Search for the Ultimate Commuter Backpack

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ericalm
Site Admin

Search for the Ultimate Commuter Backpack

Post by ericalm »

I know, I know, we've had many commuter backpack threads and opinions on backpacks are like a**holes, so to speak. But as part of my Life Simplification and Improvement Project, I'm getting rid of as many as 6 various bags and going down to three, if possible. This means I need something that fulfills more roles. That said, I may be looking for the flying unicorn of backpacks here.

Any other recommendations? Makes/models that fit the bill?

Here are my qualifications:
  • Fits a 17" MacBook Pro. Built-in laptop compartment preferable.
  • Versatile. Works well on scooter and bicycle but also under the seat in front of me on an airplane.
  • Voluminous but not bulky. Kind of like the Tardis.
  • Easy access. External and side pockets a plus. (Rolltops may be immediately disqualified for this reason.)
  • Durable.
  • Comfortable.
  • Reasonably priced. (Under $200 MSRP. I will probably not be paying full retail for any, so clearance or availability on eBay are pluses.)
  • Not ugly.
  • Bonus points for reflective elements, any kind of external straps or loops for hanging and attaching helmets and accessories.
Contenders:
Herschel Little America: I really WANT this to be perfect, but it isn't. In particular, I don't expect the leather straps to last. Aesthetically, a winner. Also, can be found for under $100.

Osprey Metron 35: Sites are divided on whether or not this will fit a 17" laptop. Great reputation for durability.

North Face Mondaze: TOO big? 30L!

North Face Pre-Hab: at 28L, almost as large. Nice features. (I mean the backpack, you pervs.)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZRNWVS_wON0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Think I'll head to the North Face store soon.

Timbuk 2 Phoenix: The big strap is problematic. A friend says it hangs to her knees when unbuckled.

Chrome Cardiel Fortnight: This is almost kind of sexy, for a backpack. Larger than photo suggests. On the pricey side. Might be worth it. No laptop sleeve. Need to check dimensions.

Dakine Vault 23/25: Oh, so close. Maybe. I currently have a Dakine Campus and it's not holding up well. Anyone had a Dakine for several years?

Ogio Renegade RSS: This may win on features in its price range. Suspension laptop sleeve! One of my grips with many is that the laptop can hit the ground hard when you set your pack down. Tons of access and pockets, many with extra padding. My former fave was an Ogio Fugitive, destroyed in a crash (though I still bike with it). The cons? Aesthetics (over-branded). No external straps or places for lights or reflective add-ons.

Disqualified:
Mission Workship Arkiv R2/R6: The ultimate if not for two things (laptop size too small, would cost me $$$$ in the configuration I'd want).

Timbuk 2 HAL: Overly complex.

Timbuk 2 Uptown: Fails on durability.

The Flying Unicorn: Looks like a Herschel Little America, has the features of the Ogio Renegade, the sex appeal of the Chrome Cardiel, and the durability of the Osprey Metron 35.

By the way, what I'm keeping:
One Tactical Bail Out Bag (BOB). The black one.

A small bag or sling for minimal carrying. The man bag. The Murse. Maybe something like a Herschel Eighteen, worn as a sling so I can get to camera, etc. while on bike or scooter. NOT a fanny pack!
My semi-trashed Ogio Fugitive, which I use for biking now. It's a pain to swap all my gear from one pack to another.

Getting rid of:
Timbuk 2 Messenger. Older one from when the company was young. Plain tan all over, kinda dirty. Was going to hold all my rally patches, but sewing through that waterproof-lined material is too much of a PITA.

Timbuk 2 mini bag. Camo with big, super reflective pink stripe down the middle. May keep this in lieu of man bag/sling (above).

Corazzo Messenger: Very nice, but torn pen pocket.

Prima Messenger: Virtually unused.

Dakine Campus: Two holes. Losing its shape. Adios.

Another messenger: Has a cool "EXIT" graphic. Doesn't get used enough.
Last edited by ericalm on Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
rayk

Post by rayk »

Wow. I'm not even looking for a backpack, but that North Face Pre-Hab looks great (from the video).
MB #2932
Ride safe.
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

I was thinking backpack at first. I am one of those women whon carry everything with them " just in case". I did however want to look professional and backpacks somehow just did not fit the image I had inmind. This is not an option for guys but I ended up with a very roomy purse called "Big Buddah"( It is a brand). It has a zipper, two handles and an over the shoulder strap. The leathery material is soft and when I travel to work I just throw the strap across and sit my purse behind me on the seat. Worksfor me..
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

I am surprised you haven't included LA Police Gear Backpacks in your search. You coud get the big brother of the Tactical Bailout Bag.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
rfman81

