Scooter Cannonball 2014

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

SYMbionic Duo

Post by SYMbionic Duo »

So who wants to get to AK early and ride up to Deadhorse? Do a 2014 three-for Cannonball, Amerivespa, Ironbutt Ultimate Coast to Coast.

Ride back from Deadhorse to Hyder in time for Cannonball, then do Amerivespa in NOLA then ride to Key West have 30 days to complete the Ironbutt challenge.

Who's with me??

-duo
Nothing is Foolproof to a sufficiently talented Fool.
TVB

Post by TVB »

That's inventive thinking, but ... I'll pass. :)
cdwise

Post by cdwise »

I'll pass as well, if for some insane reason I decided to do an ironbutt it would be easily enough accomplished riding up there from somewhere in Oregon. Which would at least have the advantage of saving some of the logistic hassles of getting to Hyder.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Hmm...
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

SYMbionic Duo wrote:So who wants to get to AK early and ride up to Deadhorse? Do a 2014 three-for Cannonball, Amerivespa, Ironbutt Ultimate Coast to Coast.

Ride back from Deadhorse to Hyder in time for Cannonball, then do Amerivespa in NOLA then ride to Key West have 30 days to complete the Ironbutt challenge.

Who's with me??

-duo
Been to Deadhorse...not worth the trip unless you are getting paid oilfield wages.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

jrsjr wrote:Okay, here's my Cannonball scooter, a 2008 SYM HD 200. Yay! :D
...and then there were two. My evil plan is coming together. Heh heh heh... :twisted:
Attachments
SYM HD200 x 2.jpg
SYM HD200 x 2.jpg (183.46 KiB) Viewed 1496 times
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

jrsjr wrote:
...and then there were two. My evil plan is coming together. Heh heh heh... :twisted:
:?: :?: :?:

Bungee-ing two 200s together does not equal 400. :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

ericalm wrote:
jrsjr wrote:
:?: :?: :?:

Bungee-ing two 200s together does not equal 400. :)
Correct, it's only about 343cc. :lol:
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

ericalm wrote:Bungee-ing two 200s together does not equal 400. :)
Aw man, you figured out my secret plan before the reveal. :rofl:

Considering my navigational skills, what I should probably do is bungee them together facing opposite directions so I can just ride around in circles. :roll:
Syd

Post by Syd »

Is that a spare scoot? :shock: I know it's nice to have spare parts, just in case, but a spare bike? Wow. :)
The majority is always sane - Nessus
BootScootin'FireFighter

I'm out now too :(

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

Hate to say this, but I gotta finally pull the plug on this ambitious plan of mine. Sadly, I won't be able to represent the Buddy scooter and make this journey.

The past few weeks have been trying for my beloved scooter, which has had several issues come up making it more doubtful than confident for the trip. Although I'm able to fix these issues, it will just be too much headache to be out on the open prairie trying to troubleshoot mechanical issues that surely will present themselves at the wrong time. My bikes got a lot of miles and is starting to show.

I was planning to ride out to Hyder for 12 days, then complete the run, and 5 days to get home. Making it to Hyder would've been a blessing itself. I was using a lot of leave time from work, and coupled with the loss of overtime income while my wife is in school fulltime would make it an ecomomic wrecking ball. I initially knew that shipping the bike and flying out, or shelling out hundreds of dollars for a trailer crew and hotels just to the start were also out of our means.

I was still ok with those two issues, but the final straw was when my riding partner had a family emergency come up that won't allow him to be away from home that long, so I lost the blessing from the Mrs. Not the best idea to be that far off the grid alone.

Sorry guys, but sometimes you gotta know when to hold 'em, and know when to fold 'em.

:(
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Remember, "discretion is the better part of valour" you've made a wise choice for many reasons, especially when you stated you've "lost the blessing from the Mrs"
You gave it a great effort to get the scoot up to the trip. Maybe we'll see you in Harrisburg later this summer.
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
Syd

Post by Syd »

Sorry to read that, BSFF. I hate it when life gets in the way.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
BuddyBliss

Post by BuddyBliss »

Hey, wanting to update this thread and support our own Eric in such an epic journey! Where is the best place to follow the race? The Cannonball site doesn't have quite the oomph I want in terms of following the riders. Anybody?
Suzy
Cheeky Seats
cdwise

Post by cdwise »

Typically Modern Vespa has a thread for the cannonball with a tracking map so you can see the position of people who are using FollowRide or posting pictures from a phone with gps location data embedded. This year's hasn't started yet but you can check out the 2012 thread http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic97180 ... l+official to see what to expect.

Started packing my waterproof bags last night and added Canadian service to my cellphone, its getting very close.
BuddyBliss

Post by BuddyBliss »

Cdwise, you are doing the Cannonball too? Have a great time!! We will see you on the finish line!
Suzy
Cheeky Seats
cdwise

Post by cdwise »

BuddyBliss wrote:Cdwise, you are doing the Cannonball too? Have a great time!! We will see you on the finish line!
Yep, taking the Sports City 250 my son usually rides to school. Been blogging about my prep so far at http://cheryldwise.com

Rode our Buddy yesterday for the first time in I don't know how long. Forgot just how nimble it is compared to the heavier scoots we own.