Scooter Cannonball 2014

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

BootScootin'FireFighter

Scooter Cannonball 2014

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

The vote is in and the results are as follows:

Amerivespa Route: Hyder, AK to New Orleans, LA: 28 Votes.

Anniversary Route: Virginia Beach, VA to Santa Monica, CA: 19 Votes

Ergo, we are going to Alaska and will depart from there around June 1st for an expected arrival in New Orleans around June 12th.

The departure and arrival dates may slip in either direction by a day or two, but the First through the 12th will get you into the ballpark. The Cannonball ends where Amerivespa begins so 2014 is likely to be a very rare Cannonball twofer. Plan to take a few days in New Orleans for Amerivespa, it is worth it.
This from the CB forum. Good scoop. Time to get the gears turning. Think about shipping or riding options, support services, all that good stuff.

Go to http://www.scootercannonball.com/ for the latest discussions on the forums, including more specifics on the route as it develops.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

Holyyyy smokes! What a great route. I would love to do that but not in a cannonball format.. I know lame. :lol: I have come to realize I have to pee too often and like get a good night sleep so I'm not c'ball material...but I can dream about doing it. Like in a 4 week time frame! :P
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

That will be one epic ride, and I can't wait to live vicariously through you guys again next year.

My bet would be on the 80's Elite 250's.
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

So north south or south north it is! Well...this should be interesting! Now to decide what to run. Yes I'm building a bike that will get me at about a 98% handicap.

My 2006 Buddy 161 would get me a 106% handicap not a big difference there but I do think I can get a higher top speed out of my build and I can cary a spare motor.
Last edited by BuddyRaton on Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
TVB

Post by TVB »

So someone noticed that "coast to coast" doesn't have to mean "Pacific to Atlantic". (Yes, I know that the Gulf of Mexico is technically the Atlantic Ocean, but that's now how people think of it.) Maybe someday a Cannonball from Sault Ste Marie to Cancún? :)
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Scooter Cannonball 2014

Post by jrsjr »

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:This from the CB forum. Good scoop. Time to get the gears turning. Think about shipping or riding options, support services, all that good stuff.
How many of us east coasters are there?
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

I'm about as far away from the start as you can get in South Florida on the east coast

3876 miles to the start...60 hours
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Throwback7R

Post by Throwback7R »

looks like you need to get a passport... hum.. or not.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Throwback7R wrote:looks like you need to get a passport... hum.. or not.
Dude I have so many stamps in my passport I'm gonna need to add pages. Also if I want to travel to certain countries I will need to get a second one
www.teamscootertrash.com

TVB

Post by TVB »

Entry into the US from Canada does require a passport. In olden days you could get by with a driver's license, but not anymore.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Punch List:

1) Cannonball-eligible Scooter
2) Passport
:wink:
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

jrsjr wrote:Punch List:

2) Passport
What kind of scooter might be in order? I'm guessing there is going to be some serious elevation riding at least twice through Canadian and US Rockies during the ride.... At least those living vicariously at home are hoping so! I cant wait to see the route, hopefully they keep it kind of north and then shoot south through the Appalachians (tail,of the dragon!!!), as opposed to going through TX or what not. But then I have no handle on what is logical or practical, only what would be awesome :lol: fuel injection would be nice, but I'm sure that would cost some points in the formula since it would mean a newer scoot.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

peabody99 wrote:
jrsjr wrote:Punch List:

2) Passport
What kind of scooter might be in order?
An older-model Helix is on my short list. :wink:
TVB

Post by TVB »

peabody99 wrote:I'm guessing there is going to be some serious elevation riding at least twice through Canadian and US Rockies during the ride.... At least those living vicariously at home are hoping so! I cant wait to see the route, hopefully they keep it kind of north and then shoot south through the Appalachians (tail,of the dragon!!!), as opposed to going through TX or what not.
I just punched "Hyder, AK to New Orleans, LA" into Google Maps, and the route it gave was about 3400 miles through British Columbia,* Alberta, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado (most of that following the Rockies), then though Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, and Louisiana. The "avoid highways" route is slightly shorter, and goes BC, AB, SK, ND, SD, NE, KS, OK, TX, LA (taking the Plains instead of the Rockies).