Post by rfman81 »

Try these. Not recommending buying from Ebay link but if you can find one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-High-Sierra ... 0776401681

Cheap, I have one and it rocks. Use it everyday on my commute. Has some reflective, and survived me sliding on it in my wreck and doesn't even show it.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:I am surprised you haven't included LA Police Gear Backpacks in your search. You coud get the big brother of the Tactical Bailout Bag.
The ones with laptop pockets won't hold a 17". Guess these aren't targeted at designers. :)

There are some interesting possibilities here, though. Some look damn uncomfortable—no injection-molded straps or back pads or any of that wimpy stuff here! Even BOB, due to materials, is VERY HEAVY.

The ability to check these out at a store would be nice. Guess I'll add some local military and police gear stores to my search.

Edit: This one is off the charts on functionality: http://www.lapolicegear.com/jtech-herac ... kpack.html
Last edited by ericalm on Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Chelsea from Scoot Richmond recommended the Icon Squad II Milspec. Like some of the other motorcyle-targeted bags, it may be a little too hardcore in some ways, but it has a few nice features.

Built-in tool roll!

Built in Alien helmet bag! Kind of weird placement.

But, the front looks like you're going off to play laser tag.
texepictetus

Post by texepictetus »

I have the Icon backpack in bright yellow. Also acts as a reflective vest. Yesterday I was able to put my full face helmet, riding pants, and a fox creek leather jacket in it while walking around at the Half Moon Bay Pumpkin festival. Was also able to pack a whole weekends worth of clothes and gear for two last year when I rode 90 miles down to the Indian Summer rally in Richmond last year. It is pretty big, but I highly recommend it.
texepictetus

Post by texepictetus »

And you can take the storm trooper shoulders off.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

ericalm wrote:Chelsea from Scoot Richmond recommended the Icon Squad II Milspec. Like some of the other motorcyle-targeted bags, it may be a little too hardcore in some ways, but it has a few nice features.

Built-in tool roll!

Built in Alien helmet bag! Kind of weird placement.

But, the front looks like you're going off to play laser tag.
Get rid of the shoulder bits and that could be VERY interesting. Normally I'm not a fan of dual shoulder strap bags since they tend to stick out a bit too much. But, that tool roll is pretty damned nifty, especially working as a Technical Director at a theater and always needing a rigging knife and adjustable spanners and always forgetting them! I've been tempted to move to a bigger bag, but that just means more will get thrown in and increase the weight on the back. But, I keep going back to that tool roll and mumbling "cool...."

Too many bags use an over-abundance of plastic hardware for the prices they charge. Heck, I'd pay a bit more to get steel or aluminum hardware on the buckles and hasps. I suppose that's why the Chrome Mini-Metro is still my go-to messenger bag. I try to avoid carrying my laptop whenever possible since mine is a DAW computer (Sony Vaio) and is made for connectivity and upgradablity and isn't the smallest thing in the world (frankly with the extended battery, two hard drives and purposely thick case the thing is a beast compared to more fashionable laptops). That and the mechanical hard drives don't like bumpy scooter rides :| And, I've really no need for a huge screen laptop like Eric has for his design work since I mainly do recording, and a 15" screen is the sweet spot for me at work.

My Chrome Mini-Metro is currently the best I've found for my needs: Form fitting, close strapped with steel hardware at critical points and VERY, VERY durable and waterproof. It even has a perfectly sized pocket for my Kindle :D But, there are no external pockets, there is only one central big cargo pocket for all books/laptops/tablets/etc. But, I would like an external pocket big enough for my Springfield XD9 and a better way to secure a cell phone to the shoulder/chest strap. Where my holder sits on the Chrome bag just doesn't work. The angles are all wrong. Nit-picky I know. But, since we are talking about the holy grail of packs I figured it helps to chime in other perspectives.
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
TobyDanger

Post by TobyDanger »

I'd recommend that you check out the Kriega R25*. The "quad-lock" harness makes it look like you are going skydiving and not scootering, but it's the most comfortable riding backpack I've ever used and holds a ton.

http://www.kriega.us/motorcycle-backpacks/

*but it won't do a 17" laptop.
phatch

Post by phatch »

I use my wife's old Pacsafe TrekSafe 100. I'd recommend it but it's sold out everywhere online.

