Stuck Part

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

dlsands

Stuck Part

Post by dlsands »

I am having a hard time removing the sleeve/collar in the attached picture. I replaced the roller weights and cannot get this off. Tried heating with a torch and all that did was burn my finger :(

Any ideas?
Attachments
IMG_3930.jpg
IMG_3930.jpg (28.54 KiB) Viewed 683 times
SYMbionic Duo

Post by SYMbionic Duo »

I could be wrong, but that looks like that's the actual output shaft.
Nothing is Foolproof to a sufficiently talented Fool.
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

You want to hear the collar evenly all they way around 200-300f. Or hot enough to fry spit. Don't burn the oil seal behind it. That part doesn't usually get stuck on there. Is it rusted? Did you spray it with pblaster or kroil??
Throwback7R

Post by Throwback7R »

spray some pb blaster on it let it soak in .. could try heating it again however watch the seals on the other side.
Lagerhead

Post by Lagerhead »

I've had to do this twice already (2 different bikes) the most recent about 3 hours ago.

Use a three jaw bearing puller.
A cheap one will work fine or I'll bet you can rent one at an auto parts store.
You will probably end up bending the backing plate but I would replace it and the sliding boss anyway. (i.e. replace the entire variator.)
Also, once it's off clean the crankshaft with some fine sand paper.

Look at the back of the backing plate and the crown washer to see if there is a shiny wear circle, this may indicate excessive free play in the crank bearings. If so you will probably notice oily residue around the bearing area. This is bad. :(