To even touch the southwest end of the Appalachians would require adding over 500 miles to the route. The Scooter Cannonball target is 3500, so I can't see it deviating much from one of Google's suggested driving routes.

*"Downtown" Hyder is half a mile from the AK/BC border.
Throwback7R

Post by Throwback7R »

BuddyRaton wrote:
Dude I have so many stamps in my passport I'm gonna need to add pages. Also if I want to travel to certain countries I will need to get a second one
I guess I am a little too tin foil hat for a passport. Also, the cost for a passport and how much I will use it just do not seem worth it at this time.
That is just me..
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

Dang it! I would veto all the flat, hot part of the route... but then it's not my arse in the seat. Maybe faster is quicker. :? That is why I need a month long ride, all scenic though. Maybe broken up by a few hot tubs and local wine. I guess this loses the CB spirit though.. Sigh, I guess I am too old to run away from home, except in my head! :lol:

As a side note the Helix is so comfy. I don't have the back rest and think I could ride forever. There is a reason this is the ride of choice of aged, full figured men.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

peabody99 wrote:As a side note the Helix is so comfy. I don't have the back rest and think I could ride forever. There is a reason this is the ride of choice of aged, full figured men.
Punch List

3) Lose 25 pounds :P
TVB

Post by TVB »

peabody99 wrote:I need a month long ride, all scenic though. Maybe broken up by a few hot tubs and local wine.
:D Have you read my blog? As we say here in Michigan: "Si quæris peninsulam amœnam circumspice!" (The southwest and northwest lakeshores have excellent wine.)
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

peabody99 wrote:Dang it! I would veto all the flat, hot part of the route... but then it's not my arse in the seat. Maybe faster is quicker. :? That is why I need a month long ride, all scenic though. Maybe broken up by a few hot tubs and local wine. I guess this loses the CB spirit though.. Sigh, I guess I am too old to run away from home, except in my head! :lol:

As a side note the Helix is so comfy. I don't have the back rest and think I could ride forever. There is a reason this is the ride of choice of aged, full figured men.
The route is a big factor in deciding what bike to buy, bring, build. From what I've seen so far the max elevation is about 11,000 feet.

So what bike? Something with high torque that can climb like a mutha? Something that can dive bomb the twisties? Something that can gobble up miles of the flats.

What's going to get the best handicap and performance combination? I think the modern 250s are going to be at a dissadvantage.

For example a 2011 GT 250 (244cc) will have a 124% handicap. With a published actual top speed of 73 mph the adjusted top speed is 59 mph.

This could be the year where vintage and smaller displacement scooters have an edge.

Im building a 1979 215 cc motor that will have a ton of torque that will go into a 1964 or 1967 frame. My handicap will be 97 or 98%. For me running at 70 mph gives me an adjusted top speed of 71-72 mph. That's a signifigant difference from 59 mph!

It will be interesting and fun to see what happens!
www.teamscootertrash.com

BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

I was just curious how a stock 2009 Buddy with over 35,000 miles would fare. Even if I brought a spare engine and all major components as well. I don't know much about serious elevation changes, as CBR 2012 didn't cover much of that other than the continental divide.

On another note, there's talk about a possible similar ride called the "Scooter Gumball Rally". They have a facebook page and it's going to be more of a laid back pace, with their proposed route of Virginia Beach to Santa Monica. I'm going to play it by ear and probably choose one of these two events. I would like to ride there and back, whichever event I enter.... so that could be a major deciding factor for me. Standing by for now. A new bike for this event is not a possibility, it will have to be one of the Buddys.
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

You can figure that at 11,000 feet, the Budddy's top speed with be around 34-40 mph, if it's flat. I ridden a lot at 9000 feet and small displacement, carbureted bikes don't do well.

@Peabody - I'm with you. This would be a great ride, but if I'm going to spend that kind of money for a ride, i would want to be able to take enough time to enjoy it. Well, there's always 2016!

