Finally part of the club!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

NikVee

Finally part of the club!

Post by NikVee »

I'm just excited to let you all know that I bought that '09 Blackjack!

I rode it home, then went straight to the Department of Licensee to take care of the title/registration business. I pulled off the rear basket and then took off for an hour or so of scooting around town!

It's really important to me that I thank everyone that's been so helpful with their thoughts and advice as I've been considering my options. You're all fantastic and I can't see myself ending up with this scoot without your input.

Anyway, the Blackjack itself seems to be in pretty good shape. It's never been downed, and the paint's all clean, less the usual you'd expect from use... the only defect I've noted was that one of the round red reflectors attached to the license plate bracket seems to be missing (I'd assume these can be picked up for cheap). I guess the ad that I was looking at was old, as the scooter had ~400 more miles than was listed (meaning it had 2000 and not 1600 on it), but that was hardly made me reconsider. The previous owners took good care of it, too - with the first maintenance done by dealers.

Anyway, all said and done, I spent under 2200 bucks for the scooter and the registration/title/tax/etc. It may not be a brand new shiny 170i, but my bank account is in less pain than it would have been if I went for a brand new Buddy.

It all looks pretty stock Blackjack, but I took a couple pictures for kicks :)

You can see the spot where the missing reflector ought to be in this one (next to the blacked-out plate).

So yeah! Thanks again everybody - you're all the best!!!

- NikVee[/code]
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Congrats and welcome to the fold! You're going to love it.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

Love those Blackjacks!
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Nice score!
I would buy a Blackjack in a heartbeat. They came out the year after I bought my Pamplona :/
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

Well done, and welcome to the club!
so tough, so pink
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Looks good, especially that seat. If I could find a saddle like that I woulkd
get one for my 170i. :wink:
scullyfu

Post by scullyfu »

terrific! so happy for you. :)
WE'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!! Starbuck, BSG
guzziknight

Post by guzziknight »

Looks great! Enjoy it, we love ours.
CapnK

Post by CapnK »

I think you made the right call! ANd you have extra cash to 'accessorize' your new scoot, too! :) Congrats!
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - M. Twain
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Well done! My Stella reflectors fell off too. They didn't even last a month. Enjoy the scoot. You'll find that you've bought quality nice and an almost "bullet proof" scoot....Ride safe and remember "All the gear all the time". (That statement is a bit taboo but I personally feel it as I'm traumatized from watching a motorcyclist get hit and die because of little protection just those dinky scull caps)...
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

You have chosen wisely! Enjoy!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

I totally agree with DrumPro. You are not riding your bicycle to the malt shop
so always dress for the worst and hope for the best. I have to wear half helmet because any thing else knocks off my cochlear implant hearing devise
but I would make a full helmet the only type to wear if I were you. You are
not a Wuss to dress correctly and remember; better a live Wuss that a dead
fool. :helmet: :helmet: :helmet:
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Great purchase! Congratulations!! I have always loved the Black Jacks, especially the seats.

It's also always so cool to read stories about people who made a better-informed decision thanks to Modern Buddy!

Enjoy!!
NikVee

Post by NikVee »

Am I under the correct impression that all the standard accessories built for the Buddy 125's / 150's are interchangeable with the Blackjack?

I've read that adding a windshield will bump up performance a bit, and I'm thinking a small one might look pretty cool, too :)
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

NikVee wrote:Am I under the correct impression that all the standard accessories built for the Buddy 125's / 150's are interchangeable with the Blackjack?

I've read that adding a windshield will bump up performance a bit, and I'm thinking a small one might look pretty cool, too :)
Correct! All the accessories are interchangeable. A windshield is probably a good idea. It adds a small amount of top speed and it helps keep bugs off you. Also I don't know the extent of your experience but take the MSF. It's worth it!
skipper20

Re: Finally part of the club!

Post by skipper20 »

NikVee wrote:I'm just excited to let you all know that I bought that '09 Blackjack!

I rode it home, then went straight to the Department of Licensee to take care of the title/registration business. I pulled off the rear basket and then took off for an hour or so of scooting around town!

It's really important to me that I thank everyone that's been so helpful with their thoughts and advice as I've been considering my options. You're all fantastic and I can't see myself ending up with this scoot without your input.

Anyway, the Blackjack itself seems to be in pretty good shape. It's never been downed, and the paint's all clean, less the usual you'd expect from use... the only defect I've noted was that one of the round red reflectors attached to the license plate bracket seems to be missing (I'd assume these can be picked up for cheap). I guess the ad that I was looking at was old, as the scooter had ~400 more miles than was listed (meaning it had 2000 and not 1600 on it), but that was hardly made me reconsider. The previous owners took good care of it, too - with the first maintenance done by dealers.

Anyway, all said and done, I spent under 2200 bucks for the scooter and the registration/title/tax/etc. It may not be a brand new shiny 170i, but my bank account is in less pain than it would have been if I went for a brand new Buddy.

It all looks pretty stock Blackjack, but I took a couple pictures for kicks :)

You can see the spot where the missing reflector ought to be in this one (next to the blacked-out plate).

So yeah! Thanks again everybody - you're all the best!!!

- NikVee[/code]
Congratulations. Very nice but why the blacked out plate? I've seen other people do this too and I've always wondered why.

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Italia "The Olive Pit"
'11 220i Blur "I'll show you my plate if you'll show me yours"!
NikVee

Post by NikVee »

I took a safety course just a couple weeks ago - after that it was just a matter of turning the paperwork in to get an endorsed license :)

On the blacked out plate - it's just a privacy precaution. That's not to suggest that someone would (or even could?) do malicious things with a plate number. It's probably overkill, but makes me feel better about sharing things online for the whole world to see, potentially.
NikVee

Post by NikVee »

Also - I got the official "greetings fellow scooterist" nod and wave from someone else scooting around town today. :P
TVB

Post by TVB »

NikVee wrote:Also - I got the official "greetings fellow scooterist" nod and wave from someone else scooting around town today. :P
Get used to it. :)
And start doing it yourself.
batgirl101

Blackjack

Post by batgirl101 »

you know you got the best one right? ;) congrats!!