Beyond the Ninjette: More small motorcycles

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Southerner

Post by Southerner »

Dooglas wrote:
Southerner wrote: I do like the bike (S-40) and tried one out for size at my local dealership. I was surprised to find that the seat to peg ergos were uncomfortably tight. And I only have a 30" inseam! So definitely try one out first.
Try first is always the right answer. Interesting, though, that the seating geometry did not work for you. I also have a 30" inseam - and an S-40 :wink: . In my case, the ergonomics of seat height, pegs, and grips seems to work just right. Just goes to show that each rider is a bit different.
Yes, I was very surprised. I can normally get comfortable on anything so long as it's not a sky-high dualsport. But the leg length was the only problem.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

RoaringTodd wrote:Has anyone discussed the Honda Nighthawk 250? They can be had around here for 1 to 2 thou and I'd go for a red or black one. Anyone have any experience with those?
I believe it has the same engine as the Rebel, which is the old Twinstar engine. l'm sure it's just as reliable. IIRC, it was one of the more expensive bikes in its class but Honda often charges a bit of a premium over similar bikes. In any case, it is more of a standard configuration whereas the Rebel has a cruiser look. The tank and sidecover lines somewhat recall the Vetter Hurricane done for Triumph.

If you like the bike, it should be a safe bet. one or two grand for a nice one doesn't sound bad at all.
phatch

Post by phatch »

Woohoo!!

CBR 250R FTW! $4K OTD!
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Very nice! It's very different from riding a B125, isn't it?
Lance Corona

Post by Lance Corona »

phatch wrote:Woohoo!!

CBR 250R FTW! $4K OTD!

Great deal on a cool bike.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

4K OTD i need me a deal like that on a bike when the time comes!. well, i want one like that. i just make offers and wait for the phone to ring :)

sweet machine you have there. in black, too. congrats :clap:
Riding is riding
phatch

Post by phatch »

jrsjr wrote:Very nice! It's very different from riding a B125, isn't it?
It most certainly is... but at the same time, pretty similar, y'know?
Lance Corona wrote: Great deal on a cool bike.
JHScoot wrote:4K OTD i need me a deal like that on a bike when the time comes!. well, i want one like that. i just make offers and wait for the phone to ring :)

sweet machine you have there. in black, too. congrats :clap:
Thanks, guys! Gotta keep it black like my Bud! :D

If you're interested and don't mind a hike, I got it at Western Honda in Phoenix, AZ - those guys are awesome! Kind of an unorthodox dealership when you walk in, but I had a good experience.
Swordsman

Post by Swordsman »

Lance Corona wrote:
Tristik wrote:Now we need Suzuki and Yamaha to get in the game.
Looks as though Yamaha already has something in the works.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2012/10/26/no ... -heats-up/
If you read the article, this is one of CW famous blowing-smoke statements. They have no proof at all, they simply "predict", and do up a Photoshop image to get the rumor mill rolling. It's like National Enquirer for bikes. :roll:

~SM
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

One of the bikes I was most impressed with at the International Motorcycle Show this weekend?

The electric Zero S. The specs are really close to what many are looking for in an electric. It looks good. All they need to work on is the price!

The other new bike that I really like? The CB1100. It's tidy, efficient, not an ounce of excess in it other than possibly the displacement! Oh, for a 500cc version of this bike!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

ericalm wrote:One of the bikes I was most impressed with at the International Motorcycle Show this weekend?

The electric Zero S. The specs are really close to what many are looking for in an electric. It looks good. All they need to work on is the price!

The other new bike that I really like? The CB1100. It's tidy, efficient, not an ounce of excess in it other than possibly the displacement! Oh, for a 500cc version of this bike!
I thought the original Zero bikes were price around $7-8k? Man, they're up around $11.5k? That sucks. We just got a Brammo here on campus (Italian electric moto). I even went to the campus Christmas party (yeah, I can say Christmas in Rhode Island as it's a Catholic college) hoping to run into "the Major" (head of security) to ask if I could try it out. But he wasn't there :(

I just love the idea of an electric dirt bike. No one would ever hear you messing in the woods.

