Stowing gear in the summer

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

slotrod65

Stowing gear in the summer

Post by slotrod65 »

Yesterday I took a trip to the mall on my Stella. It was 75 degrees, and warm, so I wore my Go-go armored hoodie. When I got there, I had to schlep around that hoodie everywhere I went. Come summertime, this will definitely not be fun.

So, how do you safely store your gear while out and about?

I have a rear rack with a Prima basket, but I do not want to add a hard case.

Any ideas?
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

Some people get a wire lock, thread it through the sleeves of a jacket, through the chinbar of a fullface helmet, and lock them to the bike.
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

That could work! Thanks!
TVB

Post by TVB »

Most of the time if I go someplace where I can't keep the jacket on, and I don't have a place to stash it, I take my chances and just hang it on the grocery hook. I rarely park the scooter someplace where I'm particularly worried about something happening to it.

If the place I'm going isn't too far away, and I know I'm going to be there a while, I'll sometimes just wear a regular jacket that I can stuff into the helmet... a measured risk: better than nothing, for a short ride.
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

Cable lock. Luggage stores sell some pretty small ones.
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

How flexible is the armor? Can you stuff it in the glovebox?

If I'm not wearing my armor I drape it over the mirrors. I've never had anything bad happen to it there.
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

The cable lock sounds like a good idea. I could run it through a sleeve, then put the jacket in the basket, and lock it through the rear rack.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Well, I put it in the hard case. But if you don't want one of those, you can always just drape it across the seat. I see a lot of motorcycles with gear just laying on them when I'm out and about!

Heck, I was travelling across country on my Buddy and left it parked with my backpack bungied to the seat outside the store for an hour. Went back outside and found out I had left the keys in the ignition to boot! And that was in Dallas too. Sometimes people are just trustworthy.
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
TVB

Post by TVB »

pugbuddy wrote:Heck, I was travelling across country on my Buddy and left it parked with my backpack bungied to the seat outside the store for an hour. Went back outside and found out I had left the keys in the ignition to boot! And that was in Dallas too. Sometimes people are just trustworthy.
I've done that a few times over the years. I wouldn't go so far as to say that people are "trustworthy", but generally they aren't all that interested in ripping you off.
anthony

Post by anthony »

pugbuddy wrote:Well, I put it in the hard case. But if you don't want one of those, you can always just drape it across the seat. I see a lot of motorcycles with gear just laying on them when I'm out and about!

Heck, I was travelling across country on my Buddy and left it parked with my backpack bungied to the seat outside the store for an hour. Went back outside and found out I had left the keys in the ignition to boot! And that was in Dallas too. Sometimes people are just trustworthy.
Even so, I have a nearly $200 Corazzo jacket that I'm not about to test people's trustworthiness with.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

This doesn't help on a Stella but on the Buddy I would often stuff the jacket under the seat and attach the helmet to the helmet hook.
Syd

Post by Syd »

I used to be able to use the handgrips like a coat hanger, with the back of the jacket covering the dash. Then I'd run a cable lock through the arms and down through the front wheel. But that jacket was a little large for me.
TVB wrote:
pugbuddy wrote:Heck, I was travelling across country on my Buddy and left it parked with my backpack bungied to the seat outside the store for an hour. Went back outside and found out I had left the keys in the ignition to boot! And that was in Dallas too. Sometimes people are just trustworthy.
I've done that a few times over the years. I wouldn't go so far as to say that people are "trustworthy", but generally they aren't all that interested in ripping you off.
Or oblivious.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

Like other said...
Run this through the sleeves and secure both ends on the helmet hook.
http://www.amazon.com/Kryptonite-720018 ... cable+loop
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Got a 6' braided wire cable with a padlock in the bicycle section at WalMart
last week for $2.59---yes, $2.50. It was the last one left. All the others
were $14.95 with combination locks. I will keep it in the saddle bags on my
170i. I have plenty of storage room on the other 2 in the stable. :D
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

Garage door cables are $7 pair. I believe the safety Spring cables are double ended. Available at home depot, hardware store etc. Also pet leads can be used as well. I used to chain down my mowing equipment with a 25' large breed dog tether. Cable is much more annoying to cut than chain. It can take a lot of fiddling around with bolt cutters just to get through the 1/8" garage door cables.
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Mine is almost a half inch thick and the padlock that came with it is one of the
toughest I have seen. What lovenmysan is spot on advise. :clap: