What am I missing? Kymco Like 200i vs 2014 Piaggio Fly

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

RoaringTodd

What am I missing? Kymco Like 200i vs 2014 Piaggio Fly

Post by RoaringTodd »

Kymco Like 200i
Piaggio 2014 Fly

Both have EFI, '12 wheels, and similar engine size.

Like 200i brags disc brakes on both, Fly, remains to see if rear is a drum.

Same pricing. (below 3k retail)

Only big thing I see is the 2 year warranty on the Kymco.

What am I missing?

Is the only difference the "style" and the "feel" of it?

Those two have everything I am looking for in my next scooter.
Last edited by RoaringTodd on Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Ergonomics? I can see why you can't decide... both good scoots, both around the same $$$.. Which one is better quality in the long term? Did you get to test drive them? That might help considerably....
brianwheelies

Post by brianwheelies »

Piaggio is dual disc as well.
ScooterMASS

Post by ScooterMASS »

The Piaggio Fly 150cc according to my local dealer in Boston dealer (Vespa Boston) say's the "Fly" is carbureted & has rear drum brakes. I'm I missing something here? The Kymco Like 200i is FI with front & rear disc brakes with a 2-year warranty.
anthony

Post by anthony »

ScooterMASS wrote:The Piaggio Fly 150cc according to my local dealer in Boston dealer (Vespa Boston) say's the "Fly" is carbureted & has rear drum brakes. I'm I missing something here? The Kymco Like 200i is FI with front & rear disc brakes with a 2-year warranty.
Todd is referring to next year's model, which hasn't been released yet.
ScooterMASS

Post by ScooterMASS »

anthony wrote:
ScooterMASS wrote:The Piaggio Fly 150cc according to my local dealer in Boston dealer (Vespa Boston) say's the "Fly" is carbureted & has rear drum brakes. I'm I missing something here? The Kymco Like 200i is FI with front & rear disc brakes with a 2-year warranty.
Todd is referring to next year's model, which hasn't been released yet.
OK..Cool. When will that be released to the USA?
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

Get the Fly. Or a Piaggio Typhoon. Otherwise you will miss them both while riding a Like.
Riding is riding
ScooterMASS

Post by ScooterMASS »

JHScoot wrote:Get the Fly. Or a Piaggio Typhoon. Otherwise you will miss them both while riding a Like.
Blind Faith I guess...Let's see FI vs. carb, Rear drum vs. disc, 1-year warranty vs. 2-year & the Like 200i is $200.00 less @ retail. Not to mention that Piaggio isn't shy about there fees. You make the call.
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

I've ridden both.

I think I would take the Like over the Fly. The Fly felt 'cheap' to due to it's dash design and plastics.

The power of the Like was also better and it comes with a top box which is a bonus.

And the Like kinda has that Lambretta knock-off look to it that tickles my fancy.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

ScooterMASS wrote:
JHScoot wrote:Get the Fly. Or a Piaggio Typhoon. Otherwise you will miss them both while riding a Like.
Blind Faith I guess...Let's see FI vs. carb, Rear drum vs. disc, 1-year warranty vs. 2-year & the Like 200i is $200.00 less @ retail. Not to mention that Piaggio isn't shy about there fees. You make the call.
Well he posted 2014 Fly. And I would take it over the Like without hesitation or regret. The Like doesn't compare favorably with this in more then a few ways:

http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic110109

As a small scooter it beats the Like for practicality. And it looks better, too. Also, scooters did run great before EFI, as you know. I mean, how must we have gotten along all those years ago!? My scooters run great with a carb. EFI is hardly a selling point for many.

That 2014 Fly is just more practical scooter, better scooter for the money. Yet still a small scooter. I don't live well with top cases and the Fly means I need none. I prefer vast under seat storage to EFI tbh. My guess is in the real world it outperforms the "200" of the Like, too. And the ergo's of the Like are wonky for more then a few. Myself included.

And since I am posting Piaggio, the Typhoon is also a bad ass small scooter. It's 125 is said to be one of the punchier around with good top end, too. In it's class I would take either of these scooters over the Like. And I think a good argument could be made as to why at this time they are better values, also. But I won't do that. They are obviously more desirable scooters for the scooter rider imo.

I should mention I like the Like. But...c'mon now!!

Riding is riding
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

The like wins in price simply because Piaggio screws you in fees. When I bought my Agility, it was originally a debate between the like, fly and buddy. The price of the Fly was nice, and the quality was pretty good. But, when we got to the table they ended up tacking up another $1500 in fees and taxes alone. This meant I was looking at over $4200 for an entry level scooter! And they insisted that it was he best deal in the valley.

