MSF...Positive vibes please...

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Jenn L

MSF...Positive vibes please...

Post by Jenn L »

I've been doing my MSF this week. Classroom was no problem. Then came yesterday's riding.....ummmm....not so hot! The only thing I've ridden two-wheeled before was a bicycle. I'm doing the MSF on a motorcycle, and I've never even driven a manual car! Once I get going, I'm ok, but the whole clutch and shifting.... let's just say I spent a lot of time in tears. One instructor was super nice, and treated me like she wanted me to get it, not just mad that I came in there less than expert. Anyway, it's going to take all my courage even to go back there so I need all the positive vibes I can get that I even pass!!! It has me so stressed that I'm re-thinking the whole scooter thing altogether, which is a bummer in and of itself. :(
TVB

Post by TVB »

Don't let the cussed shiftiness of a motorcycle make you rethink the scooter. The riding test is just an obstacle you need to get past to get there, and I'm sure you'll be fine once you do.

The rules vary, but it's worth asking if you can do the riding test on a scooter, since that's what you'll be riding.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

I'm not sure driving a manual shift car gives you all that much insight into a manual shift motorcycle or scooter anyway. Just calm down and take it methodically. Like so much else in life, the main problem is if you psych yourself out and become convinced you can't do it. Remember, we all want you to succeed :wink: .
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

Hang in there. And remember that this is just training. If you get it down and pass the test at the end of the course, then yes, you pass and have your license. But, if you don't, you go and you re-take the riding test at the license bureau on your scooter when you are ready.
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

bluebuddygirl wrote:Hang in there. And remember that this is just training. If you get it down and pass the test at the end of the course, then yes, you pass and have your license. But, if you don't, you go and you re-take the riding test at the license bureau on your scooter when you are ready.
And Relax, but yes "positive Vibes" too You on the Test. R
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

I know what your going through... I had a hard time with the riding part as well cos my foot kept getting stuck when I was trying to shift. When in doubt, pull in the clutch. At least you won't stall that way. It's not hard even though it seems so right now, but it becomes second nature. I'm sure you'll pass, just go into it calmly. See if you can ride your scoot in the class. I did it that way...Good Luck
Tazio

Post by Tazio »

MSF in the San Fernando Valley let me use my Buddy for the second session. Just needed proof of registration and insurance. If you haven't shifted before, it's a real hassle that detracts from the rest of the course which is more important. I had many 100's of thousands of miles shifting cars but the motorcycle they gave me was a real dog. I had no problem learning to shift my Ural when I got it last year.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Just rest assured you'll do better on the test than all the guys who are making fun of scooter riders and bragging about their harleys and hayabusas, saying their wives are making them take the class. If you care about learning to ride the right way, and your mind is open, you're already miles ahead of the boneheads that don't think they need the experience or guidance.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

The main value of MSF is learning to think differently about safety and being a rider, sharing the road with motorists who often forget we are there. Not passing riding portion of MSF on a motoorcycle is not the end of the world. If you want to ride you will. MSF is not there to teach us how to ride. They reach basic shifting , stopping , turning etc . Motorcycle endorcement in many cases such as yours and mine is not a certificate of profficiency. It lets you legally ride to nearest empty parking lot where you can start practicing and learning to ride. MSF was where i realized I needed a bike with automatic transmission (aka a scooter).
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
hg3

Post by hg3 »

I was able to use a scooter [they provided] in MSF and that was in Northern California just 7 months ago.

You will be fine - just take the class anyway. If need be, they let you repeat if necessary.
Jenn L

Post by Jenn L »

Thank you so much everyone! Well..... I passed!!!! I wasn't perfect but I had points to spare. I was surprised at the improvement from yesterday to today -- for everyone not just me. I passed and huge relief! Now on to the real practicing on my own lil Buddy!
Wild Handyman

Post by Wild Handyman »

JennL, congratulations! Now relax and have fun.
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

Congradulations! 8) R
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Yey!!! You did it.. Now post a pic of your sweet, sweet ride cos we love pics.... :P
Stilts

Post by Stilts »

Jenn L wrote:Thank you so much everyone! Well..... I passed!!!! I wasn't perfect but I had points to spare. I was surprised at the improvement from yesterday to today -- for everyone not just me. I passed and huge relief! Now on to the real practicing on my own lil Buddy!
Congrats!

There were a number of people in my class who all of a sudden "got it" on the second day; one of them even passed the riding test with a perfect score! Regardless, you did it! YAY!
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

Yes! Congratulations. I took the MSF class a few weeks ago, and had the same experience: rusty on Saturday, but neat in the saddle on Sunday.
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

I learned to shift motorcycles at the course but I also never owned an automatic vehicle before so I was ahead of the curve. Plenty of people at the course really struggled with shifting but the instructors expect that and it is a big part of the course!

When I took the test everyone passed but me, was having too much fun on the bike and so I went just a tad too fast :wink:

I don't know how things work in cali but in VA the course isn't a requirement so I simply ended up going to the DMV to take the test there on my Stella.
Papa Bear

Re: MSF...Positive vibes please...

Post by Papa Bear »

Jenn L wrote:I've been doing my MSF this week. Classroom was no problem. Then came yesterday's riding.....ummmm....not so hot! The only thing I've ridden two-wheeled before was a bicycle. I'm doing the MSF on a motorcycle, and I've never even driven a manual car! Once I get going, I'm ok, but the whole clutch and shifting.... let's just say I spent a lot of time in tears. One instructor was super nice, and treated me like she wanted me to get it, not just mad that I came in there less than expert. Anyway, it's going to take all my courage even to go back there so I need all the positive vibes I can get that I even pass!!! It has me so stressed that I'm re-thinking the whole scooter thing altogether, which is a bummer in and of itself. :(
DEFINITELY DO IT!! I'm 62 yrs old, got my first scooter last year. Told my wife and college aged kids they could use it ONLY if they took the class. This was no small thing as my wife is a trauma & transplant RN for 30 yrs. Only my wife had ever driven a manual. Non had ever been on a bike.

They all did it and each is THRILLED that they did. The sense of fun and accomplishment was palpable around here. My wife tells people she's a motorcycle mama, my daughter (5' 105 lbs) says she's "BBBBAAADDDDD" and I have to fight my son for it.

Bite the bullet and do it. Even if you don't buy something right away, you'll feel great for having conquered it.
Jenn L

Post by Jenn L »

I'm so glad I didn't give up...proud of myself for sticking with it and for doing something WAY outside my comfort zone. My bf keeps calling me motorcycle mama lol. I think what helped is I told myself if I fail, I fail. I have learned the safe riding skills, which was the point of taking the class. Then I would have just practiced on my Buddy and then taken the test at the DMV. Now I *still* have to practice.....just without that darn DMV looming over my head.
Jenn L

Post by Jenn L »

Drum Pro wrote:Yey!!! You did it.. Now post a pic of your sweet, sweet ride cos we love pics.... :P
Here's me with my Buddy (still need to find a name that fits...Bf calls her Scooty Doo). This is the night it was delivered.... which is why there's no gear, I was only standing there, not actually riding.

theflash784

MSF Course

Post by theflash784 »

Congratz on passing the course and getting your new scooter. Here's hoping for plenty of miles and only smiles!