Genuine Cruiser?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Does the cowls look a little smaller to anyone else? Or is it me? Still a sweet looking scoot tho...
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Drum Pro wrote:Does the cowls look a little smaller to anyone else? Or is it me? Still a sweet looking scoot tho...
It may be the body cutouts. I hope they're the same size. I'd snag a set to slip on a 2T. Extra engine cooling wouldn't hurt, especially in a tuned bike.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

As I recall, when Genuine first started floating trial balloons re the Genuine Classic Cruiser, it was going to be a 275-300cc 4-speed, echoing the lines of the German classics such as the Zündapp Bella or Maicoletta. It would not be anything like today's 2-wheeled Buicks, such as the Burgman or Silverwing. Until someone can come up with something highway-capable that doesn't weigh 500 lbs and look like the Hindenburg, I'll stick with my Vespa GTS 250 (or I'll start with an opposed-twin engine and build the damn thing myself!).
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

PeterC wrote:I'll start with an opposed-twin engine and build the damn thing myself!).
Well, okay! I want one!!!
Attachments
Honda Juno M85 (Small).jpg
Honda Juno M85 (Small).jpg (45.5 KiB) Viewed 1798 times
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Junos are sweet!

What engine do you have in mind?
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Christophers

Post by Christophers »

az_slynch wrote:Junos are sweet!
That is a sweet ride. I think you've just convinced me I want a cruiser.
I especially like the simplicity and efficiency of an aircooled opposed twin combined with the versatility of a classic walk-through scooter frame.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

I hadn't been aware that the Honda Juno had an opposed twin engine. Some time ago, I found some information on the Velocette Viceroy scooter, about 1960, which had a front-mounted 250cc opposed-twin, air-cooled 2-stroke engine and shaft drive. I've also seen some larger versions of this type of engine that were made for target drone aircraft. The engines are out there; it's just a matter of fabricating a tube frame and a fiberglass (probably) body. It won't be inexpensive, but it's certainly more fun than golf!
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

This one's a bit small at only 100cc and it's a 2T, but it's rated for 10.5hp!

More info here.

Imagine if someone build a scaled down version of the old Panhard 4.0L opposed twin. That would be impressive. :D

EDIT: This one is pretty good too. 111cc, 11.2hp. It's $499.

EDIT #2: Even bigger, with 120cc of displacement and 12.5hp. That's definitely scooter-scale. $530.40 plus shipping, I presume.

Last edited by az_slynch on Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PeterC

Post by PeterC »

az_slynch wrote:This one's a bit small at only 100cc and it's a 2T, but it's rated for 10.5hp!

More info here.

Imagine if someone build a scaled down version of the old Panhard 4.0L opposed twin. That would be impressive. :D
Under 6 lbs. and priced at $459...now that's worth looking into!
viney266

Post by viney266 »

As I said in another thread. I LOVE my "shifty", but I believe that would sell quite well here in the U.S.... Many new riders love the look of the Stella, but shy away from having to shift... It is a TIGHT package (mechanics eyes), but they made it work.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Beautiful motors. That's the front half, now finding a transmission for the back half should be a challenge.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

PeteH wrote:Beautiful motors. That's the front half, now finding a transmission for the back half should be a challenge.
I'm thinking go-kart gearbox and a shaft drive to the rear.

Or, custom gearbox housing, and use the transmission internals (gears/intermediate shaft/output shaft/shift stirrup) from a smallframe Vespa. The output shaft could be flipped around and it should still work fine.

The clutch would be tricky and a engine/trans coupling would need to be fabricated.

Tipper

Post by Tipper »

It lives !

http://youtu.be/1qfTF_Ie0eU

I just found this on the EICMA webpage (thanks google translate........ I think)

'Classical hyper, hyper economic maintenance and able to travel up to 60 kilometers on a liter of petrol. The commercial success of LML is also passed by these characteristics. A success that now the Indian House aims to increase with the arrival of the automatic version. The new LML Star 125 is still super classic in appearance but, under her dress sheet, are now today another revolutionary innovation: the drive automatically. The LML Star 125 Automatic with four-stroke engine already available on the market. Among the new features there's also the rear brake, which is operated by foot pedal and no longer through the left lever to the handlebar.
The price of the LML Star 125 cc 4-stroke Automatic start from 2510 euro.
extremely wide range of colors available for the Star Auto
- Classic: White, Silver, Black, ì
- Glamour: Lille, St. Tropez, Mint, Wisteria, Blue Sky, pastel pink
- Vintage: Yellow, Ivory, Avocado, Chocolate, Mud, Red Pastel
- Prestige: Graphite, Red Metallic, Earth, El Blue, English Green, Green Lagoon'

the price is 2510 euros.
Tipper

Post by Tipper »

Syd

Post by Syd »

Sorry Tipper, but that is certainly not it (if by it, you mean the Genuine Cruiser).
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Tipper

Post by Tipper »

No,it's quite obviously not !

It is however the LML auto that was discussed on page one of this thread.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

I think I'd rather see the LML Star Deluxe 200 here in the States. It's a shifty, but 200cc's of classic shifty.

If you haven't seen it...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/S9GJ_x7_lgQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Stumbled across a bit more grist for the design mill. Not *the* bike, but hot dang if it didn't hit a few marks...I give you the 1998 Honda FB-S concept.

It echoes back to the Juno a bit. 400cc flat-twin up front and nicely sculpted flanks. The nose and front fender lose me a little, but it was a concept bike.

More details here.

More pics here.

skully93

Post by skully93 »

HA! That looks like it was styled after the Goldwings of that decade.
Syd

Post by Syd »

az_slynch wrote:Stumbled across a bit more grist for the design mill. Not *the* bike, but hot dang if it didn't hit a few marks...I give you the 1998 Honda FB-S concept.

It echoes back to the Juno a bit. 400cc flat-twin up front and nicely sculpted flanks. The nose and front fender lose me a little, but it was a concept bike.

More details here.

More pics here.
That's too modern for my tastes, but I do like the backend. Reminds me of the Pacific Coast. Honda could sell that bike now, I'd wager.
The majority is always sane - Nessus