One of the guys I ride with is seriously contemplating the CB1100. He's granted me a free ticket to ride it if he gets one. It sure looks purdy in the pics.

Cross fingers for a non-snowy MLK weekend so I can get down to the NYC show.

Thanks for the updates!
Syd

Post by Syd »

Swordsman wrote:
Lance Corona wrote:
Tristik wrote:Now we need Suzuki and Yamaha to get in the game.
Looks as though Yamaha already has something in the works.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2012/10/26/no ... -heats-up/
If you read the article, this is one of CW famous blowing-smoke statements. They have no proof at all, they simply "predict", and do up a Photoshop image to get the rumor mill rolling. It's like National Enquirer for bikes. :roll:

~SM
Can we start a rumor here? In a recent post Genuine Phil predicted "Yes, there are cool new scooters coming!!!". This post caused Longtime contributor to this site jfrost2, to undertake one of his stealth missions to GHQ, where he was able to sneak a shot of an early design drawing with his cell phone while Phil wasn't looking. Image quality isn't very good, and it's just a line drawing, but this picture could, just could, be an early look at the Fabled Genuine Cruiser!
Attachments
I'm excited!
I'm excited!
GC.jpg (6.54 KiB) Viewed 2634 times
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Dual-fuel (gas and greens) and a more convincing horn than a Wolo BadBoy. Kicker's on the appropriate side for one of the GY6-based LML Star automatics and I bet the unicorn will kickstart it if you proffer an apple. The double mudguard (tail and cape) is a thoughtful gesture to following drivers too. I'm concerned that the seat height might be a bit much for some riders, though.

:rofl:
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
phatch

Post by phatch »

az_slynch wrote:Dual-fuel (gas and greens) and a more convincing horn than a Wolo BadBoy. Kicker's on the appropriate side for one of the GY6-based LML Star automatics and I bet the unicorn will kickstart it if you proffer an apple. The double mudguard (tail and cape) is a thoughtful gesture to following drivers too. I'm concerned that the seat height might be a bit much for some riders, though.

wut?
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

phatch wrote:wut?
I was referencing Syd's "spy photo". It's the Batman-on-a-unicorn-on-a-Stella picture. I figured I'd play along and armchair-roadtest it.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Rusty Shackleford

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

phatch wrote:Woohoo!!

CBR 250R FTW! $4K OTD!
Cool! I have that same bike and love it... a lot. A good mod for that if you're riding in scooter territory is going -1/+2 on the sprockets, then correcting the speedo with a 12 o'clock Labs SpeedoDRD. It'll give you way more torque to the rear wheel and far better low speed control.
C'mon, sko sko sko!
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Rusty Shackleford wrote:It'll give you way more torque to the rear wheel and far better low speed control...
at the expense of some top speed. :wink:
Syd

Post by Syd »

jrsjr wrote:
Rusty Shackleford wrote:It'll give you way more torque to the rear wheel and far better low speed control...
Uh, are we still talking about bikes? :P
The majority is always sane - Nessus
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Syd wrote:
jrsjr wrote:
Uh, are we still talking about bikes? :P
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

ok small mc people, i went to the ims in long beach. and what i learned is i am not a small motorcycle person

darn it!! :cry:

at least not ninja 300 small. maybe an experienced mc rider can hop on it and think "nice little bike" and ride it. but i tell you...it cramped my 6'3 frame, easily. i did not find the riding position friendly (seemed supersport lite imo), my knees were ridiculously high, and the tank was too narrow for me to feel secure

the three honda 500's were a near perfect fit and feel all around. i don't ride mc's, but i can see hopping on one off a scooter and taking off without problem. and the "sport" model felt just sporty enough, sitting

the new little Suzuki is a complete no go in ergos for me

in larger bikes the Bonneville line up was near perfect for my liking, and the Yamaha FZ6R seemed spot on. the Kawi ninja and versys 650 were just OK

however, back to small. pretty sure my first mc will indeed be the Hyosung GT250 (naked) or a low cost used GT650. but preferably a new 250. why? well, it felt perfect. i like it blacked out, and it is inexpensive. however mostly its when i sat on it. it felt almost exactly like my Agility 125 in riding position, and has a good size. small engine, full size bike. it was the one along with the honda's that made me think " i am ready to ride"
Riding is riding
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

I'm not so sure that the problem is small motorcycles so much as it is the sport bike riding position. Whether you are talking 300cc or 1000cc, the sport bike isn't for everyone. It isn't for me, to be more precise. Motorcyles riding positions fall into 3 general categories. The sport bike is the first, the upright riding position of the classic Triumph or CB Honda is the second, and the cruiser position with low seat, swept back bars, and forward pegs is the third. Of the three, the upright position is basically the one that works for me. You need to try them all and see what works for you.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

I prefer the standard to either of the others, both of which will result in back ache in short order.

