NBR: HiViz or White or Graphic Full Face Helmet?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

iamryan25

NBR: HiViz or White or Graphic Full Face Helmet?

Post by iamryan25 »

I've mostly decided on the GM11D for my full face helmet.

I ride a red buddy.

I am thinking of going with the high viz helmet, and maybe wear a grey mesh.

Initially I wanted a flat black one, but the heat of the summer here (100+ degrees) is encouraging a non-black color.

What do YOU guys think?

Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Well, my helmets are all bright colors and highly visible patterns, so I guess that is what I think :wink: .
Attachments
Nolan N43.jpg
Nolan N43.jpg (31.54 KiB) Viewed 1057 times
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Which begs the question: why are 'dirt bike' helmets all pointy and Darth-Vader-looking, compared to street full-face helmets? I guess I've never really understood this. I get the visor, but not the chin.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
iamryan25

Post by iamryan25 »

PeteH wrote:Which begs the question: why are 'dirt bike' helmets all pointy and Darth-Vader-looking, compared to street full-face helmets? I guess I've never really understood this. I get the visor, but not the chin.
Haha! That's just a reason to get a black one.

Really though, the graphic reminds me of Halo (and I don't play xbox). I love how huge the face shield is compared to street helmets. I'm not sure I'll keep the visor, this helmet can be converted to visor-less, making it less darth vaderish, but the chin remains the same.
iamryan25

Post by iamryan25 »

Dooglas wrote:Well, my helmets are all bright colors and highly visible patterns, so I guess that is what I think :wink: .
That nolan is aweomse btw, little out of my budget for now.
Syd

Post by Syd »

I'll bet that helmet is noisy. I think the reason dirt-bike helmets are all pointy-like is because dirt-bikers don't (usually) go that fast.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

I think you're good with either white or hi-viz yellow. I have owned black, silver, and white. The white was by far more visible. Incredible difference in traffic. Heat isn't so much of an issue - rode with all three of those in South Florida and, at least for short to medium length trips, inside temp was not really that different.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

hi-viz or white, yea they both stand out pretty well and reduce heat. Best thing to do if you plan to do any night riding is get some 3M reflective strips and adorn the back of your helmet and scooter with it.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

white for hi viz day or night
Riding is riding
J33pman

Post by J33pman »

Like the looks of the helmet and I own a Z1R Transit, that has a visor very similar to this one. While I like the looks, be aware that the visor will most likely whistle over 50mph and it will push you head around some if you look left, right, or up especially. Not trying to dissuade, just a heads up. (LOL)

(I have a thing for hi-viz..)
iamryan25

Post by iamryan25 »

J33pman wrote:Like the looks of the helmet and I own a Z1R Transit, that has a visor very similar to this one. While I like the looks, be aware that the visor will most likely whistle over 50mph and it will push you head around some if you look left, right, or up especially. Not trying to dissuade, just a heads up. (LOL)

(I have a thing for hi-viz..)
So the helmet has side covers that will go on and the visor will come off making it more like a street helmet.

My top speed is 67 bmph no windshield, and I usually hang out in the 40-50 bmph zone...but I don't want a noisy helmet either...

This helmet is also in the running:

GM78 with a light kit in the back (light can be synced with brake light) of the helmet and clear outer shield and tinted inner shield that slides down.

I'm not too hot on the graphic but it would match my red buddy better.

There is NO HiViz available in this one, again I was initially leaning toward matte black but it will either be white or graphic.

If you rode a red buddy....(I pay about the same price) which would you go with?

J33pman

Post by J33pman »

I like it. I think the white would probably clash with your jacket and scoot, and matte black may not look so hot after a couple seasons of bug splats, etc., since you can't wax or polish it.
iamryan25

Post by iamryan25 »

jmazza wrote:I think you're good with either white or hi-viz yellow. I have owned black, silver, and white. The white was by far more visible. Incredible difference in traffic. Heat isn't so much of an issue - rode with all three of those in South Florida and, at least for short to medium length trips, inside temp was not really that different.
You're right the black isn't really a difference on inside helmet temperature, when it is hot it is hot. I had a white modular kbc and a black modular fulmer and I experienced similar temps, even with the better venting on the kbc.

I'm also interested in the safety element of colors and patterns, I know there have been tons of threads on this but it's always nice having a new opinion on the specific helmet I'm shopping for.

Thanks for the input!!! :)
iamryan25

Post by iamryan25 »

J33pman wrote:I like it. I think the white would probably clash with your jacket and scoot, and matte black may not look so hot after a couple seasons of bug splats, etc., since you can't wax or polish it.
Good point on the matte not cleaning up all that great, a shiny finish does keep its "new" look longer.
slotrod65

Post by slotrod65 »

Those visors scream "wind sail" at me. I would think this would be a tiring helmet for anything above 30mph.