Adjusted valves and now can't go past 50

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

mjrally

Adjusted valves and now can't go past 50

Post by mjrally »

I just adjusted the valves on my friends 08 Buddy 125 to .08mm. Piston was moved to top dead center per the 3 holes and the marks on the cam gear.

After buttoning everything up the bike started fine, accelerated fine but wouldn't go past 50. It didn't even feel like it had more to give.

I'm waiting on the engine to cool to double check but anyone have any suggestions?
Throwback7R

Post by Throwback7R »

Check it again my guess it is off. Could be it moved when it got tightened or something else happened but if I had to guess it is off.
mjrally

Post by mjrally »

Ok. Again adjusted them to .08mm so I felt a slight drag on the feeler gauge and I got it up to 52 this time.

Asked my friend how long ago he changed his belt/ rollers and it's been a few years. I'm going to dive into that next.

Thanks for the response.
easy

Post by easy »

How fast would it go before you did the valve adjustment?
what did you trade the day for?
mjrally

Post by mjrally »

When it was in perfect shape it would cruise 60-65. Stock 125 set up but Prima exhaust added.

The valves were so bad it was having problems starting so the Buddy went into storage and my friend rode his other scoot.

I'm going to check the air filter tomorrow. Weights and belts after that
easy

Post by easy »

Might have run it lean and burnt the valves if he didn't change jets with the pipe. They lose speed when the oil is over filled. Check spark plug and spark plug cap the inside of the cap goes bad over time. Buddy's valves are not known to change much not like cheaper scooters
what did you trade the day for?