Liquid in Air Cleaner Box

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Snap

Liquid in Air Cleaner Box

Post by Snap »

After sitting a bit I am getting quite a bit of faintly gassy smelling liquid in the air box.
Cleaned it up, started up, runs fine and no leaking.
Sit a bit and more liquid.

What's could be up?
PIStaker

gas smell

Post by PIStaker »

Is it definitely gas, or could it be oil?
It's possible that your piston rings aren't set. Or they could be starting to fail. This would allow oil to come up the cylinder wall, into the top end where it pushes out that tube that ties into your air box.
Snap

Re: gas smell

Post by Snap »

PIStaker wrote:Is it definitely gas, or could it be oil?
It's possible that your piston rings aren't set. Or they could be starting to fail. This would allow oil to come up the cylinder wall, into the top end where it pushes out that tube that ties into your air box.
Smells gassy but not as strong as might be expected and is thinner than oil, but oddly colored yellow. Buddy puss.
I'm guessing the fuel petcock is vacuum operated and maybe it's seeping when it sits. But when it runs it's bone dry in the tubes connecting to the air box.

Just changed the oil and it was not diluted with gas, so I'm thinking the float isn't stuck high as that usually ends up with gas in the crankcase.

Bike hasn't used oil and only 1600 miles on the clock.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Could be two types of leaks. There could be a leak in the vaccum tap diaphragm, which would allow fuel to run down into the manifold. The other could be a leak from the float needle in the crab bowl, and it's wicking up the fuel needle into the Carb venturi
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Snap

Post by Snap »

Pulled the pet carrier and see a venting system from the gas tank.
Going to pull the hose off to see if there's any liquid in there too.
Snap

Post by Snap »

az_slynch wrote:could be a leak in the vaccum tap diaphragm
Where is that?

AKA vaccum fuel petcock attached under the tank?
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Snap wrote:
az_slynch wrote:could be a leak in the vaccum tap diaphragm
Where is that?

AKA vaccum fuel petcock attached under the tank?
Correct. It has two lines going to it. The smaller one connects the tap to the intake manifold and transfers engine manifold vacuum to suck the tap diaphragm down and let fuel flow. The larger one connects to the carburetor and feeds fuel to the float bowl.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...