Wearing laptop / messenger bags

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

gar1013

Wearing laptop / messenger bags

Post by gar1013 »

Luggage rack isn't in yet, so I'm wearing my laptop on the ride into work.

Just curious as to if people have found wearing messenger bags/laptops on the side the best route, or if it makes more sense to place the bag behind me with the strap set so it just barely rests on the seat.

It's certainly not the lightest laptop in the world, and I also probably need to figure out how to shed as many ounces as possible from the bag itself.

If anyone has some suggestions for good laptop bags for the rear (or front) luggage rack, it'd also be appreciated.
TVB

Post by TVB »

I don't carry a laptop very often, but I have a bag that goes pretty much everywhere with me on my scoot. I have the shoulder strap adjusted so that the bag sits on the seat behind me. From time to time it'll slip to the side, and I just yank the strap to move it back. It keeps it out of the way, with no shoulder strain on long rides.
Maximus53

Post by Maximus53 »

How about a laptop backpack?
gar1013

Post by gar1013 »

Maximus53 wrote:How about a laptop backpack?
I thought about that, but I'm hoping that the luggage rack will come in soon enough that I can get someone that will fit nicely there.

That way, instead of spending money on a laptop backpack, I can spend it on something useful like a bunch of mirrors, badges, or spotlights. :lol:
Capt_Don

Post by Capt_Don »

I keep my Kindle fire and my netbook in the "trunk."
jmazza

Re: Wearing laptop / messenger bags

Post by jmazza »

gar1013 wrote:Luggage rack isn't in yet, so I'm wearing my laptop on the ride into work.

Just curious as to if people have found wearing messenger bags/laptops on the side the best route, or if it makes more sense to place the bag behind me with the strap set so it just barely rests on the seat.

It's certainly not the lightest laptop in the world, and I also probably need to figure out how to shed as many ounces as possible from the bag itself.

If anyone has some suggestions for good laptop bags for the rear (or front) luggage rack, it'd also be appreciated.
I've had both kinds - the more traditional side slung bags like the Corazzo Messenger Bag and ones that go more on the back like Chrome bags.

Having some of the weight on the seat behind you can definitely be a benefit (especially with a weighty laptop), but also a bit hard to get the strap exactly right so the bag just rests there and doesn't create slack in the strap which can cause the strap to slip off your shoulder.

Side bags work well but really require an extra strap to go around your waist (like the Corazzo I linked) because one good gust of wind can catch the bag and send it sailing away from your side which can pull you out of your lane. I've had mine go nearly horizontal and it's not fun. That's when I realized the importance of that strap!

So all in all I prefer the back slung bags better I suppose.

I know you said you're waiting on a luggage rack but something to consider is that a laptop on a rack (or in the pet carrier, etc) is going to receive a whole lot more vibration than one in a bag where your body is absorbing all the shock. For that reason I always used a bag and never put my laptop on a rack.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I carry a laptop back and forth to work daily.

Typically I just wear my laptop backpack, but on occasion I have strapped it down using a bungee cargo net, similar to this:

http://www.hyperparts.com/wc.dll?ctwp~i ... MgodtxgAHw

Easily found (online, Walmart, Bass Pro, Cabelas, etc.) and inexpensive. It works well for me.

** Edit: I should mention, I strap my laptop to my seat on the MC

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
mukaiboston

Post by mukaiboston »

I have a backpack with a pocket for a laptop and use that. Typically my rain gear/jacket is in the main compartment so that should cushion it if I were to go down.

But as a last resort, my laptop is insured so I'm not really worried about it.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Backpack or on your back is much better on the Stella, especially if you're carrying a lot.

I used to be a messenger bag guy, but even with one with a body strap, it didn't work so well on the Stella and was killing my back. And then there was the time I leaned down to switch to the spare fuel, my messenger bag (not the one with the strap) slid across my back and down, I accidentally stomped the rear brake and had a little, uh, issue.
jmazza wrote:I know you said you're waiting on a luggage rack but something to consider is that a laptop on a rack (or in the pet carrier, etc) is going to receive a whole lot more vibration than one in a bag where your body is absorbing all the shock. For that reason I always used a bag and never put my laptop on a rack.
+1 on this. The vibration is definitely enough to screw up a hard drive.

