Acceleration issues on 170i

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

uklemond

Acceleration issues on 170i

Post by uklemond »

Hi All

Bike is due a service next week, but wanted to get opinions from here before i go in about an issue i have been experiencing in the last few weeks.

Basically she pulls of fine sounds great and accelerates well, until such time as she hits between 65 and 70 on the ODO. Then it feels like the jets of a plane hitting reverse. Whilst she is still travelling forward, you hear the sound change on the engine as though something is being sucked in, and the power loss is so significant that it feels like you are on a bungee rope and about to be pulled back any second. Let go of the throttle and all is well until such time as you hit those speeds again.

Bike is serviced every 1500 miles, and is currently on 9k miles. Any ideas?
TroutBum

Post by TroutBum »

Could it be that the 170i has a rev limiter?
uklemond

Post by uklemond »

TroutBum wrote:Could it be that the 170i has a rev limiter?
I would like to think that could be it, but does not explain why it has only just started to happen. The same route every day for the last 8 months, and usually faster than i am in these conditions. It has only been a couple of weeks since the symptoms have begun to exist.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

9000 miles... have you had your belt changed? Could be belt slippage. You should be 1/2 way through your second belt by now.

My only other thought is perhaps a vacuum leak somewhere? But I am totally guessing at that.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
DemRemz

Post by DemRemz »

We recently had one come in the shop where the injector had fell off. I would check to make sure that its on there good. We now take the injector screws out of new bikes and lock tight them back on. Also, at 9k miles, check your belt, weights and your clutch wear limits. I would also have them hook the FI to the computer and clear out the settings and add them back to it to make sure its not the injector messing up.
Throwback7R

Post by Throwback7R »

my guess would be something in the CVT I would go with Belt, Roller weights .. I know mine were bad when i got it with 13k miles on it..
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:9000 miles... have you had your belt changed? Could be belt slippage. You should be 1/2 way through your second belt by now.
Oh really? I had mine checked at 6k and it was still good. They'll change it at 8 regardless.

It does sound like belt or clutch slippage to a mechanical pal of mine as well.