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Howardr wrote:You can figure that at 11,000 feet, the Budddy's top speed with be around 34-40 mph, if it's flat.
My experience at 9000 feet on the Blur was that I was able to make about 10-15 mph uphill. I was definitely tempted to paddle with my feet by the time we got to the top. It went much faster on the downhill side. :twisted:
TVB

Post by TVB »

jrsjr wrote:My experience at 9000 feet on the Blur was that I was able to make about 10-15 mph uphill. I was definitely tempted to paddle with my feet by the time we got to the top. It went much faster on the downhill side. :twisted:
For the record, my puny little under-powered "moped" has never slowed down that much. :P
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

TVB wrote:
jrsjr wrote:My experience at 9000 feet on the Blur was that I was able to make about 10-15 mph uphill. I was definitely tempted to paddle with my feet by the time we got to the top. It went much faster on the downhill side. :twisted:
For the record, my puny little under-powered "moped" has never slowed down that much. :P
For the record, I wish mine hadn't, either. :wink: The road just went straight up that stupid mountain for a long ways. When I saw how straight and steep the incline was, my heart sank, because the scooter was already laboring to maintain speed and folks in RVs were starting to blow around us. Some of this may have been due in part to the rider carrying a bit of excess fat around his middle (and some would say, between his ears :wink: ).
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Howardr wrote:You can figure that at 11,000 feet, the Budddy's top speed with be around 34-40 mph, if it's flat.
They do fine if the carb is set up correctly
www.teamscootertrash.com

viney266

Post by viney266 »

^^^ Nice thing about a vintage Vespa, the main jet swap is easy peasy ( not sure how to spell that :)).
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

viney266 wrote:^^^ Nice thing about a vintage Vespa, the main jet swap is easy peasy ( not sure how to spell that :)).
Have you ever see one of Hot Rod Al's vortex carbs? It's even easier peasier. I watched RobertSF adjust his by the side of the road during the 2004 CBR. It only took a second. I was like, "That's it? You're done?" Supposedly he was going to run a hush-hush prototype Hot Rod Al carb with a remote adjustment in 2006, but a giant storm flooded the basement of his home, damaging his ancient furnace, and knocking him out of the run completely. :(

File this under "Arcane Cannonball Lore."
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Keep following my build...the carb will be soon. :mrgreen: Yes the vortex does have an adjustable air mix.

Even if not adjustable a vintage vespa or Stella jet swap is no big deal. It's getting it right that is tough
www.teamscootertrash.com

cdwise

Post by cdwise »

jrsjr wrote:
My experience at 9000 feet on the Blur was that I was able to make about 10-15 mph uphill. I was definitely tempted to paddle with my feet by the time we got to the top. It went much faster on the downhill side. :twisted:
Was the Blur tuned for altitude? There are plenty of 50cc Buddys here in Breckenridge - town elevation 9,600 and they all go faster than that on the hills. Okay, climbing from Fairplay to Hooiser Pass which is a long grade they don't go more than 20 but those are 50s. Talked with one of the guys who has a Vespa ET 2 50cc and he takes his girlfriend up Boreas Pass for picnics over 1,500' elevation up from Breckenridge over 4 miles and swears he maintains 30 on the climb.The 150s - Vespas and 170i Buddys easily manage 45-50 on Highway 9. I know because I've been behind them. :) I suspect they could manage a bit more but road construction has had posted speeds with enforcement out.

I'm looking at logistics for getting there with my 2005 GTS 250. While its published top speed maybe 73 I've GPS it in the upper 80s. Though I'm more concerned with finishing than handicap or even placement. You guys who ride vintage or heavily modified for performance/handicap have fun.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Simple plan: Fly up there with the gear and locate a Kymco dealer in Alaska. Purchase an Agility 125, and now you have a 0-mile scooter. Take it gentle like getting to the rally start and you're good to go!

No expensive shipping costs and odds are the temporary new-bike registration will still be good by the time you finish the rally and get it back home. And, being a stock 125cc you get a good handicap if you're counting that kind of thing.

Seems like the smartest plan considering how cheap and how durable they are!
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

I have zero interest in Alaska unless I'm taking a cruise there.

