NSR Twinkie recepie

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Stormswift

NSR Twinkie recepie

Post by Stormswift »

Cheff Young's Twinkie recipe from Inside addition has Vanilla bean as one of ingredients. Where do you get a Vanilla bean?
Young's recipe:

8 ounces (two sticks) unsalted butter (melted)

2 cups sugar

4 large eggs

2 ¾ cups all purpose flour

¼ corn meal or polenta

1 tablespoon baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 ½ teaspoon kosher salt

1 ¼ cups buttermilk

Whisk together butter, sugar, eggs and buttermilk. Fold in dry ingredients. Spoon into prepared moulds and bake at 350 for about 20 minutes. Once cool, trim the tops and inject filling.

Filling

16 ounces cream cheese

1 cup powdered sugar

1 vanilla bean scraped and pod discarded
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Having a moment of Twinkie panic there, Stormswift? :wink:

P.S. Please forgive me, I'm just feeling smug today because I'm nearing the end of a 10 week boot camp where I've lost 14 pounds and knocked a full point off my HA1C number.
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

jrsjr wrote:Having a moment of Twinkie panic there, Stormswift? :wink:

P.S. Please forgive me, I'm just feeling smug today because I'm nearing the end of a 10 week boot camp where I've lost 14 pounds and knocked a full point off my HA1C number.
I need to go to your boot cámp. BC/BS doesn't t want to cover me because I am overweight (welcome to 1984). :twisted:
I am not a scooter snob.
vwgrl1999

Post by vwgrl1999 »

You can find vanilla beans in the spice/herb section in any grocery store. There's usually 2-4 beans in a tall skinny bottle.
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

vwgrl1999 wrote:You can find vanilla beans in the spice/herb section in any grocery store. There's usually 2-4 beans in a tall skinny bottle.
Thanks!
I am not a scooter snob.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Well, boxes of Twinkies are already hitting ebay for $99 a box... and people are bidding
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

hostess has gone under. what is america coming to when a fat nation cannot sustain a fat food company like hostess? its crazy!

plus, i must digress. its not what you eat, its how much you eat. don't eat 4 twinkies in a sitting and you won't have sweet filling coming out your ears. among other places

anyway rip, hostess. i never met a chocolate cupcake quite like yours

meh. of course they will sell off the name and the twinkie will remain in one form or another. i am waiting on a foot long twinkie, myself :)
Riding is riding
TVB

Post by TVB »

The "Twinkie" is not going away. Even if Hostess shuts down for good, someone will buy the trademarks and "recipes" for these "foods", production will resume, and the diabetization of America will continue.
persephonelily

Post by persephonelily »

Wow, my pdf of the Twinkie Cookbook is not going to do me any good NOW. Wait, it never did me any good before...
phatch

Post by phatch »

TVB wrote:The "Twinkie" is not going away. Even if Hostess shuts down for good, someone will buy the trademarks and "recipes" for these "foods", production will resume, and the diabetization of America will continue.
QFT
Jackie F

Post by Jackie F »

I scoot by the Seattle bakery every morning on my way to work. It was a great way to start the day. Smelled wonderful.
Syd

Post by Syd »

You know they haven't made a Twinkie since 1996, don't you?
The majority is always sane - Nessus
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Syd wrote:You know they haven't made a Twinkie since 1996, don't you?
They have been running off of stored supplies from when the company first opened!! I knew it.... :rofl:
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
amy

Post by amy »

There are plenty of ho ho's, ding dongs and twinkies in red light districts around the world.

Although I'm sorry for the people who may be put out of work by this, I am not sorry to think that this crap may not exist anymore. The Twinkie recipe uses all kinds of destructive ingredients and processes:

- Monoglycerides and diglycerides, instead of eggs,
- Polysorbate 60 to keep the monoglycerides and diglycerides fluffy,
- hydrogenated shortening instead of butter,
- sorbic acid to stop mold,
- and cellulose gum replaces fat in the filling (but each twink still has 4.5 grams of fat),
- airtight plastic packaging,
- then packed into boxes, which are packed into larger boxes,
- which are loaded onto trucks for delivery.

Physical and environmental pollution gallore.
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

amy wrote:There are plenty of ho ho's, ding dongs and twinkies in red light districts around the world.

Although I'm sorry for the people who may be put out of work by this, I am not sorry to think that this crap may not exist anymore. The Twinkie recipe uses all kinds of destructive ingredients and processes:

- and cellulose gum replaces fat in the filling (but each twink still has 4.5 grams of fat),

This is why the "healthy" recepie (at least most of the stuff on it) sounds healthy. And no plastic baggies. Probably will taste better also
I am not a scooter snob.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

amy wrote:There are plenty of ho ho's, ding dongs and twinkies in red light districts around the world.

