Like 200I

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

mverps

Like 200I

Post by mverps »

Does anyone on here have a Kymco Like 200I, and if you do what are your thoughts on this scooter? I am looking to buy a new scooter and am torn with all the options out there, I like the Buddy 170I, and also the Stella, But for some reason I keep looking at the Like.

thanks to anyone with any info. :)
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

Well I have ridden one, and I would buy the Buddy, less confusion. R
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

The 200i is a nice package but it is actually only a 163cc scooter. Keep that in mind while making your decision.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
TroutBum

Post by TroutBum »

Back in July of last year I was ready to buy a scooter. After doing my research I was set to buy a Buddy 170. When the dealer called and said they had them back in stock I immediately went over with the idea of bring one home. After seeing it live and sitting on it I knew it wasn't the scooter for me. The scooter was too small almost toy-like in my opinion. My shoe (size 10) just fit the floorboard and I felt locked-in like being strapped to a snowboard. Try riding 25 miles with your feet locked in one position - very uncomfortable. I left the dealer, but not before noticing a Kymco Like 200i. I inquired of the salesman and he gave me a walk-thru of the scooter. I was impressed, but wanted to do some research to be certain. A few days later I returned and bought the Kymco.

I have now had my Like for more than 8 months and 2,400 miles. The engine responds quickly and once the odometer reaches 2,000 miles you can WOT at about 62 mph. Gas mileage has been great. My average mpg is in the high 70s. The scooter rides well, but like most scooter the suspense is nowhere as refined as a modern day motorcycle. Still a smooth riding machine. Braking is good as the Like has both front and rear disk brakes.

The Like does have it ergonomic issue with the floorboard height according to several reviews I've read. I have a 31" inseam and find the riding ergonomics perfect and can flat foot the scooter at a stop. In the reviews some claim that those with a 32" inseam have little clearance with the leg shield. I am suspect of that claim as with my 31" inseam there seems to be a few inches of clearance.

The Like gets smoother with each passing mile. It's sweet spot seems to be in the 25-50 mph range.

The Like does lack an oil filter opting for a wire screen which equates to more and frequent oil changes. The manuals shows service intervals of approximately 1,200 miles. But oil is relatively cheap for a quart (oil changes require slightly less than one quart) and changes are very easy to perform.

I have had one issue with the scooter and that is with the Kymco OEM battery. The first one went bad within the first 4 months. The second one was dead at replacement. My dealer has since replaced it under warranty with a Yuasa battery and so far so good.

Oh and the clock/date feature is odd. Sometimes the hour of 12 shows as 00. The date once sets will soon jump ahead one day. I tried tricking it by setting the date a day earlier than it was and still it jumped ahead by a day of actual. Only the month of March 2013 has the clock/date function worked as it should. Very strange. :?

I hope this helps. Please feel free to ask me specific questions. I'll answer them if I can.

p.s. I hope no one was offended by my assessment of the Buddy 170. I meant no offense to anyone. I just wanted to give my experience on how I came to owning a Like.
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

The Stella has a "learning curve" that will take some time to master but its a good bike but is the slowest of the three. The 170i is nimble, quick for it's size, and a much easier machine to learn. Almost deceptively simple. If your a taller person, (and I'm just throwing this out there), like 6' 7" it may not be a good fit but if your normal sized, you shouldn't have any trouble. I'm 5' 11" with a size 11 foot and can ride mine no problem. The Like has more leg room, is a little slower than the 170i (but not much) but it's still a good bike. I say sit on all three and then decide. Are you new to bikes in general or have you ridden others before? That question can really let us know more about where your comming from. Good luck and I know you'll like what ever you choose.
P.S. @TroutBum: I don't think you were bashing the 170i. If it didn't feel right to you then thats o.k. I'm just glad you found a scoot that your happy with...
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

Everything that Troutbum said is spot on, with the exception of the battery, i've yet to have any issues with my 200i and i've got over 7,000 miles on it.

I've got a 2012 Like "200" I. My girlfriend has a Buddy 125. I think both scoots have their pros and cons. For the $$$ the Like is a lot of scooter for the money, sure it's not really 200cc, and shame on Kymco for naming it that, but you do get fuel injection, disc brakes front and back, dual adjustable rear suspension and tons of storage.

My girlfriend and I usually take the scoots out on the weekends and both trade up at some point. We both have the same opinions; the Like is heavier, had better brakes, pick up, suspension, which all ads up to better at higher speeds, it' doesn't bounce around as much. It's also is great for riding 2up. We've taken 100+ mile day trips on the like, sure it gets a little cramped, but it's more than a capable bike for the task.

The buddy is more comfortable, has better handling at lower speeds (more fun), is very peppy at lower speeds, but has a rougher ride and the brakes are a less impressive (you can blame that on the "almost useless" rear drum). We've never tried to ride 2up on the Buddy because... well... it's very small. But for zipping around the city solo it can't be beat.

As for accessories you can get all sorts for the Buddy, the Like... not so much. Another point to make is if you want to work on your own scoot, the Buddy is way more user friendly. To get down to the bones you don't have to remove nearly as many panels as you do on the Like. The like is like a puzzle box sometime, as where the buddy is "remove 4 screws and your'e there".

I dunno, it's a tough call. We love both of our scoots. But if I had to choose again... i'd probably go with a Buddy 170i. That thing just HAS to be fun.
mverps

Like 200I

Post by mverps »

thanks everyone for your replies, A little history and information of me. I am 5'9", weigh 210, with short legs (29" inseam.) I have ridden both motorcycles and scooters in the past, My last scooter was a Bajaj Chetak, so I am familiar with the shifting on the Stella. I have missed riding the scooter from the day someone talked me into selling it to them.
Like I said thanks for the info, I will hopefully be ready to buy in another month or so. Any other observations would be appreciated.
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

Chetaks Rock! R
scootnwinn

Post by scootnwinn »

still shifting wrote:Chetaks Rock! R
I'm looking for something like a Cheetak and I know there is a guy here in NM that has a couple. What kind of top end are you getting? Sorry for the thread jacking but it's somewhat related...
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

55 plus my 2002 would deliver 59 0n flat ground with a long run @ it... Check out Blue Smoke Garage in Abq. R
scootnwinn

Post by scootnwinn »

Thanks. They are 4T right?
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

You could also check out the Piaggio Fly 2014. They have a lot of the specs of the Like 200i but with a more modern engine.
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

No offense taken. You should ask questions before buying any scoot. The
Stella is a well built machine, if you are into shifting it is a great buy. I traded mine back in for a 170i but only because arthritus in my left arm made shifting difficult. The 170i, according to the owners manual, produces 168.9
cc. Still breaking mine in but can tell you that it is a fast unit, powerful. It
is light unit, 234 lb.,definately a sport scoot. Handles great. I am 6'1", 185
lb., 32"inseam but am comfortable so far as my size 11 shoes are concerned.
If I have stuff to get I use my TGB Del 150 or my sidecar. For fun, the 170i.
Try any out for comfort and size and if possible ride one before buying, no
matter what you choose. You are getting great input from these guys. :D