What I love about it is the side pockets, which zip up and fit an entire camelback water bottle... zipped up! Plus theft protection. Plus easy access. Plus enough storage... not huge, but makes for a lighter load.
phatch

Post by phatch »

TobyDanger wrote:I'd recommend that you check out the Kriega R25*. The "quad-lock" harness makes it look like you are going skydiving and not scootering, but it's the most comfortable riding backpack I've ever used and holds a ton.

http://www.kriega.us/motorcycle-backpacks/

*but it won't do a 17" laptop.
I've wanted to check this bag out... does it travel well when stored by your feet?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

This is turning into my shopping Heart of Darkness. I'm deep in the rabbit hole here. :D

Amazing that there are so many options, and so many good ones at that.
TobyDanger wrote:*but it won't do a 17" laptop.
Dealbreaker! :)

A friend suggested these as well. The R30 may; they suggest a separate sleeve for a 17". It's massive, though! The R20 may as well; I need to compare measurements. I'm a little dubious of how comfortable some of the moto backpacks would be on a bicycle. The harnesses look hot! Time to look for more info!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

neotrotsky wrote:Normally I'm not a fan of dual shoulder strap bags
Does this mean backpacks or something else?

I can do messengers on my auto scoot, but for some reason carrying that much like that on the Stella was giving me back and shoulder pain. I'm moving around a lot more when riding the Stella, that's for sure.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

ericalm wrote:
neotrotsky wrote:Normally I'm not a fan of dual shoulder strap bags
Does this mean backpacks or something else?

I can do messengers on my auto scoot, but for some reason carrying that much like that on the Stella was giving me back and shoulder pain. I'm moving around a lot more when riding the Stella, that's for sure.
I was speaking about backpacks, yes. They just put too much weight on my back and it's already in sorry shape after an on-the-job injury when I was in college while working at a restaurant that permanently screwed up my back.

That's why the Chrome bag works so well for me, since it puts the weight on my shoulders without asking my back to bear the burden of the weight due to the way the weight is carried. With the main strap coming across the chest, it makes it much easier to bear! I seriously fell in love with the ergos of the Chrome messenger bag the moment I put one on. They just need to put a zippered pouch either on the top flap, or behind the bag in the back lining part and I could be content.
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
TobyDanger

Post by TobyDanger »

phatch wrote:I've wanted to check this bag out... does it travel well when stored by your feet?
Do you mean like on a scooter? Or a plane? I've only flown with it once and it's got cinch straps so it packs down pretty tight, but the shoulder and waist straps are pretty substantial and like to stick out perpendicular to the bag. With a little ingenuity and a bungee string or clip you could easily tuck them away a lot better. I've also locked the straps around the back of the pack and, when full, they cinch down pretty snug. Haven't put it on the floorboards of a scooter, but because of it's more streamlined shape, it doesn't have a very flat bottom. Not as bad as the Ogio No Drag, but it's made to be worn, not sit on it's bottom.
ericalm wrote:
TobyDanger wrote:*but it won't do a 17" laptop.
Dealbreaker! :)
A friend suggested these as well. The R30 may; they suggest a separate sleeve for a 17". It's massive, though! The R20 may as well; I need to compare measurements. I'm a little dubious of how comfortable some of the moto backpacks would be on a bicycle. The harnesses look hot! Time to look for more info!
I should clarify, on the R25 (and probably the R20 and R30), the internal magazine/laptop sleeve won't fit a 17" laptop, but it would definitely fit in the bag. If you do that, I'd second the use of a neoprene or similar laptop sleeve as it wouldn't have any cushioning when you set it down.

Other pluses, besides the looks, the R25 has large reflective patch on the back and the chest harness as well, it has a small inner and small outer pocket, big enough for phones, wallets, gps, etc. My Arai fits inside with a little coaxing. I've commuted with it for about 2 years with it empty and stuffed as full as it can go with ~25lbs of computer gear and clothes. It's always comfortable.

The only two small niggles I have with the bag are; I'd prefer a double zipper on the main pocket to open from either side or pull up to the top, and it doesn't "one-shoulder" very well when you are just walking around. It really wants to be locked. I love it though and I'd probably re-buy if they changed the zipper, but I think the shoulder thing is just how it's built.

I've also heard, because of the chest lock system, it doesn't fit the broad ends of the size spectrum very well. I'm 5'9", 170lbs, size 40US and I have it snugged down maybe an inch or two from the smallest it can go. Another local rider had trouble because he couldn't fasten the chest lock comfortably because the straps didn't adjust larger, but he's a much bigger guy than me.
Scooterboi

Post by Scooterboi »

I plane travel a lot. Needed something that could go from hike to scoot to car to plane. Big enough to hold all the stuff of the moment and the gear to deal with the crazy weather we have in Denver. Small enough to fit between me and the top case on the bike and not bust the airline limits for carry on and under seat storage.

Ended up with the Kelty Redwing 2600 (discontinued) comparable is the Redwing 44L.