BUT

Should I have the money/time (or still have the misfortune of being unemployed) I MIGHT consider a ROAD TRIP with some of my clubmates to Amerivespa. Never been to New Orleans... why not, right?
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

I just bought my Cannonball scooter! Deets later. After I get back from riding. :)
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Okay, here's my Cannonball scooter, a 2008 SYM HD 200. Yay! :D
Attachments
Kawabunga!
Kawabunga!
SYM HD 200 small.jpg (169.8 KiB) Viewed 2433 times
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

congrats! havent they done quite well in past CBR's? :)
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

peabody99 wrote:congrats! havent they done quite well in past CBR's? :)
They have been fast (I just rode mine home on the Interstate, no problem) and reliable and competitive. With me at the controls, you can probably expect last place :roll: but how many times in life do you get the chance to ride a scooter from Alaska to New Orleans? Plus this is the 10-year anniversary of the Cannonball and I was one of the original Cannonball riders in 2004, the oldest rider way back then, in fact. For me, just riding this time will be a personal win. I'm psyched. We can leave tonight as far as I'm concerned. :twisted:
Syd

Post by Syd »

Nice scoot! You should come over to the SYM Owners Forum and show off! To show how reliable they are, OopsClunkThud (Patrick) was planning to ride a Cannonball Special in 2008, I think, when it just crapped out; I don't remember the particulars. But Scoot! magazine had an '06 HD200 that they had been riding for a while that they let Patrick ride. Apparently he kicked butt. then four years later he rode the same stock scoot again, and got rolled over by the Frankenscoot, like everybody else. I can only hope my BV350 is as good as my HD200.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

jrsjr wrote:
They have been fast (I just rode mine home on the Interstate, no problem) and reliable and competitive. With me at the controls, you can probably expect last place :roll: but how many times in life do you get the chance to ride a scooter from Alaska to New Orleans? Plus this is the 10-year anniversary of the Cannonball and I was one of the original Cannonball riders in 2004, the oldest rider way back then, in fact. For me, just riding this time will be a personal win. I'm psyched. We can leave tonight as far as I'm concerned. :twisted:

Nice ride Patrick!....OOPS....jrsjr...see you in Hyder!
www.teamscootertrash.com

peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I thought the were a fews Sym200's competing in 08 (?) Am I misremembering? :P
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

BuddyRaton wrote:
jrsjr wrote:

:rofl: I am so totally looking forward to it.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I sort of lost track of all that parts availability stuff regarding sym and the fire. Can you order some extras now and then maybe you'll have them for the ride? I have to say I am really stoked some MB'ers are riding. I have reached the acceptance stage of the 5 stages of realizing I will not ride in a CBR and am ok with living vicariously through others. If and when I ever get enough accumulated vacation time, I'm so hitting the road!
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

jrsjr wrote:Okay, here's my Cannonball scooter, a 2008 SYM HD 200. Yay! :D
Very nice! I was really hoping you'd nabbed that Yager, but ya still done good. :wink:

I've kinda decide that if I ever lose my mind (and my job), I may try a Cannonball on either a Yamaha Beluga (Riva 80) or a Cygnus (Riva 180). The latter is a solid 55mph cruiser all day long and I have three of the darn things now. The former would be a challenge to run, but the motor's dirt-simple to work on.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

az_slynch wrote:
jrsjr wrote:Okay, here's my Cannonball scooter, a 2008 SYM HD 200. Yay! :D
Very nice! I was really hoping you'd nabbed that Yager, but ya still done good.
Thanks! It really came down to it. I was ready to buy the Kymco and then, providentially, I looked at my local Craigslist and there was a pristine SYM HD200 with matching Givi topcase and windshield listed at $1900, price negotiable. SOLD!!!
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Was it something I said?

Post by jrsjr »

Was it something I said?

Actually, it was something I did and they politely reinstated me one minute later. :wink: Still though, don't be surprised if you alter your profile in any way and this happens.

