LONG distance trips on Buddy 125

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

bimbom

LONG distance trips on Buddy 125

Post by bimbom »

I would like to do NYC to Miami (and back). Time is not an issue - tell me why I'm crazy.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

You're not. Have fun!

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
TVB

Post by TVB »

I don't know why you're crazy. :) But it's a good kind of crazy. Give it a couple weeks and it could be a fantabulous trip!
bimbom

Post by bimbom »

Realistically how long would this take and what would be good recommended stopping points?

I'm not opposed to just camping out for the night, but I'd probably only want to do this once I get into the warmer regions.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

I always plan my long trips at a speed of 45mph. I usually go much faster but that gives me time to make stops if I find something interesting or just coast through some nice spots (or horrible spots) as I wish.

Otherwise just outline a general route, make notes of any places you want to spend additional time in and plan accordingly. Enjoy!
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

during CBR, my daily average was around the 40mph rate, that factored in short fuel and pit stops. Figure a full day is roughly 300-400 miles of riding. Stay hydrated, even in the cold, its easy to overlook. Carry an extra gallon fuel container to extend your range and avoid gas station stops. Camelpak works great over your riding jacket just to sip on periodically, and I used a Nathan spillproof sport bottle to hold coffee, which was just right temperature after about 15 minutes, not too hot, and less time loitering at a 7-11 or gas station.

If you have the time and want to make it more comfortable, figure in about 250 miles a day. Another ride I did was a 2-day loop of the Chesapeake Bay. Average mileage was about 300 per day, and we did have enough time to sit and eat and unwind.

I'd suggest avoiding major cities as much as possible to save time. Avoid Baltimore, Washington and Richmond by taking US-13 through Delaware and connecting with the Chesapeake Bay Bridge / Tunnel, an awesome span to cross when you can't see the opposite shore on a clear day.

Have you met these guys (Eugene, Jeremy and Carlos)? They made the roundtrip from NYC to Key West a few years back. I rode with them from DC to Baltimore after breakfast. Good times!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_7i1Cn6NHCI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
TVB

Post by TVB »

How long it will take depends a lot on what kind of traveling you want to do. Is it about riding, sight-seeing, meeting people, some combination...?

My rule of thumb when I ride is to cover 100-150 miles/day. That's travel with a max speed of 40mph, and making lots of stops just to look around, take pictures of interesting places, etc. I've figured out that if you just start the stopwatch when I leave camp in the morning, and stop it when I get to the next, I average about 20mph. So a 140-mile route takes me 7 hours. That leaves me with a fair amount of time at each stop, and since I'm usually camping at state parks, there are usually things to explore. A 125 can go faster, but keep in mind that it isn't the scoot's top speed that determines how much distance you cover in a day, but the time and speed you choose to ride. Just eyeballing the map, I'd suggest doing one full-size state per day, stopping maybe in Delaware, Virgina, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia/North Florida.

Unless your trip is mostly about getting there quickly, avoid the interstates and major highways (even if they're legal). You can look at cars and pavement and grassy medians anywhere.

I've always planned my routes to give large cities a wide berth, and medium cities are best bypassed. Unless you're there for the city (in which case it's worth it) they're just a time sink. Traffic. :x
Rob

Post by Rob »

TVB wrote:How long it will take depends a lot on what kind of traveling you want to do. Is it about riding, sight-seeing, meeting people, some combination...?

Unless your trip is mostly about getting there quickly, avoid the interstates and major highways (even if they're legal). You can look at cars and pavement and grassy medians anywhere.

I've always planned my routes to give large cities a wide berth, and medium cities are best bypassed. Unless you're there for the city (in which case it's worth it) they're just a time sink. Traffic. :x
Agreed! It seems once you get beyond the time restraint that is the most limiting factor for most of us, it really really opens up the possibilities.

But I definiitely enjoy the side roads and a more leisurely pace. I've ridden the scoot as much as 400 miles in a day and the bigger bike 650. Can't say I really enjoyed those rides. Do some research on what you want to see, plan your route and ride comfortably.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
cdwise

Post by cdwise »

On a 125cc I'm thinking 200-250 average would be a pleasant pace but if there are interesting places to stop then perhaps less. My husband and I took the scoots from Colorado to California. While we took bigger scoots one of the objects was to visit half a dozen national parks in Utah. Our longest day was around 370 miles and the shortest was 80. We averaged somewhere around 260 miles per day.

I've done 350-370 miles in a day on a Buddy 125 and it leaves me too tired to enjoy the evening. 200-250 miles on the other hand is fine.
Rob

Post by Rob »

You might want to check out this blog area of RoadRunner Motorcycle Touring & Travel magazine.

http://www.roadrunner.travel/category/t ... nd-safety/

I subscribe and find this to really be a great resource for touring. You also might consider checking out their site for a few of the areas you're going to travel through for touring articles. They've led me to some great rides. You can purchase back issues if you find something that interests you.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
easy

Post by easy »

If your using a bank atm/debt card let your bank know. My bank put a hold on mine because they tought is was strange that I got $3 in gas 200 hundred miles from house. I was furious I'm a truck driver and use my card anywhere east of Texas.
what did you trade the day for?
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Timing your ride is very important. Have a goal and make sure and spend your time where you wish! I find that planning on 45mph gives me a bit of extra time but I'm not one to stop often for pics or to look around (on my last trip I decided to shave a day off the end and rode 640+ miles on the last day to get home). Going slower would probably make for a much more relaxing trip and I may try it on my next long trip.