Features:
- Internal frame and Removable hipbelt (less straps on the outside reduces the snag rate in airport security but I can use it when the load is heavier.) Very comfortable and relatively light.
- Organized with enough pockets to function as a portable office.
- Outside mesh pockets. These will fit under the airplane seat but it really wears them out fast. I usually leave them empty for air travel and use them for everything else.
- Enough room in the main compartment to carry large items (and lunch, extra fleece, aforementioned hipbelt, etc.) with compression straps to slim it down enough to ride the bike. I have used it for weekend backpacking no problem. Has straps to secure loads to the bottom if needed.
- Sturdy handles strategically placed (top and back) so you don't have to put it on to carry it. Also useful for straping stuff down.

The only negative I have is that they have this load compression strap on the shoulder straps. On larger packs it would shift the load to from hips to shoulders. On this pack it's just decoration.

Oh, and cheap. Or at least the 2600 was. Got two for $100 from Campmor on closeout. The "updated" 44L is going for $70.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___90326
retrochick

Post by retrochick »

I use the Ortlieb Pack Man Pro 2. There are other models that might suit your needs better: http://www.ortliebusa.com/ProdList.asp?scat=3

Check it out!
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

I'm no graphic designer, but I work with loads of data tools that work best with a lot of screen real-estate.

Let's see... at work, I have two extra monitors. At home, I have an extra monitor.

That settles it. My work laptop comes up for a swap in a few months, and I'm downsizing to the nifty lightweight/solid-state that will fit in the TBOB. :)

My home laptop (Dell Duo) already fits. :)
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
PIStaker

Post by PIStaker »

I wish y'all would stop posting pictures of your bags.
It's just plain rude.
This is a family friendly forum.
Tristik

Re: Search for the Ultimate Commuter Backpack

Post by Tristik »

ericalm wrote: [*]Voluminous but not bulky. Kind of like the Tardis.
~~
:clap:
~~
I just use a backpack from Outdoor products. Back is padded, has an adjustable breast strap to keep it snug, and has adjustable straps with clips on both sides to tighten up loads so they don't wobble. Spacious enough to fit a 17 incher in it although it doesn't have a dedicated laptop pocket. 3 compartments: 1 big main, 1 in the middle that's a bit thinner, and the front one that can fit maps and has a small pocket for pens and do-dads.

Pretty sure it wasn't more than 50 bucks, but can't find the exact one I have as it's over a decade old now.
SuperFlyBuddy

Post by SuperFlyBuddy »

This isn't going to be super helpful but if you can still find one I'd recommend a Willow Design laptop bag. The company is no longer in business but they made some very nice laptop backpacks. I've got a Kerouac at work for my 17" Dell laptop.

Good overview:

http://www.wap.org/journal/willowdesign ... rouac.html

One for sale in Canada!

http://halifax.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell ... Z422716314
<insert witty comment here>
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

My list of "under consideration" backpacks is now ridiculously lengthy. Going to hit some stores (North Face, REI, cool kid bicycle store) to check some out in person.

I'm also doing all kinds of stupid math in my head, "Well, this one is cheap enough that I could get it for casual use, then get another…" Which totally defeats the purpose.
SuperFlyBuddy wrote:This isn't going to be super helpful but if you can still find one I'd recommend a Willow Design laptop bag. The company is no longer in business but they made some very nice laptop backpacks. I've got a Kerouac at work for my 17" Dell laptop.

Good overview:

http://www.wap.org/journal/willowdesign ... rouac.html

One for sale in Canada!

http://halifax.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell ... Z422716314
Though this image dates the review, I actually do have an iBook SE I could carry around in this. For fun.
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

I wish I'd known about 3 weeks ago you were looking to get rid of bags... I pruchased a High Sierra laptop backpack through a Groupon deal for just $25 (I've become a Groupon whore... it's bad...)

Mostly, I was looking to find A) a replacement for the pack I lost in the crash and B) a way to carry a large bag of things (say, going to Lokky's for the night) without carrying in on my shoulder... cause, well, doing that with a lingering shoulder injury and walking with a cane is slightly difficult and also annoying.

FWIW, the backpack itself is very comfortable... but I noticed two corner panels on my laptop coming apart the other night, and I suspect it may be from the backpack being set down hard. IMHO, those damn High Sierra backpacks retail for WAY TOO MUCH to not have sufficient padding to protect a laptop properly while inside the laptop sleeve in the pack... I'm pretty peeved and also glad that I didn't pay anywhere near retail for the pack. I feel there's no excuse for it, really... it's not as if I have the arm strength to be throwing the thing around, it's never taken too hard of a hit.

