Can't Turn Ignition

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

tommyred

Can't Turn Ignition

Post by tommyred »

I went to my weekly poker game last night, and when it was time to go home, I put the key in the ignition, and it won't turn at all. I don't know if its the locking mechanism of the steering, or the ignition, or even the key...

Anyone else ever have this problem?
The Reverend Wage
Ordained Dudeist Priest ☯�
Abide!
PIStaker

Could be a couple of reasons

Post by PIStaker »

I had similar issues. Turns out the shape of my key had be worn to the point that it wasn't the correct shape anymore.
If I "jiggled the handle" (very technical term) by wiggling the key in the ignition, and moving the handlebars back in forth it would work.
Before you go down the path of replacing anything, try your other key.
I used my wife's key and smooth sailing.
Easy fix.
I then ordered a couple of blanks from Scooterworks and had spares made.

...and before you waste a lot of time trying to find other blanks to use, don't. It will take some adjustments. Save yourself some time, and just pony up and get the correct one(s) from SW. :)
tommyred

Post by tommyred »

I wiggled the key, went home and got the factory key that I used for probably two days, hoping it was that, but it wasn't.

It would push in and turn to the left, and the seat wouldn't open at first, but wiggling worked for that. Still wouldn't unlock the steering at all, though.

$82 for a tow to Scooterwest, and they'll call me Monday with what I hope is good news
The Reverend Wage
Abide!
tommyred

Post by tommyred »

Well, they called, and it wasn't good news.
$185 to replace the whole thing :cry:
The Reverend Wage
Abide!
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

Any chance someone messed with your scooter when you were in playing poker? Like sticking a screw driver in there to break the lock or something? If it's something like that...and the dealer says that's what it looked like happened and will put it in writing, if you have comprehensive insurance I would imagine that should cover it.

Kind of weird that something internal to the lock would break like that all on it's own...

Regardless, it's a bummer. Hope you get if fixed soon so you can get back on the road.
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
tommyred

Post by tommyred »

michelle_7728 wrote:Regardless, it's a bummer. Hope you get if fixed soon so you can get back on the road.
Yeah, it was a bummer. A $185 bummer, on top of the $80 towing. No bueno :x

And no one I played with would screw with it. We just play nickel, dime poker, and no one ever leaves the house until we're all done.
The Reverend Wage
Abide!
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

I have to ask why the towing cost so much, did you not get towing with your insurance? It's really handy to have and cheap.
tommyred

Post by tommyred »

I forgot to add it onto my insurance when the Buddy warranty ran out. I have it on my Kymco & my cage, but not Big Red. I'll be on the phone to my agent later on today, that's for sure.
The Reverend Wage
Abide!
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

tommyred wrote:
michelle_7728 wrote:Regardless, it's a bummer. Hope you get if fixed soon so you can get back on the road.
Yeah, it was a bummer. A $185 bummer, on top of the $80 towing. No bueno :x

And no one I played with would screw with it. We just play nickel, dime poker, and no one ever leaves the house until we're all done.
Actually, my comment was more geared towards wondering if you had the bike outside where some stranger could have walked by and messed with it while you were inside playing poker with your friends.
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
tommyred

Post by tommyred »

[quote/]Actually, my comment was more geared towards wondering if you had the bike outside where some stranger could have walked by and messed with it while you were inside playing poker with your friends.[/quote]

LOL...I thought you were talking about my degenerate friends. :D
The Reverend Wage
Abide!
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Local sale of an ignition set for $40: http://stlouis.craigslist.org/mcy/3803388890.html
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!