I think the new 500 will be another of Honda's good ideas. Can't get more tried and true than a 500 twin and Honda has waived its modernization wand over it as well. It remains to be seen if this becomes another of their good ideas that fails in the market place but this time I think their timing is right.
phatch

Post by phatch »

JHScoot wrote:...it cramped my 6'3 frame, easily. i did not find the riding position friendly (seemed supersport lite imo), my knees were ridiculously high, and the tank was too narrow for me to feel secure
I'm 5'10.5" STRETCHING up, so I could see being cramped at 6'3 on a little 250!
Lance Corona

Post by Lance Corona »

Syd

Post by Syd »

Why do sport bikes remind me of this:

:wink:
The majority is always sane - Nessus
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Lance Corona wrote:Yamaha made it official.

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2012/12/ ... and-honda/
Ha! Thanks for posting that. So, they're going to make the bike in India (just like the Royal Enfield :wink: ) and import it to the USA. Also, note that the bike in the photo in that article is a 150 they currently make. The 250 for the USA remains to be seen. I'm guessing it will be very similar. Lots of interesting news in this space. I guess it was sort of inevitable, given the global rise in sales of small motorcycles.

EDITed because I was so unclear the first time that even I couldn't figure out what I said. :roll:
Last edited by jrsjr on Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

I think its a good thing. I still feel more comfortable in the 350 to 800 cc realm, though.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

More grist for the mill: A mag photographer in Southern California has spotted a 2012 model Yamaha SR400 with manufacturer's plates. The article says it is a Japanese market model but why else would Yamaha bring one bike over to the U.S.?

For those who are too young to remember, the Yamaha SR500 was a kickstart-only single styled like a classic British thumper. It was marketed here years ago but attracted only a small cult following. I loved it but didn't have the money at the time.

I think it's a 400 in Japan because of a tiered licensing scheme over there.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2012/12/17/20 ... OTU5NDkzS0.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Southerner wrote:More grist for the mill: A mag photographer in Southern California has spotted a 2012 model Yamaha SR400 with manufacturer's plates. The article says it is a Japanese market model but why else would Yamaha bring one bike over to the U.S.?
At the right price, that could be a very interesting bike. Gosh knows, I sure like my Suzuki S-40.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Dooglas wrote:
Southerner wrote:More grist for the mill: A mag photographer in Southern California has spotted a 2012 model Yamaha SR400 with manufacturer's plates. The article says it is a Japanese market model but why else would Yamaha bring one bike over to the U.S.?
At the right price, that could be a very interesting bike. Gosh knows, I sure like my Suzuki S-40.
I'd LOVE to see this bike here.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

ericalm wrote:
Dooglas wrote:
Has anybody read about the reliability of the Japanese-market SR400s? I ask because, back in the day, the USA SR500s had a reputation for needing topend rebuilds every 10K miles or so.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

ericalm wrote:
Dooglas wrote:
You should have seen the old SR500s in Norton-like black and gold!
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Just spent the last couple days reading up on current small bikes.
I have had an itch about a small displacement 1970s ish bike since this summer and was thinking about an old Honda CB
But......
The Suzuki TU250X looks exactly like what I am after.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/mo ... ws/4333691

I plan on checking these out at the cycle show in Chicago in February

RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Had my eye on the Tu250 too- it also comes with fi, something the old cb does't have. I'd take off the decals and paint the tank into a retro Suzuki paint scheme.

