Buddy 125 performance wheel upgrades!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

gixxer1000chad

Buddy 125 performance wheel upgrades!

Post by gixxer1000chad »

So I just realized after hitting a pothole that my front wheel is now bent and wobbles at speed and doesn't feel safe to commute on over 30 mph.. Does anyone know if there is some stronger/lighter performance racing type wheels for our scooters out there? I think I read on a post a while back that someone had just gotten some new lightweight wheels sent to them in the mail, but I also could have just read it wrong... Any input would be appreciated..
gixxer1000chad

Post by gixxer1000chad »

Also if anyone has a spare front wheel for sale , I could really use it
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

Pretty much this is a dealer only part. I paid $145 for wheel, bearings, and spacer. I installed myself. Price has gone up since then. With labor est. $200-250ish. Hard to find used wheels.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

lovemysan wrote:Pretty much this is a dealer only part. I paid $145 for wheel, bearings, and spacer. I installed myself. Price has gone up since then. With labor est. $200-250ish. Hard to find used wheels.
I'm in the process of rebuilding the front wheel with all new components. Do I need to pack the "spacer component" (that sits between the sealed bearings) with a ton of grease? I would assume yes, but I wanted to know what anyone else has done or not done and their results. Not a mention of it anywhere in the Buddy manual that I can find. It is the outer and inner portion of the cylinder of part #4

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Don't know about a performance wheel, but a better shock may have spared yours. That might be the thing to upgrade.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

I did not. But I did spray wd40 on the bearings as a !lubricate during assembly. One of them rusted from that or the one time I road in the rain.
161cc big bore kit, NCY big valve head Hand ported, NCY transmission kit, jetted and tuned. I can port your cylinder head.
buddyguy

Re: Buddy 125 performance wheel upgrades!

Post by buddyguy »

gixxer1000chad wrote:So I just realized after hitting a pothole that my front wheel is now bent and wobbles at speed and doesn't feel safe to commute on over 30 mph.. Does anyone know if there is some stronger/lighter performance racing type wheels for our scooters out there? I think I read on a post a while back that someone had just gotten some new lightweight wheels sent to them in the mail, but I also could have just read it wrong... Any input would be appreciated..

From what I've seen out in the market there are no high performance wheels that will fit a buddy yet, but out of curiosity if there were a set available, billet aluminum (lighter/stronger/stylish) what would you be willing to pay for them?
2009 Genuine Buddy St Tropez 150cc
Mods:
European Style Mirrors
Dummy Lights Turned Blinkers
Fatty Tire
NCY Racing Intake
30mm Racing Carburetor
Prima Stainless Steel Exhaust
81bmph 78mph Dyno confirmed.
buddyguy

Post by buddyguy »

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:
lovemysan wrote:Pretty much this is a dealer only part. I paid $145 for wheel, bearings, and spacer. I installed myself. Price has gone up since then. With labor est. $200-250ish. Hard to find used wheels.
I'm in the process of rebuilding the front wheel with all new components. Do I need to pack the "spacer component" (that sits between the sealed bearings) with a ton of grease? I would assume yes, but I wanted to know what anyone else has done or not done and their results. Not a mention of it anywhere in the Buddy manual that I can find. It is the outer and inner portion of the cylinder of part #4

No need to pack the hub with grease. If the hub overheats it may spew grease everywhere including your brakes. You only need to grease the bearings if they are not sealed. Also lubricate all other parts that have metal to metal contact.
2009 Genuine Buddy St Tropez 150cc
Mods:
European Style Mirrors
Dummy Lights Turned Blinkers
Fatty Tire
NCY Racing Intake
30mm Racing Carburetor
Prima Stainless Steel Exhaust
81bmph 78mph Dyno confirmed.