10 Things Every Motorbike Rider Should Own

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Rusty Shackleford

10 Things Every Motorbike Rider Should Own

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

Disclaimer: I originally wrote this for motorcycles. Scooters already facilitate some of the functionality below, but you get the idea.
  1. Full Face Helmet: Not only does it protect your face from bugs, rocks, and dirt; it also keeps your chin attached to your body in the event a crash puts you face-down on the pavement.
  2. Armored Jacket: When you tumble across the road in a crash, you'll be thankful you had armor on your shoulders, elbows, and back. These areas can take a serious beating.
  3. Riding Gloves: Real riding gloves are contoured for hand-grips and have the appropriate padding in the event of a fall. They may cost more than regular gloves, but they're superior in every way.
  4. Backpack: When you ride a motorbike, you don't have the option of just "leaving your stuff in the car". You can add accessories to accommodate cargo, but nothing is quicker, easier, and more cost effective than just hopping off the bike with all your stuff in your backpack. It leaves you hands-free and provides plenty of space for everything you need for the trip. It's also a great place to keep needed riding items such as a small towel, your gloves, locks, medicine, etc.
  5. Wire-Frame Polarized Sunglasses: Polarized glasses cut out glare without needing to be tinted dark. This is excellent when riding at dawn/dusk. It keeps the sun from blinding you and still allows you to see. Wire frames are far more comfortable over long distances to wear inside a helmet than plastic frames.
  6. Cable Lock: At some point, you're going to need to lock your helmet and jacket to your bike. The easiest way to stop your gear from being stolen by opportunist thieves and still not have to carry all that stuff around with you is a cable lock. Keep the key on the same key ring as your bike key, and keep the lock in your backpack when not in use.
  7. Riding Jeans: The vast majority of riders overlook leg protection. There are many companies out there that make kevlar lined motorcycle jeans that that won't tear through when sliding across pavement. I strongly prefer Drayko. They're the only ones that are CE rated and they look as fashionable, if not more so, than regular jeans. They're pricey, but worth it.
  8. Thermal Pants: When it's cold outside, thermal under-pants are a must. They fit skin tight, so they're easy to put on under your riding jeans. They're also very cheap and easily washable.
  9. Scarf: This is the easiest way to keep cold air from blasting you in the neck during chilly rides. It's an area that can can down right painful in those circumstances. Wrap the scarf around your neck and tuck it into your jacket. You'll be able to ride all day long.
  10. Boots: I see people ride in tennis shoes, and even worse, carry passengers in flip-flops in the summer time. Wear boots. You need ankle support and a rigid sole. Your feet will also bang against the pavement in a crash - hard.
Last edited by Rusty Shackleford on Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C'mon, sko sko sko!
skully93

Post by skully93 »

don't forget:

11) Tools and knowledge of how to work on your bike, or if you are me:

12) a good line of credit

:P
skully93

Post by skully93 »

In all seriousness I agree. Just purchased a very nice leather for the winter riding. Overpants to follow.

I don't always wear my boots, and sometimes, just sometimes, I go without my jacket. I know it's riskier, and I cope accordingly.

However, I own all those things, and wear them a tremendous portion of the time.
Rusty Shackleford

skully93 wrote:don't forget: 11) Tools and knowledge of how to work on your bike...:P
True! A lot of bikes come with tools. I get that response more than any other, actually. :) This is more for the casual rider, though I'm really wanting a cheap impact wrench these days. :wink:
C'mon, sko sko sko!
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

It's also a good idea to make sure that you set up emergency contact number(s) on your mobile device "just in case". Also insurance/roadside contact info (phone numbers, account/policy numbers, etc.). Makes getting in touch a lot easier when you're too busted up or too flustered to think clearly.
Danielm

Post by Danielm »

I just got my scooter and I'm already using the majority of those. There are a couple other scooter riders in my town, none of them even wear a helmet, usually a tshirt, shorts, probably flip flops and no gloves. Meanwhile I'm in a full face helmet, armored jacket, etc. I'll deal with the extra time and "hassle" for the peace of mind.
Rusty Shackleford

Good on ya for wearing gear... :atgatt:

Here's the Google Image Search for "Road Rash" :shock:
C'mon, sko sko sko!
avonpirate

Post by avonpirate »

Good to see ya Rusty! :D
She with the most 'used' toys wins.