P.S. I want to add that the Powerball jackpot has just gone up to $400 Million. When I win, the official MB Cannonball support vehicle is going to be a Zeppelin NT.
Attachments
ScooterCannonballAccount.JPG
ScooterCannonballAccount.JPG (26.98 KiB) Viewed 2380 times
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

jrsjr wrote:
BuddyRaton wrote:
jrsjr wrote: They have been fast (I just rode mine home on the Interstate, no problem) and reliable and competitive. With me at the controls, you can probably expect last place :roll: but how many times in life do you get the chance to ride a scooter from Alaska to New Orleans? Plus this is the 10-year anniversary of the Cannonball and I was one of the original Cannonball riders in 2004, the oldest rider way back then, in fact. For me, just riding this time will be a personal win. I'm psyched. We can leave tonight as far as I'm concerned. :twisted:

:rofl: I am so totally looking forward to it.
110% handicap might not be too bad!It will be an adventure! Support is going to be the tough part. I'm looking at getting the band back together but I may have to recruit Sammy Hagar.

And lets be real...Patrick could out ride almost anyone even if he was on a Puch! Looking forward to seeing you in Hyder!
www.teamscootertrash.com

cdwise

Re: Was it something I said?

Post by cdwise »

jrsjr wrote:Was it something I said?

Actually, it was something I did and they politely reinstated me one minute later. :wink: Still though, don't be surprised if you alter your profile in any way and this happens.
Jess said they had a rash of spambots so you may have been caught in whatever cleanup they were doing over there.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Working out the logistics for this CBR could take someone until May 2014!

Setting aside everything between the start and finish. Just getting to Hyder…

Hyder, AK is inaccessible from anywhere in the US by road.
"Stewart, British Columbia is 2 miles (3 km) away by road. The AMHS ferry that used to connect Hyder to Ketchikan stopped running in the 1990s, leaving the only public transportation between Hyder and the rest of Alaska the Taquan Air floatplane that arrives twice a week with U.S. Mail."

Want to get to Stewart?
"The nearest transportation hub for connecting to buses, trains, and flights is Terrace, 337km/204mi south. Driving to Terrace takes about four hours."

Riders may need a support driver AND a seaplane pilot!
neotrotsky wrote:Simple plan: Fly up there with the gear and locate a Kymco dealer in Alaska. Purchase an Agility 125, and now you have a 0-mile scooter. Take it gentle like getting to the rally start and you're good to go!

No expensive shipping costs and odds are the temporary new-bike registration will still be good by the time you finish the rally and get it back home. And, being a stock 125cc you get a good handicap if you're counting that kind of thing.

Seems like the smartest plan considering how cheap and how durable they are!
The closest Kymco dealer is about 1400 miles away. And they're not easy miles.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
cdwise

Post by cdwise »

You can take a ferry to Port Rupert a mere 280 miles from Hyder. There is a road from Fairbanks to Hyder but you need a passport since you have to go through Canada Yukon for most of the journey. https://www.google.com/maps?q=Fairbanks ... er&t=m&z=5

So you either get your scooter trailered up there or do as some are talking about and shipping to Seattle then riding the 900 from there to Hyder. Yes, logistics are being a bitch for 2014.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

When this was posted I actually looked at the population and it was so low, I'm sure they don't even have a hotel in Hyder! I was thinking they would need host families :D ...and then I thought about the time I went to Alaska and out into the Yukon to White Horse and the roads became all dirt. It's going to be interesting for sure. You can tell all the dreamers (love them!) showed up on voting day for this route :) it is BEAUTIFUL out there though. I hope all goes as planned.
TVB

Post by TVB »

Yeah, the practical geography of SE Alaska may surprise a lot of lower-48-ers. (Which I am, but I've been through the area by ship, so I get to show off here what I know about the place. :) ) The towns here are on fjords connected to the Pacific Ocean, and are separated from the rest of the mainland - and each other - by glaciers and mountains. They might as well be on islands (and some of them are). Travel between them is by boat (there are regular ferries up and down the Inside Passage), or maybe by air. Even the capital city of Juneau can't be reached by road. (The infamous "Bridge to Nowhere" was to be built in Juneau.) Hyder is at the end of a very long fjord, and the only reason you can ride from there to New Orleans at all is the fact that it's at the tip of the panhandle and far enough inland to link up with the roads into British Columbia.
cdwise

Post by cdwise »

Apparently Hyder has a camp ground and a lodge. There is also lodging in Steward, Canada which is only 3km away. Seems it is a jumping off place for a lot of motorcycle adventure riders though that doesn't help all that much with logistics. :wink: