushing up through the rings, to the cylinder head, which is fouling the plugs.
You'd have to pull it apart to see if the rings are intact, but then you also need to see what, if any damage was done to the cylinder.
Where are you located?

Silver lining: Sounds like a perfect excuse to kit it up and put in the big bore in.
Did that, got the T-shirt. It's not terribly hard, but give how much damage she did by continuing to run it, I'd bet there bottom end damage to the crank.

Change the oil again and check for metal bits.

What's it sound like? A light metal pinging? That'd be wrist pin damage, easy to fix with a top end change.