And it gives you a chance to espouse on your higher moral ground than the rest of us who ate it! A win in both categories for you I imagine :roll:

I think people are more in shock of a pop culture icon going out of business than the actual food, although I am sure *no one* was fooling themselves in thinking there was one bit of anything healthy in them. I'd rather eat a twinkie than smoke a cigarette or down several energy drinks, but that's just me. I think people treating stuff like snack cakes as the environmental and moral enemy of the people are making it out to be a bigger deal than it truly is. It comes down to looking like attempts to make people do what you think they should do.

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
Rob

Post by Rob »

neotrotsky wrote:And it gives you a chance to espouse on your higher moral ground than the rest of us who ate it! A win in both categories for you I imagine :roll:

I think people are more in shock of a pop culture icon going out of business than the actual food, although I am sure *no one* was fooling themselves in thinking there was one bit of anything healthy in them. I'd rather eat a twinkie than smoke a cigarette or down several energy drinks, but that's just me. I think people treating stuff like snack cakes as the environmental and moral enemy of the people are making it out to be a bigger deal than it truly is. It comes down to looking like attempts to make people do what you think they should do.
Well said!

I grew up with the Hostess snacks being one of my treats. And I can't count on my fingers and toes all the things I do that are worse for my health than an occasional twinkie or cupcake (like pizza once a week).

Anyway, it looks like there is hope on the horizon as apparently a Mexican business is interested:
"Mexico’s Grupo Bimbo, the world's largest bread-baking firm, could be on the short list for acquiring some of the Texas-based Hostess’ foodstuffs, according to Forbes. Grupo Bimbo already owns parts of Sara Lee, Entenmann’s and Thomas English Muffins."

Twinkies infused with hot sauce?

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
TVB

Post by TVB »

neotrotsky wrote:And it gives you a chance to espouse on your higher moral ground than the rest of us who ate it! A win in both categories for you I imagine :roll:
At least this thread is now fortified with a full days' supply of irony.
TVB

Post by TVB »

Rob wrote:"Mexico’s Grupo Bimbo, the world's largest bread-baking firm, could be on the short list for acquiring some of the Texas-based Hostess’ foodstuffs, according to Forbes. Grupo Bimbo already owns parts of Sara Lee, Entenmann’s and Thomas English Muffins."
I find the notion of a Bimbo Twink(ie) erotically confusing. :?
amy

Post by amy »

neotrotsky wrote: And it gives you a chance to espouse on your higher moral ground than the rest of us who ate it! A win in both categories for you I imagine :roll:
My apologies if I offended you, or anyone else.

I do like to be as aware as possible of the effects of millions of Twinkie wrappers floating around in our oceans :) Will keep my opinions to myself from now on.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Rob wrote:

Well said!

I grew up with the Hostess snacks being one of my treats. And I can't count on my fingers and toes all the things I do that are worse for my health than an occasional twinkie or cupcake (like pizza once a week).

Anyway, it looks like there is hope on the horizon as apparently a Mexican business is interested:
"Mexico’s Grupo Bimbo, the world's largest bread-baking firm, could be on the short list for acquiring some of the Texas-based Hostess’ foodstuffs, according to Forbes. Grupo Bimbo already owns parts of Sara Lee, Entenmann’s and Thomas English Muffins."

Twinkies infused with hot sauce?

Rob
This isn't far fetched at all! Bimbo bought out the Wonder Bread factory here in Phoenix off of Grand and Van Buren. Still smells the same when you drive by (kind of pleasant to ride by a place every day making fresh bread!). And, Bimbo has pretty much replaced Hostess racks in every convenience store in Phoenix. For the longest time now, Twinkies and Ding Dongs have been relegated to a tiny shelf while Bimbo cakes get their entire endcap rack.

siobhan

Post by siobhan »

amy wrote:
neotrotsky wrote: And it gives you a chance to espouse on your higher moral ground than the rest of us who ate it! A win in both categories for you I imagine :roll:
My apologies if I offended you, or anyone else.

I do like to be as aware as possible of the effects of millions of Twinkie wrappers floating around in our oceans :) Will keep my opinions to myself from now on.
Heh, that's what you get for not having the "correct" opinion :)
VinylDoctor

Post by VinylDoctor »

Stormswift wrote:

This is why the "healthy" recepie (at least most of the stuff on it) sounds healthy. And no plastic baggies. Probably will taste better also
thats why they last forever.
no bacteria want to eat them.
Rob

Post by Rob »

VinylDoctor wrote:thats why they last forever.
Similar to margarine. Leave a stick outside and even flies won't touch it.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

TVB wrote:
Best comment in the entire thread.
Actually, fortified with vitriol and irony!
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Wait!!! At the 11th hour, management and one of the unions involved in the matter have agreed to meet with a mediator on Tuesday. No idea if the mediation is binding or any other details.
TVB

Post by TVB »

Bankruptcy as brinksmanship.
laxer

Post by laxer »

Twinkies actually don't have that long a shelf life, look it up.

