New Member/Proud Owner 2007 Red Buddy

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

pickboy_101

New Member/Proud Owner 2007 Red Buddy

Post by pickboy_101 »

Just got me a 2007 Buddy 125. It is red and looks awesome! It was kept under a cover through the winter (Utah) and the battery is dead. It kick starts fine and I have been able to ride around without any problems- oil level looked good, good color- when will I need to change the oil out and can I just recharge the battery? The lady I got it from hadn't ridden it much (1600 miles total miles and she is the second owner). The tires looked good too but should I worry about dry rot or anything else???[/code]
jmazza

Re: New Member/Proud Owner 2007 Red Buddy

Post by jmazza »

pickboy_101 wrote:Just got me a 2007 Buddy 125. It is red and looks awesome! It was kept under a cover through the winter (Utah) and the battery is dead. It kick starts fine and I have been able to ride around without any problems- oil level looked good, good color- when will I need to change the oil out and can I just recharge the battery? The lady I got it from hadn't ridden it much (1600 miles total miles and she is the second owner). The tires looked good too but should I worry about dry rot or anything else???[/code]
Sweet! Welcome to the family!

The battery may very well be dead and not chargeable. You can have it checked for free at an auto parts place or (even better) a Batteries Plus.

No reason not to change the oil right away - both the engine and hub oil. After that, assuming using synthetic oil, it's every 1500-2000 miles.
tortoise

Re: New Member/Proud Owner 2007 Red Buddy

Post by tortoise »

pickboy_101 wrote:when will I need to change the oil out and can I just recharge the battery?
Might try using the forum search feature . . literally YEARS of previous discussions on these topics.

Maintenance video.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

at this point I'd just get a new battery, and to heck with it.

But congrats! at 1600 miles I don't even think it's fully broken in. should be an absolute blast.
pickboy_101

Post by pickboy_101 »

Thanks! I got a new battery on order, throwing some sea foam in my gas (still cold here in Utah, covering bases from previous owner) and changing the oil this weekend. If I still have problems with the starter I may need to change out the stator or starter- but I found the resources for that stuff. Also going to do some cosmetic stuff.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

at 1900 miles I strongly doubt the stator would croak. I bet it's just 'sitting' related, nothing a good cleaning and some love.