New Front Fork Assembly, Bent Old One

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

kymur

New Front Fork Assembly, Bent Old One

Post by kymur »

I bumped and fell over a curb and must have damaged something. My handlebar is sticky, harder to turn and wants to veer to the left.
With no gas and coasting it makes a weening sound like the front brake is braking, but more like a gear than a squeak sound.

Here's the outcome!
Here's the after effects of when I hit that curb (about a foot high) going 20mph and flipped over the curb (youtube):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8cH9PuwukQ

Finally took off the handlebar to get to the Front Fork Assembly on my motorbike. So now I can take out my broken one and in goes the new.
(dealer said it'd be 3 hours so saved $240)
http://imgur.com/a/2qpgS

I try putting the brakes on and when I do that I put the acceleration on too, it's like a natural motion. Maybe from when I was always riding a bike I braked and pushed my weight forward to the bottom of my hand, which if it was a throttle would turn backward and accelerate.
Basically I accelerated the back wheel while braking the front wheel and locking it, skidding into the curb.
Last edited by kymur on Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:15 am, edited 8 times in total.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I responded to your PMs about this, but seeing the post, I'll copy those responses here in case they benefit anyone else.

First, front panel removal instructions and pics in this thread:
topic1814.html

The pics are in reverse order, so start from the bottom and scroll up.

Next…
I bumped and fell over a curb and must have damaged something. My handlebar is sticky, harder to turn and wants to veer to the left. When no gas it makes a weening sound like the front brake is braking, but more like a gear than a squeak sound. Any help with that would be extraordinary!
Yikes, you probably want a dealer to look at that.

When you say "when no gas" do you mean while in motion, coasting?

Some possible causes: bent/damaged front fork, damage to steering column or bearings, bent brake rotor or damaged caliper.

Brake damage could explain the noise. Dirt or debris in the brake can cause squealing, too, but usually only when applying the brakes. Does braking affect it in any way? Any roughness when squeezing the front brake?

I'd put it up on the center stand on level ground, point the front wheel dead ahead, then kneel in front of the scooter and spin the wheel by hand. It should spin fairly easily and straight. If it's hard to turn or wobbles/tilts when spinning, you've definitely got problems.

This may be something that could get worse when riding and cause the brakes to fail or handlebars to lock up. I'd have it looked at before riding. If you're still covered by roadside assistance, you may even want to arrange a tow to your dealer. Roadside will cover up to $100 in towing.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
kymur

Post by kymur »

Just when coasting, gas off.
Last edited by kymur on Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Do you have a pic of which metal rods you're talking about?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
kymur

Post by kymur »

yes
Last edited by kymur on Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kymur

Post by kymur »

The scooter only makes the gear/screech but more gear sound in the front when coasting.
Last edited by kymur on Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kymur

Post by kymur »

Just ordered the new part (in the vid), what's it called again? But here's the outcome!
Here's the after effects of when I hit that curb (about a foot high) going 20mph and flipped over the curb (youtube):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8cH9PuwukQ

I try putting the brakes on and when I do that I put the acceleration on too, it's like a natural motion. Maybe from when I was always riding a bike I braked and pushed my weight forward to the bottom of my hand, which if it was a throttle would turn backward and accelerate.
Basically I accelerated the back wheel while braking the front wheel and locking it, skidding into the curb
Last edited by kymur on Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Hi kymur! Sorry about the delay. Which posts did you want us to delete?
ModBud #442
kymur

Post by kymur »

Lol I was just saying you guys should add a delete post function (if it's your own post). The one for deletion is this one and yours I guess :P
kymur

Finally took off Handlebar

Post by kymur »

Last edited by kymur on Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ride Ride Ride ~Kymur
kymur

Re: FREAKY STEERING AFTER A CRASH!!!!

Post by kymur »

Finally took off the handlebar to get to the Front Fork Assembly on my motorbike. So now I can take out my broken one and in goes the new.
(dealer said it'd be 3 hours so saved $240)
http://imgur.com/a/2qpgS
Ride Ride Ride ~Kymur