The Kymco was a bargain. $2500 plus fees just under $400. But, the quality of the like was lacking. The plastic seemed flimsier than the Fly, and I honestly did not get a chance to test ride the fly (the dealer did not allow test rides for the Piaggio). And, the like creaked and flexed the moment I sat on it. It was not very confidence inspiring. Also, there were many reports by Like owners that the 200cc bike (more like 160cc's) was actually slower than the fly and even the lower classed Agility

So, my decision? A Kymco Agility 125. Believe it or not, the plastic was thicker, it was peppier and had WAY more legroom. And, the price out the door? $2130.
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

^

well i agree with you, there. i would not pay much of a premium for a Fly or Typhoon over a Like. a few hundred, tops. $400 limit for me over the price of the bike, tax / DMV. same for the Like. MAYBE $500 for a good dealer.

idc the Piaggio brand or engine. if a particular scooter is too pricey other choices become available.

for instance if a 150 is not needed an Elite 110 gives a rider much of what the Fly 150 would without the top end and quite the mid range. but its more then enough for around town, and deals can be had i have read

Riding is riding
brianwheelies

Post by brianwheelies »

Piaggio is dual disc as well.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Todd is talking about the 2014 Fly 150 with the new 3 valve engine that is to be released in a few weeks. All your responses are about older models of the Fly. Buy what you want, ride what you want. Everything I have heard says the new Fly is worth a look when it comes out. The same is true of the new LX 150 with the 3V engine when it is released later in the year.

http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic110109?highlight=
Last edited by Dooglas on Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Also, the Like 200i is actually only 163cc's. So don't mistakenly think you are talking about a 200cc scooter here.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

For what it is worth, the information I can find says that the Like 200i engine is rated at 11.3 hp and the new 3V Piaggio engine is rated at 12.9 hp.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Dooglas wrote:Todd is talking about the 2014 Fly 150 with the new 3 valve engine that is to be released in a few weeks. All your responses are about older models of the Fly. Buy what you want, ride what you want. Everything I have heard says the new Fly is worth a look when it comes out. The same is true of the new LX 150 with the 3V engine when it is released later in the year.

http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic110109?highlight=
I don't think anyone is discounting the Fly's quality. It's the price that is prohibitive... or at least the "fees" they attach. The fees alone are almost 50% of the value of the entire bike's MSRP
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

i don't think anyone is mistaking anything for anything in this thread. everything is pretty clear, we all know scooters fairly well. at least those discussing 'em

also pretty sure my entire second post was about the 2014 Fly 150 with a link to MV for the same. it would seem a scooter of great value if prices are kept reasonable by dealers.

i mean yeah ride what you ride, but discussion of value and pros and cons is still valid and helpful to some. especially among scooters in the same class and price point.
Riding is riding
ScooterMASS

Post by ScooterMASS »

Does anyone know what the MSRP will be on the 2014 Piaggio Fly? If they keep the price reasonable & it has 3 valves, FI & dual disc brakes, it's sounds good. But as others mentioned, Vespa/Piaggio dealers try & squeeze you for fees.

I love the look of the BV350, but in the end, they simply wanted too much for an OTD price. It blows away the looks of my GTI300 IMHO.

EDIT: Just found the link & the same retail price @ $2899.00. Wow...That's pretty solid. This scooter will be hard to beat.
Alexbv200
Dealer

Post by Alexbv200 »

Fly will get 130 MPG and also 6k service intervals.
Not a typo... 130 mpg... this will beat ANY scooter in its class.
Fly will have also a seat under 30 inches.
A large amount of storage space under the seat as the gas tank has been moved to the floor board.
You can extend the one year warranty and the one year 24 hour Roadside assistance to 3 years total on the Fly.

This will be the best bike for the money... no other bikes in its class and price will offer so much stuff.

Sure there are some fees that have to be added (just like when you buy a new car!), but if you think all Kymco dealers don't charge these, you are dreaming. In the end, with the longer service intervals, Fuel Injection and better gas mileage, the Fly will still be more economical.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

ScooterMASS wrote: But as others mentioned, Vespa/Piaggio dealers try & squeeze you for fees.
Probably a bit of a generalization. Sure, there are dealers (of any brand - and most dealers sell several) that try to tack on unnecessary fees. So walk away from them and deal with an honest one. I did not pay a bunch of add on fees with the purchase of my BV 350, or any other bike I have purchased for that matter. I have read about OTD prices for Buddys on this site that made me role my eyes however. I think it is fair to say that the MSRP on Piaggio branded scooters in the US such as the Typhoon, Fly, and BV are quite competitive when stacked up against comparable Kymcos, Syms, and Genuines. (And a heck of a lot less expensive than Vespas :wink: )
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

wow oh wow. I just took my first real good look at the 2014 Fly and to say I am impressed would be accurate. this is defiantly MY kind of scooter :)

all the mechanical nonsense aside, this is a nicely done scooter imo. leave it to Piaggio, right? the color is blue so meh, but here are some pics

http://www.flickr.com//photos/scootersa ... 8088/show/

i like its modern styling but classic design. it looks more dynamic then the current Fly. i especially like the tail and rear section. you know, the part under the riders seat? it looks sharp, but the entire scooter still looks "classic scooter" imo.