Also, though I know talks are now again in the works, we all knew someone would buy up the brand in a heartbeat. Somebody mentioned Bimbo, and they own Marinela which makes knockoff twinkies (submarinos) and various other knockoff hostess products.

PS-If you don't like them, don't eat them.
VinylDoctor

Post by VinylDoctor »

Rob wrote:
VinylDoctor wrote:thats why they last forever.
Similar to margarine. Leave a stick outside and even flies won't touch it.

Rob
bugs are crazy, not stupid.

hmm, How long would it take a dump truck full of twinkies to break down?
The truck would turn to rust and go back to the earth before they did.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

amy wrote: My apologies if I offended you, or anyone else.

Don't you dare keep your opinions to yourself!! If you have something to say say it. Not all will like it and not all will dislike it.

"... and the millions were silenced with one voice."
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
redhandmoto

Post by redhandmoto »

agrogod wrote:
amy wrote: My apologies if I offended you, or anyone else.

Don't you dare keep your opinions to yourself!! If you have something to say say it. Not all will like it and not all will dislike it.

"... and the millions were silenced with one voice."
yeah, ditto. +2

Looked just like a little strawman was set up - inflated with non-sequitor - solely to take a cheap shot. Maybe I'm wrong...but it seemed as though Amy was accused of saying something Amy didn't say, and solely for the sake of scoring some sort of bogus points for 'wit'.

I saw no hint of "superiority" or high-ground posturing in her post: she simply stated the truth about the dubious chemistry of empty-calories foodoid; no criticism of snackers (which includes, currently or formerly, most of us) was made at all.

Some plain facts were deconstructed into a social insult which a) implied that her character was in question and b) demanded answer by a vigilant critic of public discourse.

But it's only, you know, the Internet, and sometimes we all get carried away.
honi soit qui mal y pense
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Twinkies, schminkies.

What ever happened to Entenmann's Metropolitans? Sort of an upside-down vanilla cupcake with a rasperry glaze, rolled in shredded coconut, and topped with some sort of cream and raspberry jam.
redhandmoto

Post by redhandmoto »

charlie55 wrote:Twinkies, schminkies.

What ever happened to Entenmann's Metropolitans? Sort of an upside-down vanilla cupcake with a rasperry glaze, rolled in shredded coconut, and topped with some sort of cream and raspberry jam.
an absolute pot-party essential
honi soit qui mal y pense
SYMbionic Duo

Post by SYMbionic Duo »

TVB wrote:
Rob wrote:"Mexico’s Grupo Bimbo, the world's largest bread-baking firm, could be on the short list for acquiring some of the Texas-based Hostess’ foodstuffs, according to Forbes. Grupo Bimbo already owns parts of Sara Lee, Entenmann’s and Thomas English Muffins."
I find the notion of a Bimbo Twink(ie) erotically confusing. :?
TVB wrote:
TVB, You win this thread. :P

I award you with 1 internets.
Nothing is Foolproof to a sufficiently talented Fool.
TVB

Post by TVB »

:oops:

I'll put it with my other one. :)
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

jrsjr wrote:Wait!!! At the 11th hour, management and one of the unions involved in the matter have agreed to meet with a mediator on Tuesday. No idea if the mediation is binding or any other details.
EPIC FAIL on the mediation. They just announced Hostess is going bye-bye. :cry:
viney266

Post by viney266 »

I had not had a twinkie in over 10 years, then 2 or 3 years ago we started roasting them over an open fire like a marshmallow. The sugar caramelizes and it gets awesome!!!
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

jrsjr wrote:
jrsjr wrote:Wait!!! At the 11th hour, management and one of the unions involved in the matter have agreed to meet with a mediator on Tuesday. No idea if the mediation is binding or any other details.
EPIC FAIL on the mediation. They just announced Hostess is going bye-bye. :cry:
I guess I will not have to hunt for derailed Twinkie truck when Apocalypse strikes because there will not be any Twinkies left. This kind of takes all the fun out the whole Apocalypse thing. And I was counting on junk food to be non-perishable....
I am not a scooter snob.
Syd

Post by Syd »

I seriously doubt that at this point the Twinkie or the Hostess name will go away. Some entity will purchase the name (like Lambretta) and produce cheap-o knockoffs in China (again like Lambretta). Except the Twinkie brand will sell more, the labeling will be on the inside of the wrapper and will contain high levels of lead.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

Syd wrote:I seriously doubt that at this point the Twinkie or the Hostess name will go away. Some entity will purchase the name (like Lambretta) and produce cheap-o knockoffs in China (again like Lambretta). Except the Twinkie brand will sell more, the labeling will be on the inside of the wrapper and will contain high levels of lead.
+1
I am not a scooter snob.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

My company used to own Hostess / Continental Baking. We were joking around the office as to whether we'd be buying them back on the cheap. :D
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!