*clunk* sounds - 2012 Buddy 170i

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

roblinx

*clunk* sounds - 2012 Buddy 170i

Post by roblinx »

Hello all...

My Buddy 170 has ~6000 miles on it, and runs great in general. This year I've noticed a *clunk* noise coming from the motor. I haven't been able to reproduce it on demand, but it seems to happen under these (combined) conditions:

- decelerating (throttle off)
- usually starting around 10-15 mph down to near stopping
- need to have accelerated past about 30 mph
- engine needs to have been warmed up
- doesn't happen when stopped
- doesn't happen when accelerating

My guess (based on a rather limited knowledge of the specifics of the CVT) is that it's something to do with the transmission? Perhaps the rollers returning to idle position? If that's even a thing?

Thanks, Buddy buddies!

RL
easy

Post by easy »

That's the speed that the cvt release and you start coasting. I'd check my rollers and clean up the clutch.
what did you trade the day for?
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

You're in chi-town so I imagine you have a dealer/shop nearby? I would recommend taking advantage of your Warranty 1st. At 6K miles, you're probably due for rollers but if you are hearing a 'clunk', I wouldn't take any chances.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

yeah if you haven't changed your rollers yet that clunk could be something now square that used to be round :)
roblinx

Post by roblinx »

The warranty just expired. :-)

Would roller replacement be something within reach of someone moderately handy but with no experience with scooter motors? I have changed my oil, but that's about it.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

roblinx wrote:The warranty just expired. :-)

Would roller replacement be something within reach of someone moderately handy but with no experience with scooter motors? I have changed my oil, but that's about it.
It's actually pretty easy. You will need a strap wrench and metric sockets for taking things apart (preferably an impact driver) and torque wrench, strap wrench + blue LocTite for putting things back together.
A couple of guides here:
topic5411.html
topic5444.html

These are basically the same steps for breaking down the front half of the CVT for periodic cleaning.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
Throwback7R

Post by Throwback7R »

Yea i would say CVT as well.. also check the clutch and belt to see if it is with in limits.