The bank thing is very true too. I've had my card shut off and had to make a hot call or two to the bank. Sometimes it's not the bank that is the problem--gas stations may not accept your card for whatever reason!
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
TVB

Post by TVB »

pugbuddy wrote:The bank thing is very true too. I've had my card shut off and had to make a hot call or two to the bank. Sometimes it's not the bank that is the problem--gas stations may not accept your card for whatever reason!
Not relevant to this trip, but I had some difficulty buying gas in Ontario because my primitive US-issued credit card didn't have a chip in it to authenticate it as legitimate (like they have in civilized parts of the world). Pay-at-the-pump wouldn't work, so I had to go inside and sign for my less-than-$5 of fuel (or whatever that works out to in the beads and trinkets that they use for money in Canadia).
viney266

Post by viney266 »

TVB wrote:I don't know why you're crazy. :) But it's a good kind of crazy. Give it a couple weeks and it could be a fantabulous trip!
^^^^ THIS... Keep an eye on oil consumption if running HARD wide open , thats about it. We have done 600+ in a day on one, but 300-400 is more "comfortable"
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
Skippy

Post by Skippy »

Can you do this and avoid freeways, or is your 125 highway legal in the East?
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Sounds like a blast! Just plan your route, plan some stops, plan for a couple of unplannables, and go for it!
TVB

Post by TVB »

Skippy wrote:Can you do this and avoid freeways, or is your 125 highway legal in the East?
There are some states where a 125 is expressway-legal, but not many. And even where it is... better to avoid them regardless, because you'll out-gunned by all the armored vehicles.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Last day of CBR, day 8, and my card got declined at the pumps in Salton City. I conveniently had a voicemail message from my bank waiting for me, so I paid cash for my last fill up before the finish in San Diego... good times!
greg531

Post by greg531 »

Doesn't A1A go down the coast, for the most part of the trip?
GPS has some great maps....I would also bring some paper maps with me, when GPS tells you to turn into the Ocean! It happens....
Key West is Scooter Heaven....There are more scoots than cars on the island.....I would be careful, and drive as fast as traffic, since some cages will try to run you off the road, if you are going too slow.....
I would check the states, that Sandy hit, and see if the roads are open, along the Atlantic Ocean.....Bring ATM cards, call banks, even though they do not listen, but get the person's name and extension, at the bank, in case you have trouble with cards....I would bring cash, and split it up in different hiding places,,,just in case.....and maybe good oh fashion travelers checks....only get American Express, and keep the serial numbers separate from them....Small towns are great for food stops, and motels, as they tend to be cheaper....You might want to check on weather reports, local radar, for rain, and bad weather....you maybe want to stop for a day, if there is a all day rain in the forecast.....
Also, I would copy down, dealers on the way, in case you have scooter troubles....and be careful of where you park, and people that want to steal your scooter, bring locks, a Zena disk alarm, a big chain, to secure your scoot at night, and when parking where you can not see the scoot.....
I would also bring a extra supply of gas, in one of those quart MSP bottles, when you are too far from the next gas station....Try to plan out your trip, so you can make it to the next one.....
Have a great trip, and try to take a lot of pictures, and post your travels on here.....
BootScootin'FireFighter

greg531 wrote:Doesn't A1A go down the coast, for the most part of the trip?......

I would also bring a extra supply of gas, in one of those quart MSP bottles, when you are too far from the next gas station...
A1A is only in Florida along the Atlantic coast. It's probably a nice trip, but it runs through every town and city on the coast, which will be an extensive slow down through some densely populated areas of the state. Just a consideration, US1 might be a little faster going down the coast, although it does parallel A1A, but not directly in the beach districts. The US 301/441/27 combo runs right through the middle of the state from north to south, connecting Jacksonville to Miami, with small towns and endless orange groves inbetween. It also passes right along the west boundary of Disneys property (if you're interested) while avoiding the sprawl of Orlando. I'd save the coast riding for the trip down the Keys, it's at least a 4 hour ride just in that part.

As for gas, you'd be better off with a 1 gallon plastic fuel can and tie it up to the front rack. The QT bottles are tiny and not going to help you much in the long haul unless you're using a few, and they're pricey.
TVB

Post by TVB »

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:As for gas, you'd be better off with a 1 gallon plastic fuel can and tie it up to the front rack. The QT bottles are tiny and not going to help you much in the long haul unless you're using a few, and they're pricey.
If it's just for emergency use – e.g. you weren't paying attention, or underestimated the distance to the next town, and ran out of gas – a 20-oz bottle is just fine. It'll get you at least 10 miles, and doesn't take much space. Unless you're racing and can't afford stops or small detours to refuel, or traveling in territory where gas stations are 100 miles or more apart, carrying a whole gallon is overkill.
amy

Post by amy »

How exciting!