That's my 2 cents. I've heard good things about Dakine, but have no personal experience. The pack I lost in the crash I loved to death, but it was nothing like what you're looking for.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

The seemingly endless options have forced me to think hard about what I really want and, more importantly, need. For daily use, do I really want a humongous 30L+ pack? Probably not.

I'm moving towards the attitude I have about scooter size and displacement: What's the smallest pack (in terms of size, weight, profile) that has all the features I need (with a more realistic assessment of how much I carry and how much I need to carry)?

The current frontrunner is the Osprey Metron 25. I watched videos for the 35L version and realized it's much larger than what I should be carrying. I rarely stuff my Dakine, even when traveling.

I have spent an embarrassing amount of time looking at packs, staying up past 3am twice. Whatever I get, I will post a big review of!
redhandmoto

Post by redhandmoto »

ericalm wrote:
I have spent an embarrassing amount of time looking at packs, staying up past 3am twice. Whatever I get, I will post a big review of!
I for one really appreciate all your research, Eric; I need to get a bigger backpack with good features and have been following all your leads.
honi soit qui mal y pense
A Neat Guy

Post by A Neat Guy »

I've used this one for over a year....and it's worked GREAT!

I have a Macbook pro too...plenty of cushion & storage. Nice, succinct, hidden storage areas too. Plenty of room - without looking too bulky. It has straps, too, that you can hook up while riding.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Swiss+Gear+ ... Id=6564611
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

on sale for $25 from w00t 10/21 only. not "ultimate" but good enough, cheap enough, and quality enough for some :)

http://sport.woot.com/offers/ogio-clutch-backpack

i bought one. $32.61 all in

Riding is riding
Rob

Post by Rob »

A Neat Guy wrote:I've used this one for over a year....and it's worked GREAT!

I have a Macbook pro too...plenty of cushion & storage. Nice, succinct, hidden storage areas too. Plenty of room - without looking too bulky. It has straps, too, that you can hook up while riding.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Swiss+Gear+ ... Id=6564611
:+!: This is the pack I use and it's great.
I carry my business laptop (17" screen HP) and while it's a little tight vertically, it works. I've also sometimes carry two laptops, with the 2nd being a 14" Dell, with no problems.

As mentioned, there is plenty of storage space, much more than it appears in the pics. This works well when traveling by air, as it fits either under the seat or in the overhead bin.

Another nice feature as I tend to at times to overload this pack, is the steel cable than runs through the handle at the top of the pack. I've had this for over 4+ years with no signs of wear.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Just curious but have you looked into hunting gear? It seems to me that strap vests would fit the bill for much, if not all, of what you want....
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

pugbuddy wrote:Just curious but have you looked into hunting gear? It seems to me that strap vests would fit the bill for much, if not all, of what you want....
People bring 17" laptops hunting? WHY?!?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

So, I've been riding with the bag of my choice, the Osprey Metron 25 (M/L), for a few days now. Is it the "Ultimate?" Probably not, but such a thing is very subjective as the above posts all indicate.

It is, however, one hell of a backpack. It's big. It has that whole Tardis-like volume thing going on. It's got more details than I would ever think to put on a backpack. It's a smart bag.

I'll do a long review soon, but here are a few pics.

Muy grande!

Image Image
Deploying the rain cover hidden under the outside flap.

One of my favorite things: no loose straps hanging down.

Scale. This might be too big for smaller riders.
phatch

Post by phatch »

Looks good!
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Apropos of nothing at all, LA Police Gear has the Zombie Hunter Bag (bigger brother of the TBOB) on sale for $19.99.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

And now, a few weeks too late, the perfect motorcycle specific backpack shows up...

http://gizmodo.com/5959144/this-aerodyn ... orcyclists

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Spent almost 3 days with the Metron strapped to my back. I liked it and it's grown on me even more. I even got to deploy the rain cover a couple days ago. Well designed and kept my load dry!
Skootz Kabootz wrote:And now, a few weeks too late, the perfect motorcycle specific backpack shows up...

http://gizmodo.com/5959144/this-aerodyn ... orcyclists
These are cool (looking) and Ogio makes good bags, but I'm dubious this would help anyone other than the most aggressive sportbike riders! For me, external pockets of some sort are more important than the negligible aerodynamic gains the would give me on my scooter.
amy

Post by amy »

Crumpler makes some pretty good bags (with funny names):
http://www.crumpler.com/us/
kooky scientist

Post by kooky scientist »

Not very flashy, but it does the trick for me very well. I have a 17" Mac laptop too.

http://www.wengerna.com/ibex-computer-backpack-12358