First Service question

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

anthony

First Service question

Post by anthony »

So because of various life issues, I've been unable to take my buddy in for the first service. It was in the shop at about 350 miles because I went down in August and the front fork assembly needed replaced, but of course, I imagine they only looked at/worked on what needed to be looked at/worked on. It's now at about 600 miles, and I won't be able to take it in until at least the first weekend in Nov. at the earliest. So I'm wondering if that's okay? How crucial is it to take it in right around 500 miles? Is it going to be a big deal if I go in at closer to 700?

Thanks all.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Anthony, the mileage for the first service is sselected so that you could take your brand new scooter and break the engine in. As the piston rings wear into the cylinder walls and the various bearings, camshaft/cam chain, pumps and parts "bed in", a small amount of metal particulates will accumulate in the bottom of the oil gallery. Smaller bits of material will be suspended in the oil and can be pumped through the motor, back into bearing, ring and chain surfaces. These particles must be removed from the engine to prevent them from causing damage.

The first service has two primary goals, to readjust things as they break-in and to flush the engine oils. The readjustment process is there to reset anything that has possibly fallen out of specification during break in; cable tensions, nut & bolt torques and valve clearances come to mind. The engine and gearbox oils are changed, as well as the oil filter (where installed). This flushes out the particulate contaminated oils.

The urgency of the service can depend on your riding style. If you ride your scooter hard (brisk acceration, generous application of throttle, etc.), then I would urge you to get the bike in sooner than later. If you've broken your scooter in accordance with the procedures specified in the manual, it is possible that less wear-in has occured and there is less particulate in the oil. You may be fine to bring the scooter in later than the specified mileage, but do not put it off for too long.

Proper care and feeding of your Buddy will make for many happy miles ahead! :D
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
PIStaker

Post by PIStaker »

Anthony,
Plus one on what AZ said.
When I bought mu Buddy, I called to schedule my first service when i hit 400 miles, for fear of damaging the motor, or voiding the warrantee.
Scooterworks were like "the soonest we'd be able to get it in is 3 weeks". So I was really worried. But if they didn't seem concerned, then I certainly wasn't going to be.

Long story short: my first service ended up being at 1K miles, and I just hit 15K the other day.
...you'll be ok.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

no worries my BJ didn't have its first service until 800 miles and over a year old. i changed the oil at 600 miles but did not change the filter. it runs fine
Riding is riding
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

700 miles should be okay. Many dealers recommend around 600. There is such a thing as "too early." You can change the oil at less than 500 or so, but I'd stick with dino, change it again at 600-700, then switch to synthetic.
JHScoot wrote:no worries my BJ didn't have its first service until 800 miles and over a year old. i changed the oil at 600 miles but did not change the filter. it runs fine
But maybe it could run better. :P
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…