Fuse again: cigarette lighter

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Stormswift

Fuse again: cigarette lighter

Post by Stormswift »

Front cover is off. Fuse in my hand......but where is the darn fuse box? Feeling totally stupid...... :oops: Dealer pointed at approx. location with front cover on but I have no idea where it actually is because I don't t know what to look for. ....
Last edited by Stormswift on Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

Feeling even stupider, considering box had a lable that said 1A. It ook a bit of time to work up caurage to use tiny screwdriver as leverage to open it. Rest was piece of cake . Discovered lots of thing that can be connected and disconnected while I was browsing. It is interesting but does not look too complicated. Should know if all's well once replacement battery finishes charging tomorrow
I am not a scooter snob.
Beamster

Post by Beamster »

What would a sigarette be?
Anyone take English in school anymore?
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

Beamster wrote:What would a sigarette be?
Anyone take English in school anymore?
spellos :oops: . It is worse with tablet
I am not a scooter snob.
HowHH

Post by HowHH »

Glad you found it. I have run a 3A fuse in mine for past couple years with no evidence of any issues. Insulation on the wires looks fine with no indication of overload. I went to a 3A fuse so I could run heated gloves off the 12V accessory outlet.
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

Interestingly, I got 2A at the dealers. As we were talking the mechanic suggested not charging the battery via cigarette. lighter. I certainly will not but will have to figure out if the permanent leads the original dealer installed could be connected to the battery at the same time as the regular square leads are. The access is under the belly of the bike. I''ve never used the permanent charging leads but I would like to use them instead of the cigarette lighter to feed the battery during the week without taking it out.
I am not a scooter snob.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Stormswift wrote:Interestingly, I got 2A at the dealers. As we were talking the mechanic suggested not charging the battery via cigarette. lighter. I certainly will not but will have to figure out if the permanent leads the original dealer installed could be connected to the battery at the same time as the regular square leads are. The access is under the belly of the bike. I''ve never used the permanent charging leads but I would like to use them instead of the cigarette lighter to feed the battery during the week without taking it out.
I have used the accessory outlet for my Battery Tender with no issues. Not sure why your mechanic would recommend against it.

I have also had the permanent leads installed in the battery compartment (before I bought the accessory outlet adaptor) and it does work. There will be some moving around of the lead wires to make them fit in the small space of the battery compartment and then what I did was to zip tie the end of the lead (the part the charger will plug into) to the scooter frame so it is just peeking out and easy enough to connect.

But it's much easier via the accessory outlet :)
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Ditto. Volts is volts, amps is amps, and the cig jack goes straight to the battery. As long as you're using a proper charger like the BTJr, it will work safely and reliably on even the stock 1A fuse. No stooping required.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
HowHH

Post by HowHH »

Same here. I've used the 12v accessory outlet for the past 2+ years to charge the battery. The Battery Tender Jr works great for this. It's output is .75A, so should even work without a problem with the original 1A fuse.
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

New battery is working perfectly: bike started after sitting for a week.This was deliberate: I wanted to see if it would hold charge and it did. So I just pulled the cigarette lighter attachment and plugged in the Tender Jr to do a little feeding. Keeeps it healthy and me riding happy :lol:
I am not a scooter snob.