Rob

Re: 10 Things Every Motorbike Rider Should Own

Post by Rob »

Excellent list that brings a couple of things to mind.
Rusty Shackleford wrote: Full Face Helmet: Not only does it protect your face from bugs, rocks, and dirt; it also keeps your chin attached to your body in the event a crash puts you face-down on the pavement.]
What about modulars? Common sense would tell you they aren't as safe as full face helmets as there are additional potential failure points ..... but are there any real examples of that actually happening, failure rates, etc?
Rusty Shackleford wrote: Riding Jeans: The vast majority of riders overlook leg protection. There are many companies out there that make kevlar lined motorcycle jeans that that won't tear through when sliding across pavement. I strongly prefer Drayko. They're the only ones that are CE rated and they look as fashionable, if not more so, than regular jeans. They're pricey, but worth it..
Are the Drayko's comfortable? I've tried a couple of different types of Kevlar jeans but found them to be uncomfortable to the point that I stop using them.
Rusty Shackleford wrote: Thermal Pants: When it's cold outside, thermal under-pants are a must. They fit skin tight, so they're easy to put on under your riding jeans. They're also very cheap and easily washable..
I would add windshear fleece to this. You can wear/layer this under an outer garment and it does a great job of keeping you warm.
Rusty Shackleford wrote: [*]Boots: I see people ride in tennis shoes, and even worse, carry passengers in flip-flops in the summer time. Wear boots. You need ankle support and a rigid sole. Your feet will also bang against the pavement in a crash - hard.[/list]
While they aren't true riding boots, I suggest Ecco leather boots to those looking for some additional protection and outstanding comfort. Far and away the most comfortable boots I've ever worn.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
Rob

Post by Rob »

charlie55 wrote:It's also a good idea to make sure that you set up emergency contact number(s) on your mobile device "just in case". Also insurance/roadside contact info (phone numbers, account/policy numbers, etc.). Makes getting in touch a lot easier when you're too busted up or too flustered to think clearly.
I don't know if this is true or is urban legend, but I've been told that if you set up a contact number with the name ICE (In Case of Emergency), that first responders will check your phone and use that if necessary.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

Rob wrote:
charlie55 wrote:It's also a good idea to make sure that you set up emergency contact number(s) on your mobile device "just in case". Also insurance/roadside contact info (phone numbers, account/policy numbers, etc.). Makes getting in touch a lot easier when you're too busted up or too flustered to think clearly.
I don't know if this is true or is urban legend, but I've been told that if you set up a contact number with the name ICE (In Case of Emergency), that first responders will check your phone and use that if necessary.

Rob
I was told this by an EMT I know. However... I don't think they will use it unless you are out cold, not with anybody who can identify you, etc.

When I got hit, that was a major accident. But my cel phone was in an inside zipper pocket on the front of my chest in my armored jacket, and I knew it was totally undamaged. I couldn't move at the scene of the accident, and as soon as I was in the ambulance they gave me morphine... I didn't trust my mind after that. I kept telling them where my cel phone was and to call my mother, sister, or roommate. They ignored me all the way until I was in the ER room, helmet off, and as settled in as I could be in that situation... then a hospital social worker came and talked to me and got my mom and sister's, and I guess my roomie's, number... I don't know if it was my family or the hospital that called my roomie but I know it was roomie that called Lokky; come to think of it, it would be interesting to see a timeline or tree of how communication between my friends and family went that day).

Apparently, I was impressively lucid even after being given doses of morphine and dilaudid; I rattled off my social, several people's phone numbers, and probably my address, phone number, everything else they needed to know about me and more. But if I hadn't been, I am sure they would have followed my directions to pull out my phone and use it.

Even if you don't have ICE contacts in your phone, it is a good reason to keep your close friends and family who need to know immediately in a situation listed as 'mom', 'dad', 'aunt', 'sister', 'fiance', 'roommate'... not under their name. That way if emergency personnel is looking through your phone for somebody to call, they know.
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

patience and a sense of humor. R
Rusty Shackleford

Rob wrote:
Rusty Shackleford wrote: Riding Jeans: The vast majority of riders overlook leg protection. There are many companies out there that make kevlar lined motorcycle jeans that that won't tear through when sliding across pavement. I strongly prefer Drayko. They're the only ones that are CE rated and they look as fashionable, if not more so, than regular jeans. They're pricey, but worth it..
Are the Drayko's comfortable? I've tried a couple of different types of Kevlar jeans but found them to be uncomfortable to the point that I stop using them.
Drayko is very comfortable. The material is specifically designed to be. It even has a slight stretch to it to accommodate sitting in a bike posture for long periods of time. More comfortable than regular jeans on longer rides, IMHO.
C'mon, sko sko sko!
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I have everything but #5, I will substitute with a tire pressure gauge and bungee cords :) and I don't have the jeans, but I have armored pants.
Sassy Chassis

Post by Sassy Chassis »

I have all that and more, with the exception of the wire rimmed glasses. I have a dark tinted face shield on my helmet that I use when it is sunny and a clear one for night.

I picked up some Kevlar and armored jeans by 'Bilt' and they are pretty nice. Look for them at Cycle Gear online.

Not much need for a scarf down here, but I will throw in my neck warmer if needed.