Triple A and KOA. KOA has some great, safe conveniences.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

I travelled on my Triumph Bonneville and took the interstate - for 50 miles.
That was the most mind numbing 50 miles I have ever ridden. Interstates are good for point A to point B travel in a hurry but offer nothing of interest. At least not here in my neck of the woods. Hard to beat state and local roads for slower travel and enjoyment.

TVB

Post by TVB »

DennisD wrote:I travelled on my Triumph Bonneville and took the interstate - for 50 miles.
That was the most mind numbing 50 miles I have ever ridden. Interstates are good for point A to point B travel in a hurry but offer nothing of interest. At least not here in my neck of the woods. Hard to beat state and local roads for slower travel and enjoyment.
I've gone from home up to Mackinac about 10 times, by car and scooter. The only times I enjoyed that trip were on my scooter, taking local/county/state roads instead of expressways.
adahl

Post by adahl »

I really want to do this, hopin next summer to drive from where I live now (the milwaukee area) up to Minocqua.. roughly 300 miles. My family has a cabin up there and it would be awesome to scoot in the area. Would probably make a weekend out of it, anyone have suggestions for bags? That's one of my main concerns, obviously would have to pack light.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

adahl wrote:I really want to do this, hopin next summer to drive from where I live now (the milwaukee area) up to Minocqua.. roughly 300 miles. My family has a cabin up there and it would be awesome to scoot in the area. Would probably make a weekend out of it, anyone have suggestions for bags? That's one of my main concerns, obviously would have to pack light.
Couple of waterproof bags available at Academy Sports. Pretty cheap. Buncha bungee cords, different lengths. Very practical.
TVB

Post by TVB »

adahl wrote:I really want to do this, hopin next summer to drive from where I live now (the milwaukee area) up to Minocqua.. roughly 300 miles. My family has a cabin up there and it would be awesome to scoot in the area. Would probably make a weekend out of it, anyone have suggestions for bags? That's one of my main concerns, obviously would have to pack light.
I'm very much into traveling light. The only bag I carry when scooter traveling is the Tactical Bail Out Bag, which I put on the seat behind me with the shoulder strap adjusted to keep it in place. Same bag I carry every day to the office/gym. The rest of my gear goes in the "pet carrier" under the seat, and strapped to my rear rack. My packing list from last year's 6-day trip is here.
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

I did Virginia to Wisconsin and back on my Stella this last summer, here are some suggestions:

Pack as little as you can. My trip was planned last minute so I was not very efficient with packing. My overstuffed saddlebags probably set me back more than anything else on this trip.

Have a way to keep hydrated. I had a platypus bottle with a bitevalve strapped to the seat behind me, the tube clipped to my collar and I could pop it into my helmet for a quick sip as needed.

Pace yourself and know your limits. On my trip I rode 450 miles a day, that took some 14 hours of riding each day, including getting lost (GPS got rained on and fried the first day) and stopping to stretch my legs. I would stop for fuel every 40 miles to avoid getting overtired and risk running out in the middle of nowhere.

Bring a fuel can, strap it to your floorboard. Mine literally saved my ass when I hit a big road detour that brought me through an extra 40 miles of unexpected Amish country. Keep the can as your backup, don't use it unless you have to.

If riding at night make sure you are easy to spot. I rigged blue LEDs to the back of my bike and they really saved me when I got caught in a rainstorm at 4am while crossing a mountain pass.

A friend of mine who ran the cannonball let me borrow his Airhawk seat. They are a bit pricey but it really made the ride a lot more comfortable, ensuring proper blood flow to my legs and preventing a sore butt.

I also wore a kidney belt for the entire trip, made it much easier to be in that sitting position for long periods of time.

Proper gear is key! Not just for safety if you crash but also to prevent fatigue and dehydration. I went in June but I still wore: modular helmet, mesh jacket, gloves, mesh armored pants, kidney belt with back protector, leather boots. It might be counter intuitive but being in a tshirt will actually cause your body to lose more water because direct wind causes evaporation and therefore increased perspiration. Having the wind directly blast your skin will also increase fatigue.

Good tires are a must! Perhaps even a fresh set before leaving (actually, just give your bike an overall maintenance so you won't have to worry about it on the road). One great trick if you have access to it is to fill your tires with Nitrogen. I rode all the way to wisconsin with Nitrogen in my tires (the stock maxxis that came on 2T stellas, I had bought the bike three days before this trip) and they got there looking like new. I actually had to deflate the rear in order to replace my pipe once I got there (cracked pipe on the second day, yay!) and had to reinflate with normal air... after one day of WOT riding the tire had squared off because of the higher temperatures it reached with air instead of 99% nitrogen.