Though I'm not 100% sure this is what caused it, not long after carrying my laptop — while swaddled in the padded compartment of my backpack — in the BMW C650 GT pet carrier a few times, my hard drive went kaput. That's the only one I've ever had to replace in four laptops. The laptop that was killed when I had my first crash still has a functioning hard drive.

For some backpack ideas and recommendations, check here:
topic23652.html

Lots of threads on messenger bags, too!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

Adding to the consensus that the rack will be too much vibration for the laptop. Stick to using a messenger bag, but resting on the seat is fine.
gar1013

Post by gar1013 »

I hadn't thought of the hard drive issue, to be honest.

That being said, it does appear that the hard drive is actually a solid state drive. I wonder if it would stand up better to the vibration, or if I'll then have to move to worrying about something unseating itself inside the laptop.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Resting on the seat here too. My straps are adjusted so that almost all of the weight of the laptop is carried by the seat, not my neck or shoulder. When it slides off it slides towards my left arm, so pushing it back to the seat doesn't interfere with my throttle hand.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I do that too, Syd.

Works for short commutes. Over 20 miles it gets....tedious!
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

I cannot agree more on how fragile hard drives can be when it comes to vibration. I've fragged a Toshiba and a Thinkpad just by vibration alone by having them on a scooter. Even in a backpack, while it's MUCH safer and the preferred way, it's still risky. That and for some of us, a massive laptop is the only way to go for work sadly (my 17" weighs 9lbs plus the 2 TB portable HD and power bricks!).

The solution I have is a Chrome mini-metro and one of those 10" laptops (Asus 1015e... size of a netbook and priced as such, but with Windows 8 and a bunch more power than the Atom chipsets). The "netbook-but-not-a-netbook" only cost $240 as opposed to the main laptop which is, er, a lot more. Lighter, easier on the back and if something were to happen, it's not as critical as losing your main machine. And, on my old Stella I had spent $130 on the rear rack alone plus another $50 for the bag to strap to it when I had my Toshiba. So, for not much more you can buy a machine you can put in the way of your nice computer to get to the office and about.

It's why a lot of riders also carry tablets or ultrabooks/MacBook airs with a solid state drive instead. Less room, but no moving parts to worry about. Also, if you're worried about weight and space there may be another angle that I know one employee at the university I work for pulled. She stated that with her riding a scooter, she was getting nearly 90mpg and reducing fuel consumption as well as congestion around ASU. And, she was more effective being in the office than telecommuting. For this reason, it was "safer" for the data she worked with to simply have a company computer in the office and one at home, that way she could commute on such a "tiny" bike and thus reduce her carbon footprint.

In short: It worked! They bought her a computer for home and a work machine and now all she commutes with is 256GB flash drive.

The last option is pretty unlikely but I thought it was pretty damned creative
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
gar1013

Post by gar1013 »

So I guess my question becomes this: since I have a solid-state drive, is it safe to strap my laptop bag to the luggage rack?
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Solid state should be OK, but the back rack is still pretty iffy. if it spills once, it's probably done.

Of course I say that, and I had an IBM thinkpad go skating down the pavement when it fell out of a too-small bag. Didn't make it any prettier, but it worked just fine. whee!
gar1013

Post by gar1013 »

skully93 wrote:Solid state should be OK, but the back rack is still pretty iffy. if it spills once, it's probably done.
I guess there are certain circumstances where I could see it falling off without me crashing.

If I were to crash, I'm wondering how much it'd suck to be wearing a laptop at the time.

Decisions, decisions...
TVB

Post by TVB »

A solid-state drive is far less susceptible to vibration damage, but there are still other components to worry about: anything that moves. Latches and keyboard keys are the most common things that would get a rattling from being in direct contact with a (non-padded) part of the scooter.

I'm a big fan of the Tactical Bail-Out Bag from LA Police Gear, slung over my shoulder and resting on the seat behind me. I don't carry a laptop that way very often, but when I carry one, that's how I do it.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

gar1013 wrote:
skully93 wrote:Solid state should be OK, but the back rack is still pretty iffy. if it spills once, it's probably done.
I guess there are certain circumstances where I could see it falling off without me crashing.

If I were to crash, I'm wondering how much it'd suck to be wearing a laptop at the time.