Does anyone know if the handlebars on those tu250's can be changed out?
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

RoaringTodd wrote: Does anyone know if the handlebars on those tu250's can be changed out?
Assume so.... there are some photos and videos of the tu250 dressed as a cafe racer
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

ScootLemont wrote:Just spent the last couple days reading up on current small bikes.
I have had an itch about a small displacement 1970s ish bike since this summer and was thinking about an old Honda CB
But......
The Suzuki TU250X looks exactly like what I am after.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/mo ... ws/4333691

I plan on checking these out at the cycle show in Chicago in February

Yep. This is a very good basic formula and is would be quite simple for Suzuki to apply this to the S40 as well. I just don't see a 250 single as being quite enough for the combination of my weight and the distances I need to travel.

If I were riding around town only, I would be torn between this and a scooter.
phatch

Post by phatch »

These bikes are very cool and I've always liked them. However, they seem to be impossible to find in dealers!

On the street, the TU always looks (to me) like a small and uncomfortable bike. Just last week, I did have a chance to sit on one, and while it did feel smaller than a CBR250, it didn't feel cramped like the Honda Rebel I rode in the MSF course.

P.S. I +1 the idea of stripping the decals and logos to make it look like an old CB...
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I personally have never considered a small motorcycle. The main reason I ride a scooter is for utility. Flat floor for hauling, bag hook, under seat storage, nimble, easy insurance. Not saying there is not a reason for a small motorcycle. For years I have felt that we should go in stages with displacement like the U.K. with motorcycle licenses. I have seen so many dealers sell a young man in the military a bike they have NO BUSINESS buying for a first bike, then paying a price by wreaking or worse.... A old roomate did have a older 250 Ninja and we would fight over the keys, and my bike was a 94 CBR900RR. The Ninja was fun and didnt kill you with fuel consumption like the CBR. How does that saying go? Its more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow! I guess I just shot myself in the foot. The new 250CBR is nice and I do like the TU250, and have a weak spot for the S40 "Savage". I would love a older Kawasaki 600cc Eliminator. Drag bars stock, with factory ghost flames. That was a cool bike!
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

ScootLemont wrote:
RoaringTodd wrote: Does anyone know if the handlebars on those tu250's can be changed out?
Assume so.... there are some photos and videos of the tu250 dressed as a cafe racer
Attachments
SuzukiST250Cafe.jpg
SuzukiST250Cafe.jpg (63.66 KiB) Viewed 2316 times
Rusty J

Post by Rusty J »

For those who are too young to remember, the Yamaha SR500 was a kickstart-only single styled like a classic British thumper. It was marketed here years ago but attracted only a small cult following. I loved it but didn't have the money at the time.

I think it's a 400 in Japan because of a tiered licensing scheme over there.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2012/12/17/20 ... OTU5NDkzS0.
I was so hoping this was more like the Yamaha SRX 600.
Which I want.
Again.
Now.
Still looks to be a decent bike, and I'm interested.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

siobhan wrote:
jrsjr wrote:KTM officially unveiled the Duke 390 today! Here's a link to the deets at Motorcycledaily.com. 44 Horsepower! Vrooom! Vroom!

Image ...this should be marked NSFW. How am I gonna sneak that into the garage w/o the boyfriend noticing?
So, the 390 Duke is coming to the USA! Here is a riding impression from MotorcycleDaily.com and here is a little more KTM pron for siobhan. :wink:
Attachments
KTM 390 Motor small.jpg
KTM 390 Motor small.jpg (92.6 KiB) Viewed 2263 times
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

jrsjr wrote: So, the 390 Duke is coming to the USA! Here is a riding impression from MotorcycleDaily.com and here is a little more KTM pron for siobhan. :wink:
I've been talking with the KTM contact at my local shop about the 390, trying to get a release date. He still has no news...he was thinking in July they'd have the info for next year.

The good news is that he told me the frame is the same as the 690, which I got to sit on at the IMS in New York in January; a bike that felt really, really good.

I have never bought a new motorcycle (the Buddy is the only two-wheeled vehicle I've ever bought new), and have no idea what it's going to be like. I'm saving my pennies as I'm convinced the 390 Duke is going to be a killer bike to me.

That said, I'm doing a fly & ride to bring an '06 Husky TE610 back to little Rhody at the end of the month. I've got to save up all over again, haha!