NCY clutch dragging ...

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

dana

NCY clutch dragging ...

Post by dana »

The clutch on my tuned Buddy seems to drag a little. I can feel it disengage on deceleration once the revs drop a lot. Aftermarket NCY clutch, NCY varistor, etc. This has noticeably more deceleration drag than my totally stock Buddy.

What do you think? Heavier clutch springs? If I remember correctly, I just used the springs that came with the NCY clutch.

Is this an issue anyone else has experienced? Not that it's really that big a deal, but engine breaking on an auto scoot just feels odd.

Thx
SYMbionic Duo

Post by SYMbionic Duo »

I am having the same issue. I also used the springs that came with the clutch instead of 1500 (yellow) springs that i usually use.

I plan on swapping them out, but it will have to wait til my stella is up and running again. (never monkey with a bike that runs when the backup is down)

-duo
Nothing is Foolproof to a sufficiently talented Fool.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

If you're having too much engine braking then the Contra spring is too stiff. If your clutch is disengaging too late, your shoe springs are too light. If it feels like it never fully disengages, then your retaining nut isn't on correctly and you're grinding away the inside of your clutch bell (you'd want to look into that last one quicker than the others).
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
dana

Post by dana »

Lostmycage wrote:If you're having too much engine braking then the Contra spring is too stiff. If your clutch is disengaging too late, your shoe springs are too light. If it feels like it never fully disengages, then your retaining nut isn't on correctly and you're grinding away the inside of your clutch bell (you'd want to look into that last one quicker than the others).
Thx. Perfect description. Much appreciated.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Is "too much engine braking" a bad thing? I like the 1500 rpm contra spring but if engine braking puts a strain on anything I would go back to the 1K.
I also kept the pill springs in the NCY racing clutch that it came with. I have the blue clutch so I don't really know what those shoe springs are rated (everything is blue in there!). I have a set of 1500 shoe springs (yellow) I could try, too. I ran those in the stock clutch and it was a good set-up.
Thanks LMC.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
dana

Post by dana »

Tocsik wrote:Is "too much engine braking" a bad thing?
I guess it depends on rider preference. Personally for me, it feels strange not having a clutch to influence throttle and braking. On roadrace bikes we actually play with ECU programming and slipper clutch adjustment to influence/reduce engine braking. AND we still have a clutch.

I didn't realize how much it bugged me until I started riding my wife's stock Buddy last week. My Buddy has a cylinder kit and a bunch of compression, so it's a lot more noticeable. "Coasting" in traffic feels pretty strange ... either on or off.

I'll try out some other springs. Seems like there are some good, knowledgeable auto tuners on this list, so I thought I'd ask. Thx again.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

I found I liked a lighter contra spring and the middle tension shoe springs. I also highly preferred the retaining nut fully tightened. :wink:
dana

Post by dana »

Lostmycage wrote:I found I liked a lighter contra spring and the middle tension shoe springs. I also highly preferred the retaining nut fully tightened. :wink:
Thx. I'll start with the retaining nut. Always start with the simple stuff... Learned that the hard way. lol

So stock contra spring and yellow shoe springs, maybe? Is the color coding of the springs consistent across brands? I've got a bunch of Dr. Pulley springs, but I don't know that the weights are marked on the package.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

dana wrote:
Lostmycage wrote:I found I liked a lighter contra spring and the middle tension shoe springs. I also highly preferred the retaining nut fully tightened. :wink:
Thx. I'll start with the retaining nut. Always start with the simple stuff... Learned that the hard way. lol

So stock contra spring and yellow shoe springs, maybe? Is the color coding of the springs consistent across brands? I've got a bunch of Dr. Pulley springs, but I don't know that the weights are marked on the package.
Sadly, no. They are very inconsistent across brands.