finding the battery on the 170i

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

misharens

finding the battery on the 170i

Post by misharens »

I'm pretty handy and this is embarrassing. Even though I rode at least once a month over the winter, last month I went to ride and the battery didn't have enough juice in it to start the scoot. Ordered a trickle charger and tried to hook it up last night.

I know what a battery looks like, I've jumped cars before and cleaned corroded battery terminals, etc. I'm not completely ignorant but I could not find the battery on my scoot. The manual wasn't much help. nothing on the battery except contact your local service dealership, but it did have a picture of the battery and how to remove the battery cover in the section on the fuse. Even with those pictures, I can't find the battery.

I did remove the bucket under the seat and in the right rear along the edge there seems to be two battery terminals connected to an invisible battery. If its there its a very skinny tall battery hidden by wire harnesses and tubes and pipes... Anyway, I hooked the trickle charger up to it and got the correct sequence of lights to show it was charging. This morning it was green, indicating it was charged, but I didn't have time to start the Buddy and see if it worked.

So I guess my questions are 3. I guess first, did I charge the real battery or some backup battery? second, why does the manual not match my scoot, or am I missing something major? is there a better resource out there instead of the manual? three, if this is the real battery and the manual just needs updating, why is it stuck in the most obscure place possible? Did Genuine Scooter get upset with too many people changing out batteries without the help of an authorized service dealership or something?
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

I don't own a buddy but I believe it may be under the floor of the scooter, not under the seat.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

pull up the floor mat and you'll see a trap door. use a screwdriver and open the door. you'll see the batter.
Thought I would reply before someone hit you with RTFM.
Which you should actually do, though. Edit - ah, I see you did actually RTFM! Never mind!
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
issue31

Post by issue31 »

:D Go to Battery's Plus and get a adapter for a Battery Tender Jr. and use the plug in on the left side of your Buddy where you would charge a cell phone. No more pulling up the mat and taking off the cover. Just plug it in to the cell phone adapter and you are all set to go. The Battery tender will not blow out the fuse ether.
misharens

Post by misharens »

Tocsik wrote:pull up the floor mat and you'll see a trap door. use a screwdriver and open the door. you'll see the batter.
Which you should actually do, though. Edit - ah, I see you did actually RTFM! Never mind!
The whole point of my question was that the manual didn't match what I was seeing. Maybe you should read the post before replying.
misharens

Post by misharens »

issue31 wrote::D Go to Battery's Plus and get a adapter for a Battery Tender Jr. and use the plug in on the left side of your Buddy where you would charge a cell phone. No more pulling up the mat and taking off the cover. Just plug it in to the cell phone adapter and you are all set to go. The Battery tender will not blow out the fuse ether.
Thank you, I will do this!
misharens

Re: finding the battery on the 170i

Post by misharens »

misharens wrote:I'm pretty handy and this is embarrassing. Even though I rode at least once a month over the winter, last month I went to ride and the battery didn't have enough juice in it to start the scoot. Ordered a trickle charger and tried to hook it up last night.

I know what a battery looks like, I've jumped cars before and cleaned corroded battery terminals, etc. I'm not completely ignorant but I could not find the battery on my scoot. The manual wasn't much help. nothing on the battery except contact your local service dealership, but it did have a picture of the battery and how to remove the battery cover in the section on the fuse. Even with those pictures, I can't find the battery.

I did remove the bucket under the seat and in the right rear along the edge there seems to be two battery terminals connected to an invisible battery. If its there its a very skinny tall battery hidden by wire harnesses and tubes and pipes... Anyway, I hooked the trickle charger up to it and got the correct sequence of lights to show it was charging. This morning it was green, indicating it was charged, but I didn't have time to start the Buddy and see if it worked.

So I guess my questions are 3. I guess first, did I charge the real battery or some backup battery? second, why does the manual not match my scoot, or am I missing something major? is there a better resource out there instead of the manual? three, if this is the real battery and the manual just needs updating, why is it stuck in the most obscure place possible? Did Genuine Scooter get upset with too many people changing out batteries without the help of an authorized service dealership or something?
I rechecked the manual twice and there was nothing about the battery being under the floor board. The scooter charged they way I did it. Thanks to everyone for the helpful tips for the future.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

misharens wrote:
Tocsik wrote:pull up the floor mat and you'll see a trap door. use a screwdriver and open the door. you'll see the batter.
The whole point of my question was that the manual didn't match what I was seeing. Maybe you should read the post before replying.
Yep. I re-read it. That's why I edited my reply.
Just tryin' to help.
Good luck.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Here's a link to a pdf of the manual you should have. Page 39 shows the battery compartment, but it's a pretty close-up picture so it is a little difficult to tell what part of the scooter you're looking at.

The manual is, as you've found out, not that helpful as it's poorly translated at best. But, just in case you were given the incorrect manual, I wanted to give you this link so you have the correct one!