161 Kit

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

joettrux

161cc kit

Post by joettrux »

Hi guys,

I am new to the forum. I have a 2006 buddy 125 that I just ordered the BBK (161cc) for as well as a 150 head and cam, prima pipe and 2000 rpm spring.

looking for any guidance. I read in one thread that the piston needs to be oriented in a certain mannor is this correct? I can not find the post again and want to make sure I do the install correctly. also, what jetting are you guys running, I read that a 108-110 main jet is a good starting point. Which gasket do you use in the kit for a 150 head.. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thank you,
Joe.
JettaKnight

Re: 161cc kit

Post by JettaKnight »

joettrux wrote:Hi guys,

I am new to the forum. I have a 2006 buddy 125 that I just ordered the BBK (161cc) for as well as a 150 head and cam, prima pipe and 2000 rpm spring.

looking for any guidance. I read in one thread that the piston needs to be oriented in a certain mannor is this correct? I can not find the post again and want to make sure I do the install correctly. also, what jetting are you guys running, I read that a 108-110 main jet is a good starting point. Which gasket do you use in the kit for a 150 head.. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thank you,
Joe.
The kit comes with instructions that covers most of what you ask.

Yes, 110 is a good starting point for the jet.
joettrux

Post by joettrux »

Thank you! Much appreciated
jdanderson1449

Post by jdanderson1449 »

I want to see if I can help clear the air about supposed "top speed" modifications.

You're not going to make your scoot go faster by making it "bigger." You can throw big bore parts at your scooter all day long and all you're going to do is affect your displacement.

If you want real "speed mods," spend your dough on transmission mods. You don't necessarily have to change your final reduction gears. You DO have to modify your CVT though. Increase the size of your variator drive face, effectively modify your top speed. You can also change the profile of how your scooter moves by changing the shape of the face of the pulley.

I can wax poetic about different variators all day long but you need to change the size of your pulleys and belt to increase your top speed.

Stop throwing motor parts at your bikes and throw the money where it needs to go. CVT!

Any questions, PM me and I'll tell you what I've done, am doing and am toying around with doing.
09 Blackjack (less than stock)
00 Suzuki SV650
69 Honda CL450 (sold)
Benzo Mike

Post by Benzo Mike »

Yes, and no. If your scooter will not pull true redline in top "gear" (CVT ratio), and no stocker or lightly modified scoot will, there is a ton of speed to be had through engine mods. It's not at all in the trans. Trust me, there are at least 3000-4000 RPM on the table before the conrod snaps, that is worth about 15 MPH. For the love of all things holy, I picked up 11 MPH already via correct (and I mean CORRECT) tuning over the already OK stock setup.

I have so much yet to say on this subject, maybe another time. This motor should (and will) pull around 11K RPM with some reliability, you stock setup folks are MAYBE pulling 7-8K wound out on a long, flat road. Main reason for that is CRAZY lean main jetting from the factory. And I can help you out some more, maybe via PM or something.

I'm considering going soon into information shutdown mode, in preparation for a Bonneville run. Inspired by a couple PM's, you know who you are. I do think (and it's been claimed before) that 100+ MPH is possible, only depends on the rules, which I have not yet thoroughly investigated.
New signature - you don't care what else I have, and I don't care to tell you about it. I have a 2009 Buddy Italia, let's leave it at that.
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

Benzo Mike wrote: I do think (and it's been claimed before) that 100+ MPH is possible, only depends on the rules, which I have not yet thoroughly investigated.
Are you going to give it a dirt bike tune?
jdanderson1449

Post by jdanderson1449 »

No doubt that these little motors can achieve great things, I just believe that anyone not seeking a land speed record should skip the big bore kit.

Start with the most gain per dollar modifications, in my mind. Ditch the stock CDI and coil for a no rev limiter, advanced ignition timing box. Add direct ignition coil pack. Tune the CVT, change final reduction gearing, tune carb.

No need to pop the top until you've done those things for a street rider. My Blackjack with those will keep up with all the slack jaw street riders here.
09 Blackjack (less than stock)
00 Suzuki SV650
69 Honda CL450 (sold)
rick71454

Post by rick71454 »

Hello BuddyLand:

Looking for more speed on a Buddy 125?
Save your time and money.........
Your better off getting an Buddy 150 or 170i.

Rick71454
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

The question that a lot of people forget to ask is "What do I want my mods to do"

Make it more fun to ride?
Higher top speed?
Better acceleration?
More torque?

Answer that question and then do your homework! Too many people slap a kit on and expect it to do magical things. I modded with a 161, air box carb upgrade and NCY pipe. What was I looking for? A bit more acceleration and torque, not so much a big gain in top speed.

In other words...more fun (for me) to ride! I accomplished what I set out to do. If you're looking for higher top speed the set up I have probably isn't going to do too much. I knew that before starting!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Up-gears for the final drive. No one has ever layed out what works from what on what. No complete sets offered (to my knowledge). I know some stock engines wont push a up-gears, thats when you add a big bore. I mostly mess with 2t Zumas and we have many choices in up-gears, with proven results. I dont know why the Buddy 125's dont have any up-gear options (again-not to my knowledge) with part #'s and verified results. Just seems strange. Up-gears are the easiest and most reliable way to gain top speed as far as Im concerned.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

sc00ter wrote:Up-gears for the final drive. No one has ever layed out what works from what on what. No complete sets offered (to my knowledge). I know some stock engines wont push a up-gears, thats when you add a big bore. I mostly mess with 2t Zumas and we have many choices in up-gears, with proven results. I dont know why the Buddy 125's dont have any up-gear options (again-not to my knowledge) with part #'s and verified results. Just seems strange. Up-gears are the easiest and most reliable way to gain top speed as far as Im concerned.
Buddy Psycho gearing is a known upgrade and is a direct swap-in.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
rick71454

Post by rick71454 »

Hello BuddyLand:

I agree that up-gearing would contribute to more top speed. The Buddy 150 & 170i have higher gear ratios to take advantage of the power these engines have over the 125. So if you can do the 161 kit with upgearing, then yes, you have more top speed.

This stuff with simply only bigger carbs, less restrictive exhaust, roller weights, CDIs are not so effective in increasing top speed.

Rick71454