Counter-Challenge to 2SB's "Cold Weather Challenge"

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jprestonian

Counter-Challenge to 2SB's "Cold Weather Challenge"

Post by jprestonian »

Excluding the twist-n-goers just didn't sit right with me, so I did something about it.
TVB

Post by TVB »

"4-stroke, CVT-equipped, plastic-bodied scooter ... of 150cc or less"

So my 2-stroke CVT tupperware scoot doesn't qualify for this either? :(
jprestonian

Post by jprestonian »

TVB wrote:So my 2-stroke CVT tupperware scoot doesn't qualify for this either? :(
Not enough wind chill... unless you parachute out of a plane with it. :)
TVB

Post by TVB »

But a Honda Metro (with a cruising speed of around 25mph in these conditions) would qualify? :?
jprestonian

Post by jprestonian »

TVB wrote:But a Honda Metro (with a cruising speed of around 25mph in these conditions) would qualify? :?
Metro II, y'mean.

Yeah. Life's not fair. LX 150s are out of the running, too. Like 2sb said, "you gotta draw the line somewhere." :)
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

jprestonian wrote:
TVB wrote:So my 2-stroke CVT tupperware scoot doesn't qualify for this either? :(
Not enough wind chill... unless you parachute out of a plane with it.
In which case, you win at life, especially if you post video of the jump! :D

P.S. Be sure to put a put a parachute on your scooter.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

jrsjr wrote:
jprestonian wrote:
Not enough wind chill... unless you parachute out of a plane with it.
In which case, you win at life, especially if you post video of the jump! :D

P.S. Be sure to put a put a parachute on your scooter.
http://www.sheldoncomics.com/archive/110429.html

:lol:
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

As we used to say before we did something particularly stupid on a skateboard... Drop in Freestyle!!!
Attachments
DropInFreestyle.JPG
DropInFreestyle.JPG (14.79 KiB) Viewed 1909 times
skully93

Post by skully93 »

We'll see what the weather is like!

Maybe I will take my Buddy to Boulder in the cold just to do it! 38 mile trip.
stASH

Post by stASH »

Guess my 4-stroke shifty scooter doesn't qualify. While I do commute on it year-round with a number of really cold mornings, my Richmond, VA location probably prevents me from the longest coldest ride in the contest anyway.

I supposed if a gave a shit, I could ride the wifey's Buddy on a cold morning...
jprestonian

Post by jprestonian »

stASH wrote:Guess my 4-stroke shifty scooter doesn't qualify. While I do commute on it year-round with a number of really cold mornings, my Richmond, VA location probably prevents me from the longest coldest ride in the contest anyway.

I supposed if a gave a shit, I could ride the wifey's Buddy on a cold morning...
Well, I mentioned at 2sb that I did that so that someone else could start yet another challenge, call me a douchebag, and... MOAR PRIZES!

:lol:
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

stASH wrote:I supposed if a gave a shit, I could ride the wifey's Buddy on a cold morning...
...if we ever have another cold morning in Richmond. :shock:

(I keed, of course, but it is a little strange to be able to ride here in shirtsleeves in mid-December)
That Scooter Guy

Post by That Scooter Guy »

I'm not going to call you that. Mostly because it reminds me too much of the old Saturday Night Live skit. "Where are those Douchebags?"

EDIT: I just had to dig this up http://youtu.be/O7zdjTalk9c

However, I don't see why a CWC has to exclude anyone. I read the explanation on 2SB and it seemed like a lot of beating around the bush. Likewise, I'm not sure why your challenge excludes metal shifties; if not just to rub it in the face of 2SB.

I know the CWC and the fallout is just in good fun.

But c'mon guys. You surely aren't denying that a Silverwing, a Lambretta, and a Kymco People are all scooters. Speaking for the quiet majority of scooterists out there:

1) When you discriminate against a type of scooter the riders feel like crap. Not only that, they wonder if the discrimination is more targeted at them than the bike.

2) There are far too few scooterists (let alone scooterists who are "enthusiasts") to further divide us. This is even more obvious outside urban areas. My club is from a predominantly rural area, and it has impressed upon us the need to not discriminate against other scooterists (or even motorcyclists and moped enthusiasts).

3) Can't we all get along.

Steps off of soapbox.
Last edited by That Scooter Guy on Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

well, then do a 2 stroke one!

We could all pitch in for prizes if we wanted to, doing some kind of category breakdown. Maybe next year we can plan it to be a much bigger event :P.

including:

Most time spent riding
farthest distance
coldest temps
wearing a tutu

The possibilities are endless.
That Scooter Guy

There is a two-stroke one.

http://2strokebuzz.com/2012/11/27/20121 ... -challenge

That's why this other one was established.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Sure, bring LOGIC into the whole thing....

it's been a long day.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Re: Counter-Challenge to 2SB's "Cold Weather Challenge&

Post by BuddyRaton »

jprestonian wrote:Excluding the twist-n-goers just didn't sit right with me, so I did something about it.

