My Vespa!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

vespamiami

My Vespa!

Post by vespamiami »

My Vespa!
Attachments
Blog Collage-1374713552021.jpg
Blog Collage-1374713552021.jpg (108.64 KiB) Viewed 965 times
:) best Miami Wedding Photographer http://www.haringphotography.com
CapnK

Post by CapnK »

Wow, you and your rider are both pretty young! But it sure is a *nice looking* scoot! ;) :D
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - M. Twain
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

three pretty ladys! R
DCUNITED4LIFE

Post by DCUNITED4LIFE »

Uh, I think I see a glovebox in there.....this should be interesting. It may be hazardous to even allow those girls to sit on that thing. :?

Ok, let me add a bit here. Where did you get this scoot? Do you know the history of it? Not to question you but I hope you did your due diligence in sourcing this scooter, for you and your girls safety.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Are you talking about the blue seen between the crash bar and the body, near the top of the legshield? I think it's a mounting point for the crash bar.

Whatever it is, that's a nice photo vespamiami. Nice how your focus is on the scoot and not the girls!
The majority is always sane - Nessus
scullyfu

Post by scullyfu »

if those are your daughters, you done good. :)
WE'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!! Starbuck, BSG
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

DCUNITED4LIFE wrote:Uh, I think I see a glovebox in there.....this should be interesting. It may be hazardous to even allow those girls to sit on that thing. :?

Ok, let me add a bit here. Where did you get this scoot? Do you know the history of it? Not to question you but I hope you did your due diligence in sourcing this scooter, for you and your girls safety.
Well, I guess I'll just come right out and ask: is this an Asian rebuild (Viet-Bodge), or did you purchase it from someone or some company that imports these from Asia? Such scoots are known for being cosmetically pretty but mechanically unsound/unsafe. And that scoot is definitely a looker, hence the question.

Not being judgemental, just want to make sure that you're aware of the issues.
CapnK

Post by CapnK »

Egads - I Googled for "Viet-Bodge" and this came up:

The NYCS Viet-bodge 101

Yikes! I hope that vespamiami's scoot is not one of those!
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - M. Twain
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

From what I can tell it looks fairly straight...but it does have some scary attributes. The white seats, chrome and paint are a bit of concern but I don't really see many other telltale signs and the chrome isn't over the top. No wings on the legshield is a VERY good sign.

I've seen some other photos and there is not a glove box, a good sign. If it is a US rebuild it might be OK...just not to my taste...but it's not my scooter!

I believe it has an LML 150 premix motor. Those are not usually found on bodges.

What color are the switches on the right side of the headset? Red or black?
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Judging by the LML install, it looks like it might be something from these guys:

http://www.classicalwheels.com/codenew/product.asp
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Could be.

I'm not going to pass judgement on that scooter without seeing it in person.

It is important to remember that these types are NOT restorations...they are rebuilds. There is nothing wrong with a rebuild done right...they can be fun safe scooters (generally if not from Vietnam). New or rebuilt motor, the scooter gone over, parts replaced...maybe not the right tail light but no big deal.

A restoration is a totally different animal. A proper restoration should be exactly as it rolled out of the factory. You will see people looking for 40 year old tires. They're not going to ride on them...but they are the right tire for that bike which can be important in concourse judging.

I have a restored 68 Vespa SS 180. It is correct down to the lobo bolts and tab locks on the flywheel. I will admit that I ride it so I run Zippy 3 tires...the closest tred pattern to original. It's a pretty rare bike, last year of the piston ported motors and the only SS with a round headlight. It took me two years to find the correct tuna can tail light and 2 years to find the rare headset dust covers.

A great restoration shop is Bar Italia http://www.baritaliaclassics.com/Site/Home.html they really really really know vintage scooters and do incredible work...but they ain't cheap!

If you're thinking of buying vintage I would suggest reading this thread from MV. Lots of good information
http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic80947
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL