About the "My BuBu" Name...

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jess

About the "My BuBu" Name...

Post by jess »

One of my coworkers is from Taiwan, so I mentioned the Buddy to him, and explained that it's name in Taiwan was "My BuBu", and could he perhaps shed any light on that...

He explained that "BuBu" in Taiwan is a child's name for a car, because (he says) "That's the sound they make". I don't know if this is really the source of the name or not, but I suppose scooters sound like that even more than cars do.

bububububububububu ;)

He was also appalled by the quality of the singing in the first commercial, exclaiming repeatedly "Where's the quality!? Why can't they get anyone who can sing anymore!?!". I guess I hit a nerve or something. :shock:
addicted

Post by addicted »

One of our parrots, Paco, speaks Spanish and only Spanish. Paco uses the word burro, which he pronounces boo-ru (while rolling the "r"), as a term of endearment. Paco calls our puppy boo-ru. So, when I saw BuBu, I immediately thought of "little donkey". BuBu must be a Taiwanese term of endearment, just as Buddy is to us.
Take care,
Gary
FormerStella

Little BuBu

Post by FormerStella »

The owner of the shop where I bought my Buddy told me about the BuBu name and also that he had ordered the decals. When they come in, I plan to have the "Buddy 125" logo removed and the "BuBu" applied.