22k on my 161cc not bad

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jijifer

22k on my 161cc not bad

Post by jijifer »

a little over 22k miles ago, I put one of the first big bore kits on my buddy. I absolutely love the power it's given me to climb hills.

In Vegas at the High Rollers rally, I had trouble with my little scoot for first time. It ran out of oil unexpectedly and when we looked at the spark plug was fouled with carbon. My mechanic was at the rally and pulled out the carb and cleaned it and say I'd probably need to replace the kit soon.

This past weekend at the Appreciation ride, I was told at take off I was puffing white smoke from my exhaust.

So getting a new kit put in (I can't go back to stock - no way!)

It's going to be hard to be patient and break it in but I will so I can get another 22k. miles out of it.

Should have it broken in before Amerivespa :)

but no regrets. 22k was longer than expected from this kit and when we installed it wasn't well-road tested.

Who's got more miles on the big bore without having to replace?
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Sounds like that kit did it's job and served you well!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
TVB

Re: 22k on my 161cc not bad

Post by TVB »

jijifer wrote:Who's got more miles on the big bore without having to replace?
I don't even have that many miles on my stock engine!

That'll be later this year. ;)
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

Thought about going to a ceramic coated kit? They run cooler. Mine smokes too. Not a lot but occasionally on start up. I'm planning a big valve head for mine.
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

I put this kit on in April of 2009 when I had just over 4k miles on the bike. These kits were just new to the market and at the time the NCY bigger valve head wasn't available but it was know the bigger valve head was a necessary piece. So I bought a stock buddy 150 head and had it installed with the kit.

The 125 doesn't have an oil cooler so I've always burned off oil. Never before this much this fast and not where I'm blowing white smoke every time I take off the line.

I'm hoping the head is ok and it's just the kit I need. I guess we won't know until they pull it all apart.

I'm pleased with 22k out of a performance mod. At the installation- never having seen one- they told me expect to be changing it every 7k :)
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

I'd say 22K is a great lifespan for a kit. Not bad at all. Even a stock engine is likely to need some TLC after that many miles. I think what's equally impressive is that the rest of the scooter is in such good shape that it is worthy of a new kit. I've seen your scooter and it still looks great!

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Throwback7R

Post by Throwback7R »

I just installed the 171bbk on my 150 with the NCY head. Also, scooterworks offers a Oil cooler add on for the scoot. Could try and find a stock 150 oil cooler as well ? just a thought
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

Throwback7R wrote:I just installed the 171bbk on my 150 with the NCY head. Also, scooterworks offers a Oil cooler add on for the scoot. Could try and find a stock 150 oil cooler as well ? just a thought
the buddy 150 comes with an oil cooler stock, if I recall. it doesn't really fit on the 125. Don't remember the specifics but that's but I recall...
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

jijifer wrote:
Throwback7R wrote:I just installed the 171bbk on my 150 with the NCY head. Also, scooterworks offers a Oil cooler add on for the scoot. Could try and find a stock 150 oil cooler as well ? just a thought
the buddy 150 comes with an oil cooler stock, if I recall. it doesn't really fit on the 125. Don't remember the specifics but that's but I recall...
You can make it fit but it takes a lot of messing around with the center stand
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
viney266

Post by viney266 »

That is nice life on a big bore kit. do it again and keep smiling. I saw a dyno graph somewhere and it looked like the head was worth doing , too
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I have ridden with jijifer and can attest that she didn't baby this kit. She RIDES LIKE HELL and is a great rider to boot. I'm sure someone taking it easier on the engine might get more life out of it, but there's always that exchange when modifying — speed and performance for longevity. If you're going to be THAT soft on the engine, keep it stock! :)

My head can only contain so much these days but a mechanic and I were comparing the NCY cooler to the stock (different fitting and placement) and I'm pretty sure he said the stock cooler could go on the 125s.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

ericalm wrote:My head can only contain so much these days but a mechanic and I were comparing the NCY cooler to the stock (different fitting and placement) and I'm pretty sure he said the stock cooler could go on the 125s.
I'm pretty sure we're talking to the same mechanic. :-)
The NCY oil cooler that you were looking at might have been the one that Aaron is installing on my scooter. He definitely told me that we could install a stock 150/170i oil cooler on the 125. I haven't seen his installation of the NCY oil cooler yet, but he said it went on without any issues - including not interfering with the centerstand. The trick was to use longer lines than the ones that come with the NCY kit.
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

Aww thanks Eric. I know a lot more has been learned in the 4 years I've had the kit.

The hardest part will be slowing down to break it in again :)
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

this is what was pulled out:

now to break-in the new one!
rick71454

Post by rick71454 »

Hello JiJifer:

I also put a 161cc Big Bore Kit on my Buddy 125.
Did you do anyting else to your buddy, such as in the carburetor?