Decisions, decisions...
I've crashed with my thinkpad in my Oakley backpack (my former choice of bag before I discovered Chrome). Being a thinkpad, it was just fine. I planted right onto my right shoulder and bounce/skidded for about ten feet. Dunno if I would trust any other laptop on the market except for some of the Vaios or a Toughbook (Working on a Vaio V-series right now).

For your health and safety, a good bag will do wonders for your physical safety. For the laptop? Well, any impact is going to be bad for it so it doesn't take a genius there.
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

gar1013 wrote:If I were to crash, I'm wondering how much it'd suck to be wearing a laptop at the time.
I got a new laptop after a crash. No "market value," I got full replacement cost.

Wasn't worth it.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Syd

Post by Syd »

gar1013 wrote:If I were to crash, I'm wondering how much it'd suck to be wearing a laptop at the time.

Decisions, decisions...
Wearing it, strapping it on the back rack, putting it in a topcase, wherever; if you crash it's gonna suck.

Think of it this way. Vibration is your enemy. Vibration will hurt things that are designed to move regularly and things that are designed to move only to perform maintenance. Vibration can vibrate screws loose, the ones you see and the ones you don't. Whatever you can do to keep vibrations from your electronica, you should.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
gar1013

Post by gar1013 »

At this point I'm just trying to decide if the vibration issue for what will be a 2.8 mile commute each way for a work-issued laptop with a solid state drive is enough to keep it on my body.

My primary concern actually is making sure that in the event I need to take emergency measures that the laptop's shifting weight on my body isn't going to be an issue, as well as not wanting the laptop to cause injuries beyond those which would normally happen.

I'm leaning towards throwing some extra foam, and perhaps a sleeve over the laptop, into the bag and strapping it on the rack once I get it -- or perhaps even getting a motorcycle/scooter specific bag and throwing in the additional foam padding.

Apparently solid state drives can withstand vibration up to 2000hz -- well above the vibration frequency produced by a Stella at redline.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

It's not the frequency, it's the amplitude. Think g's, not Hz.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
TVB

Post by TVB »

gar1013 wrote:Apparently solid state drives can withstand vibration up to 2000hz -- well above the vibration frequency produced by a Stella at redline.
The SSD is just another set of chips like the CPU or RAM. It isn't what you need to worry about.
gar1013

Post by gar1013 »

TVB wrote:
gar1013 wrote:Apparently solid state drives can withstand vibration up to 2000hz -- well above the vibration frequency produced by a Stella at redline.
The SSD is just another set of chips like the CPU or RAM. It isn't what you need to worry about.
Good point I hadn't thought of.
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

I've carried laptops in various ways in the past 4 years. I have had one laptop die, but it was years after I had my wreck on my Buddy (Buddy since rebuilt and with 5k more on it)...in fact it was a different laptop than when I had my accident, surprisingly. And I'm not convinced that when my laptop did die that it had anything to do with commuting on the scooter....probably it had much more to do with my picking it up and walking off to meetings with it on a regular basis (still do that all the time) without putting it to sleep or parking it first).

* I have carried my laptop in various of my scooter's topcases (I always put a lightweight jacket or sweater under it for padding in the topcase)
* I've carried my laptop in one of my saddlebags, with other stuff in the other saddlebag to equalize the weight
* I've carried my laptops under the seats of various maxi scooters I've owned (tried to put padding under them when possible), and
* I've carried my laptop on my rear rack. However I carry everything on my rear rack differently than others do. Lots of pictures of what I'm referring to in this thread: viewtopic.php?t=14443&highlight=platform

The pictures in that thread were before my Buddy got totalled and rebuilt. The platform, computer (in its laptop bag), and rear rack came through the wreck unscathed, in spite of being slammed on to the ground at 25-30 miles and hour and sliding for 20 feet or so. The laptop bag has the extra padding you would expect a laptop bag to have. Now, I'm not saying you should submit your laptop bag to such stringent usability tests... :P

It's not how I commute with a laptop any more, but that's simply because I have a much longer commute now, and have a carpool partner. On days I do ride to work (45 minute carpool lane freeway ride, vs 1 1/14 hour back roads ride one way) I ride my Scarabeo 500ie and put the laptop in the topcase...again on top of some kind of padding so that it doesn't get the brunt of any vibration.

I'm not a fan of backpacks, but for me the reason is that I have a bad back and ANY weight on my back irritates it. :(
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's