Heck, I could go out in full track gear if I wanted too! My one piece leathers are quite sexy.
:P
TVB

Post by TVB »

Yeah, having a contact named "ICE" is becoming "a thing", and emergency personnel will look for it if you're uncommunicative. It's not a bad idea as far as it goes, but it doesn't help if you've put a lock code on your phone (which is a very good idea, given how attractive phones are to thieves). A card in your wallet labeled "in case of emergency" with a couple names and phone numbers works better.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Not only is my phone locked, instead of the customary four digits, mine unlocks with 10 digits (mandated by my company's mobile device mgmt software if I want to connect to our intranet, mail, tools, etc.). Oh, and five wrong attempts wipes the device. :D Good thing it works seamlessly with the Sena helmet Bluetooth rig.

So there's a business card with emergency numbers in my wallet with my license.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

I agree. I wear a half helmet because I csnt get the others over my cochlear
implant. I pretty well wear all the rest except a back pack. I tend to be a nut
when it comes to riding safely. Kid at the gym today rode in on a new Harley wearing a half helmet, T shirt, light weight jeans, and tennis shoes. He is an
accident/roadkill just waiting to happen. :roll:
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

Scarf? That's a good way to tangled up and strangled. They make neck warmers that look kinda like a turtleneck and won't unravel.
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"
TVB

Post by TVB »

Stitch wrote:Scarf? That's a good way to tangled up and strangled. They make neck warmers that look kinda like a turtleneck and won't unravel.
Apparently nobody told the Doctor:
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Stitch wrote:Scarf? That's a good way to tangled up and strangled. They make neck warmers that look kinda like a turtleneck and won't unravel.
I don't know about getting strangled with your scarf :wink: , but I agree that the fleece neck warmers are a really good thing.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Rob wrote:What about modulars? Common sense would tell you they aren't as safe as full face helmets as there are additional potential failure points ..... but are there any real examples of that actually happening, failure rates, etc?
I have seen nothing that suggests there are increased safety issues with modulars (as long as you wear them closed :wink: ). In my experience, they are usually bulker and heavier. Motorcycle police typically wear modulars. I personally prefer the Nolan N43e with a chinbar. It provides the protection but allows much improved visibility compared to most full face or modular designs.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Depending on the bike #5 can be a terrible idea.

Most LCD gauges are polarized so there is a good chance you will not be able to read them. A better choice is non-polarised with high UV protection

yes I saw this was originally written for a MC forum...but this is a scooter forum.

Backpack? Not for me, that's what the pet carrier and top box are for.

I agree with peabody, armored riding pants are superior to any jeans.

Every rider needs thermal pants?
Probably not in South Florida, Southern California, Mexico...etc
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Terr Bear

Post by Terr Bear »

Don't forget clean underwear!

I have to agree with your list. The full face helmet and body armor saved me from getting hurt, when I dropped my Blur back in March. (On some gravel).

I also wear armor over pants too. With my knees, I can't afford to take any chances with my legs. I can't wear jeans to work so I can wear the over pants over my work slacks.

Plus the bugs and dirt don't hurt when they hit your helmet face shield and body armor.

I just don't get the short sleeve, shorts, flip flops, no gloves riders I see.

I will trade looking overdressed for coming home in one piece.
"When your racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." Steve Mc Queen "Le Mans"
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

BuddyRaton wrote:Most LCD gauges are polarized so there is a good chance you will not be able to read them. A better choice is non-polarised with high UV protection
Even scarier, polarized glasses sometimes freak out when used with plastic helmet visors creating a rainbow effect that makes it hard to see clearly.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Rusty Shackleford

illnoise wrote:
BuddyRaton wrote:Most LCD gauges are polarized so there is a good chance you will not be able to read them. A better choice is non-polarised with high UV protection
Even scarier, polarized glasses sometimes freak out when used with plastic helmet visors creating a rainbow effect that makes it hard to see clearly.
Fair enough, guys. 8)
C'mon, sko sko sko!
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Polarized sunglasses are great, I actually have my prescription sunglasses polarized and I don't have a problem with my Scorpion helmet (or my gauges) but after I read about that somewhere, i tried out some other combinations and sometimes it's a problem. Just something to look out for when you're buying sunglasses and/or a helmet.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
TebKLR

Post by TebKLR »

Rusty Shackleford wrote:[
[*]Backpack: When you ride a motorbike, you don't have the option of just "leaving your stuff in the car". You can add accessories to accommodate cargo, but nothing is quicker, easier, and more cost effective than just hopping off the bike with all your stuff in your backpack. It leaves you hands-free and provides plenty of space for everything you need for the trip. It's also a great place to keep needed riding items such as a small towel, your gloves, locks, medicine, etc.

[/list]
I've found that a messenger or courier bag works better for me.