Oil leak

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Mutt the Hoople

Oil leak

Post by Mutt the Hoople »

I just had my first service on my Buddy 50 and everything seemed fine until the next day when I see oil underneath my scooter on the garage floor. I rode it around for a while after the service and it seemed fine. I live in an apartment bldg. and really don't have a way to check it out myself. If I'm leaking I don't want to ride it back to the dealer. What should I do?
96 Decibel Freaks
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Rent a truck...Uhaul small size. Get some straps and strap it down and take it back to the garage...
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Have you recently refilled the two-stroke oil tank? If so, did you spill any oil?
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Mutt the Hoople

No, I just had it serviced. It was the first service and they were supposed to change the oil. It's too much to have just dripped from filling it. I'm thinking perhaps the filter came loose but I don't know.
96 Decibel Freaks
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Is there a filter on the 50cc?
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Mutt, is the drop up towards the engine (2T oil) or back by the gearbox (gear oil)? You might stick a piece of cardboard underneath to get a fresh read.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

PeteH wrote:Mutt, is the drop up towards the engine (2T oil) or back by the gearbox (gear oil)? You might stick a piece of cardboard underneath to get a fresh read.
On the same track as PeteH here. Get some of the liquid on your finger and smell it. Gear oil stinks pretty bad whereas engine oil smells.... like regular ol' oil.
I'm wondering if the shop overfilled the gear oil and it's seeping out the seals. It's (unfortunately) a common mistake.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
Mutt the Hoople

I need to check that. The color is the green like the Motul 2T oil... But I'll see if it smells.
96 Decibel Freaks
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Seems like the shop overfilled your 2T reservoir. Easy to do, messy for days after.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
PIStaker

Post by PIStaker »

Playing devils advocate for a moment, but if it's your first service, doesn't it stand to reason that you're still under warrantee?
And if so, doesn't the warrantee include roadside assistance?
Or is the roadside assistance a dealer by dealer perk?

Sorry, that was a lot of questions.
However, if the leak is a result of their work, you should not be penalized for it.
In theory at least.
Just a thought.

In the mean time there are really 5 places you should check first.
Gear oil plug
Filter
2 drain holes, and dipstick.
Clean up the areas as best you can, and then stick some cardboard underneath of it.
Follow the dots after that. They'll help you determine the source.
Good luck.