Thanks
Rick71454
DCUNITED4LIFE

Post by DCUNITED4LIFE »

jijifer wrote:this is what was pulled out:

Woah! That's awesome....serious riding there, only my 2-strokes look that caked with carbon normally.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

DCUNITED4LIFE wrote:
jijifer wrote:this is what was pulled out:

Woah! That's awesome....serious riding there, only my 2-strokes look that caked with carbon normally.
That's what I was thinking...That Bi**h has been ridden hard!!!!!

Nice!
www.teamscootertrash.com

Robbie

Post by Robbie »

Wish a photo of the cylinder was offered.

Notice how clean the piston is around the outer edge of the crown?

Thats from oil passing the the rings.....the detergent cleans the outer edge of the piston and then gets burned.

So, that was your oil consumption.....either a worn bore or worn or stuck oil rings.

22K.....Try to imagine how many trips that little piston made up and down the bore.....then convert the stroke to feet, then miles......how many miles has that piston travelled in increments of just under two inches.

I know, sick, but the old mechanic in me continues to be amazed.

Rob
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Robbie wrote:
22K.....Try to imagine how many trips that little piston made up and down the bore.....then convert the stroke to feet, then miles......how many miles has that piston travelled in increments of just under two inches.

Rob
Oh crap...now I'm actually going to have to do this!
www.teamscootertrash.com

Robbie

Post by Robbie »

BuddyRaton wrote:
Robbie wrote:

Rob
Oh crap...now I'm actually going to have to do this!
Kinda touph when a CVT is involved.....gotta work with averages.

So, using the industry hourmeter average of 32 (mph) you must determine what RPM the engine is at at that speed.
Fom there, take the rpm times the stroke X two.....that number equals inches of piston travel per minute......convert to feet.....convert to miles....and you end up with a amazing number.

Brain only smokes for a few minutes.

Rob
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

California has some awesome roads for WOT pretty much as long as I want to be in the saddle. I've never done more than 300 miles in a day, I don't think. But since my oil always needed checking and topped off since getting the kit we knew I was running her hot from the word go. the other beautiful built-in stop and smell the rose feature is that smallish gas tank. When I'm kitted and WOT, I'm not getting much more that 60mpg (is my guess, maybe worse) so I stop, stretch, hydrate, every couple of hours. That has kept my buddy healthy as long as it did.

I put on 20k in two years and slowed way down for the last 6.7k in two years, pulling her out mostly for epic adventures rather than around town.

That's gonna change me thinks, I need to break her in before Amerivespa. Need to replace some other old parts too.

to the fella asking what else I have:

Big Bore Kit (161cc) Prima pipe, Stock 150 head

NCY racing transmission

NCY front and back shocks

NCY big brake.

Pretty much the bionic buddy! I had a gasket leak into the transmission around 24k and maybe that took some of the life out of the tranny? I was told 50% of life was gone :(

those shocks (rear for sure) need to be replaced. So bit by bit I'm going bionic again. May either go back to stock variator or would try Dr. Pulley. Won't do NCY again. Didn't see a lot of diff either. Know that performance parts wear faster but I got 22k out of that shock, too. So not so bad :)
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

I run the stock variator with a 125 to 161 and that thing will wheelie right out from under you if your not careful!

I agree with the stock head...I'm not sold on the big head due to heat...but I may be persuaded by a good argument!
www.teamscootertrash.com

jijifer

Post by jijifer »

BuddyRaton wrote:I run the stock variator with a 125 to 161 and that thing will wheelie right out from under you if your not careful!

I agree with the stock head...I'm not sold on the big head due to heat...but I may be persuaded by a good argument!
note it's a stock 150 head - so bigger valves. When I got this the NCY head wasn't out yet but being dyno tested and the kit worked SOOOO much better with. I was able to buy a Buddy 150 head off them so I could have the better performance.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Think that might be why you were running hot. I'm thinking of sticking with the stock 125 head, polishing the valves, adding oil cooler and tour tank for CBR. Probably also install temp sensor.
www.teamscootertrash.com

jijifer

Post by jijifer »

BuddyRaton wrote:Think that might be why you were running hot. I'm thinking of sticking with the stock 125 head, polishing the valves, adding oil cooler and tour tank for CBR. Probably also install temp sensor.
There wasn't an oil cooler option originally. I will likely put one on now.
Throwback7R

Post by Throwback7R »

I just installed the BBK on my 150 also the NCY trans kit.. the kit is way nicer than the old rollers and belt.. might as well do the belt as well.
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

Throwback7R wrote:I just installed the BBK on my 150 also the NCY trans kit.. the kit is way nicer than the old rollers and belt.. might as well do the belt as well.
i solely rock dr pulley sliders. 11g, I believe. 12g was too sluggish off the line. sliders last FOREVER - well a super long time compared to rollers.