Here we go again "Only Because That Other Site Are Being Exclusionary Douchebags"

Yeah it's a vintage 2T event...so what? Let the vintage heads have their fun without being a dick about it. Crap the thing is being sponsored by 2stroke Buzz and Piston Ported (Dope as F*ck)...what do you expect? 90% of tng riders don't have a clue what piston ported even means

I ride them all. Maxi, TNG vintage... I get shit from everybody and I'll sling it right back. Vintage IS different than TNG for many reasons.

As far as "Old, Italian, metal-bodied scooters that can only be reliably ridden in hours-per-year that you can count on one hand" you dont have a frak clue what your talking about. I rode a 67 Vespa GT from Savannah to San Diego. More than one vintage bike made the CBR 2012.

If you want to have your own exclusionary run go for it. Bitching about a group excluding others and then....excluding others from your run..give me a frak break...just because you don't have what it takes to enter the run doesn't mean you have to be a dick about it.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

I'm with BuddyRaton on this one. Let them have their event, create you're own if you must, but in the end, don't go bashing other groups because they have set parameters that you may not meet. I ain't loosing sleep over it. When I'd participate in "alleycat" bike messenger races in Washington and New York City, they'd specify that it was fixed gear or single speed only, yet time and time again people would show up on top of the line road bikes and gripe about why they weren't allowed to register even though they knew the rules ahead of time. Whatever the advantages they see of 4 stoke vs 2 stroke or vintage vs TNG, it is what it is.

If you do your own event, cool. Open it up on Modern Buddy and I'm sure you'll get a lot of takers. Not that it gets particularly unbearably cold in my parts and I ride year round, I plan to ride to Durham NC next month for a rally, so I'm hoping to dip into some cold temps along the way, as crazy as that sounds.
TVB

Post by TVB »

I think some of y'all are taking this more seriously than it was intended.

I'm having a contest that is only open to red plastic 2-stroke bikes with 50cc engines and at least 15K miles. CVT or shifty... I'm open-minded. Longest ride under 32ºF wins a cookie. ;)
That Scooter Guy

For the record, I'm not taking this as seriously as it may appear.

Considering the tragedy in Connecticut, Ashrat being sick, the stress of the holidays, etc, my comments were posted more to distract myself than anything else.

On the other hand, I do think it's unfortunate when people decide to exclude someone else from anything. It might seem innocuous, but it can cause some deep personal pain (not to me, but to people I care about). If that seems like one of those comments where there is "more to it than meets the eye" well... it is.

In the case I just (not so) subtly alluded to I did follow the advice mentioned in this thread. I started my own event. :)
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

Unless its a tshirt and shorts ride, it's all who has the best gear.
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"
jprestonian

Post by jprestonian »

Stitch wrote:Unless its a tshirt and shorts ride, it's all who has the best gear.
... or for those who want to suffer for their ar... erm, plastic stuff made in China/gift cards and shop rags. :)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

SIGH.

:fp: :fp: :fp:
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Short answer to all this malarkey:

Go ride your dang scooter, regardless of what bits and bobs it's made of. Ride it to work, to school, to a coffee shop, grocery store or just down a long and winding road with little traffic. At the end, everyone wins the smile and corresponding awesome feeling of what it means to be a scooter pilot.

I'm riding tomorrow and I hope that y'all can to. :D
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I can't! It's blizzarding out there. Which means no ride tomorrow on my day off either, darnit.

Maybe Friday. I'm always excited if I can ride in December.
jprestonian

Post by jprestonian »

I, personally, am boycotting both douchebags' exclusionary contests, and urge you to do the same!

(sux when you have to explain a joke)
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

jrsjr wrote:
stASH wrote:I supposed if a gave a shit, I could ride the wifey's Buddy on a cold morning...
...if we ever have another cold morning in Richmond. :shock:

(I keed, of course, but it is a little strange to be able to ride here in shirtsleeves in mid-December)
Hey don't jinx it there buddy! I'm looking forward to a salt and sand free Spring. All it takes is a hint of snow and VDOT sand-craps it's bloomers.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

9 degrees, got to work, then I realized....I forgot my laptop! had to go back and get it.

15 miles @ 9 degrees. Not as bad as I thought, but I'm glad to be indoors.
Syd

Post by Syd »

That Scooter Guy wrote:...a Silverwing, a Lambretta, and a Kymco People...
That sounds like the beginning of a joke. "A Schwing, a 'Bretta and a People walk into a bar..."
The majority is always sane - Nessus