this might be my idea of the perfect modern scooter if its as good as it seems. all that storage, good looks, classic design, modern mechanicals and tech, and its a 150. if i were buying today and it suited me i would buy one, pretty sure

talk price OTD? if its as good as it sounds i would go $3600 otd on the 2014 Fly

might even squeeze just a bit more from me, too :shock:
Riding is riding
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Sometimes it is difficult to talk OTD for comparison as additional costs vary from state to state. Transportation usually is what it is. Dealer setup charge includes some real costs to the dealer but is usually somewhat negotiable. Registration and licensing varies quite a bit from state to state and is sometimes not even included in OTD costs. Sales tax is completely a state issue. In my state no sales tax, so that does not even make the list :wink: . Thus OTD can easily vary by several hundred dollars before we even get to whether the dealer will cut you a little slack.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

i just don't see paying $4,000 plus for a 150cc scooter. maybe its because i have been looking at motorcycles and see what $4,000 give or take can get you. BUT, this scooter is worth something for the daily urban commuter imo. just depends on how much you intend to ride it, i suppose?

ok, its just a scooter. but to say i have not been excited like this about one in my short scooting life would be right.

i mean, all that scooter AND storage? is it ever ok to drool over storage? it is if it serves a zippy little scoot!

this is everything the newer Elite 150 could have been had it been a 150. and more imo. the Elite looks blah, too. this does not

idk what dealers will want or where, but i can see myself paying a small premium for this as an accompanying bike to my upcoming MC purchase. i mean i am not ready to toss my Agility aside, or BJ. but down the road, i get ideas :)

just seems it would be a very easy to live with scoot
Riding is riding
anthony

Post by anthony »

On the contrary, while I was excited to hear about all the updates to the '14 model, if that's what it will look like, I'll take the Like any day over it. I already thought the earlier models were kind of boring and uninspired, but this new model looks even more generic to me.
TroutBum

Post by TroutBum »

I own a Kymco Like, but its ergonomics isn't for everyone. I have a 31" inseam so the scooter fits me fine, but go beyond 32" and your knees hit the steering unit due to the height of the floorboard. Had the Fly 2014 came out in 2013 instead I would have seriously considered it. The Fly has an mpg of up to 130, service intervals of 6,000 miles. The Like gets between 70 and 80 mpg, oil changes are required every 1,200 miles due to the use of a wire screen mesh for a filter. Those are some nice reasons to consider the Fly.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

anthony wrote:On the contrary, while I was excited to hear about all the updates to the '14 model, if that's what it will look like, I'll take the Like any day over it. I already thought the earlier models were kind of boring and uninspired, but this new model looks even more generic to me.
i agree on the previous model being uninspired. but it was in the details of the styling. with this model it seems it's fixed. if you removed the badges any scooterist would know it's a Fly. but now it has the creases and lines and adornment that make it less bland

"generic?" well it's a scooter. most scooters are. i don't see anything original about it, but it is a Fly. no mistaking it. so i see it as an evolution, as they say. of the modern scooter. i just think the styling of this scooter evokes both old and new and Piaggio has moved the modern small scooter forward, a bit. certainly raised the bar a bit. these are "big" small scooters, too. i like that. and the look is still european

and what isn't generic in scooters? what should they resemble? it certainly does not look chinese or japanese. its identity is intact. this evolves the previous Fly it would seem. it remains true to that scooter. and i just think the whole thing looks sharp. the last one was like an unfinished sketch. this seems to finish the job

thats just how i see it. and i really was not a fan before. but the potential seems to have been reached imo
Riding is riding
anthony

Post by anthony »

whoa there, taste is subjective, and I just wanted to give an alternate opinion. I'm not really sure what the statement 'most scooters are generic' means, but when I do a google image search with the term "chinese scooter", a lot of similarly-styled scooters come up, whereas I see much fewer that resemble, for example, a Buddy or Like. there are differences, of course, but it just looks very generically no-name scooter to me. just my opinion though!
Alex P

Post by Alex P »

MSRP on a new FLY 150 is $2899. Piaggio's freight costs can be annoying, depending on what part of the country you're in, but a lot of dealers are willing to move on those to get a bike out the door.
Rusty J

Post by Rusty J »

JHScoot wrote:wow oh wow. I just took my first real good look at the 2014 Fly and to say I am impressed would be accurate. this is defiantly MY kind of scooter :)

all the mechanical nonsense aside, this is a nicely done scooter imo. leave it to Piaggio, right? the color is blue so meh, but here are some pics

http://www.flickr.com//photos/scootersa ... 8088/show/

i like its modern styling but classic design. it looks more dynamic then the current Fly. i especially like the tail and rear section. you know, the part under the riders seat? it looks sharp, but the entire scooter still looks "classic scooter" imo.

this might be my idea of the perfect modern scooter if its as good as it seems. all that storage, good looks, classic design, modern mechanicals and tech, and its a 150. if i were buying today and it suited me i would buy one, pretty sure

talk price OTD? if its as good as it sounds i would go $3600 otd on the 2014 Fly

might even squeeze just a bit more from me, too :shock:
As a Caucasian, let me say that's a pretty Fly for a white guy!

Not sure I'd trade in my orange S150 on it, but I could see getting one as a second bike in the family.

And, I happen to like the blue color of that Fly.